Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Clot whilst on Livial  (Read 839 times)

Katykitten

• First Flush
Clot whilst on Livial
« on: July 18, 2020, 08:40:31 AM »

I’m 62 and been on Livial for 10 years, diagnosed with a CRVO - retinal bleed, and partial loss of vision, still in shock and seeking info from others in same position. Blood pressure raised and told to come off Livial and take anti-hypertensives. However, reading that there are different approaches to this and that Livial can raise BP so unsure how to proceed???

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Clot whilst on Livial
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2020, 12:18:32 PM »

You could send an e-mail to Dr Currie who will charge for advice.  Who recommended stopping Livial?  Have you been seen in a menopause Clinic?

My first route would be the e-mail .......... let us know how you get on.

Hurdity

Re: Clot whilst on Livial
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2020, 07:57:08 AM »

Hi katykitten

:welcomemm:

So sorry to hear about your blood clot. This is a greater risk with oral HRT and it is generally advised that woman change to transdermal HRT once they reach 60 when clot and stroke risk are higher anyway, although other risk factors are important too eg lifestyle factors such as body weight ( fat), exercise, diet, smoking, alcohol and genetic factors.

Obviously the most important thing is to protect your health so the doc's instruction to stop the Livial is important, and also to control your blood pressure. Regarding that - do you have a monitor at home? Was it your blood pressure consistently raised or just one reading at the doctor's? I presume the former. That being the case there are as you probably know, ways to reduce blood pressure naturally so if it were me I wouldn't want to rush to take meds to reduce it, provided it is not dangerously high?

If you stop the livial maybe see what happens to your BP and also of course if other things need modifying like weight and exercise etc then these are important to attend to to try to maintain a lower BP? However your doc knows your medical history so it may be important for you to be on BP meds straight away. Maybe have that discussion with them if you are not keen on taking these just yet? Also, if you find your BP becomes normal and you still want to continue with HRT ( eg if symptoms return to a level you can't cope with) then it is possible to continue with HRT, but a transdermal type ie probably a combi patch - though these are still sporadically available I think.

Have you been told to stop the Livial straight away or can you taper off? I think it may be that you need to talk further with your doc before deciding the next course of action?

All the best

Hurdity x