Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Where to start?  (Read 2421 times)

KittyBee

Where to start?
« on: July 14, 2020, 09:52:41 PM »

I've been doing some reading around and I am pretty sure I am in the perimenopause. I haven't had a period this year, I can't remember when the last one was. I have attributed most of my symptoms to possible fibromyalgia (I am seeing a rheumatologist) or just getting older (I'm 47).

I was looking for some blood test results from a few years ago (trying to find iron levels as I think I might be anaemic) and I found the last time my hormone levels were checked was 2017, when my FSH level was 23 and my LH level was 21.

I don't have night sweats or regular hot flushes. I do have poor concentration, joint pains (particularly in my hands), tiredness due to unrefreshing sleep (although I am able to get to sleep OK), thinning hair, and occasional palpitations.

My rheumatologist has requested that I get some general blood tests done, but obviously these don't include hormone tests.

Is it worth contacting my GP to ask about blood tests? I don't know what to do next really.

Hurdity

Re: Where to start?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2020, 07:17:47 AM »

Hi KittyBee

Yes you are peri-menopausal! If you are over 45 and your cycle changes ie periods become less frequent and you have menopausal symptoms - that's it. No need for blood tests except of course to rule out other things eg vitamin and mineral deficiencies and general health, also thyroid function which can also start to go awry at this time.

However if your FSH levels were that high in 2017 and your cycle was becoming erratic back then, you have been peri-menopausal all this time. If you were diagnosed with firbomyalgia at the same time then it is possible that menopause is the cause and your declining hormones, provided thyroid is working well. They are doing you a disservice by sending you down this route. In my view your symptoms are either menopause or thyroid or both.

I would go to your GP and mention all your symptoms and say you think it's menopause (if the symptoms have happened in the last few years), and ask for baseline blood tests of other stuff ( thryoid, blood count etc) to check your general health.

I would also strongly consider HRT. You are not getting old! 47? You are a youngster! It is not normal to have those symptoms and accept them as part of ageing or rather expect to live with them for the next 40 years or so! If your periods have become that infrequent then you may well be in the last stages before menopause itself and as such, given your age you should really take oestrogen in the form of HRT( if no medical reason why not) to help protect your heart and bones. You should be pleasantly surprised at how some of your symptoms are relieved!

If you need any further help please do ask. There really is no need to suffer like this!

All the best and let us know what you decide :)

Hurdity x

KittyBee

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2020, 09:27:08 AM »

Hi Hurdity!

The symptoms have been going on since then, although the thinning hair is more recent.

The last blood tests I have where I can see results showed I was low in folate and ferritin, but just within normal range. My thyroid was checked and was ‘fine’. I was advised (when I started looking into causes for symptoms) to get my B12 and thyroid checked. I had an active B12 test done through my GP (after I wrote to him pointing out NICE guidelines) and I ended up doing a thyroid test through Medichecks. The results from that were ‘normal’ but that was a year or two ago.

I looked at our GP surgery website and there seem to be a couple of new GPs, so maybe one of them might be more useful?

I have been sent for so many tests in the last few years, and yet no-one has thought to link it to hormonal changes.  ::)

Doll 73

• First Flush
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2020, 10:01:05 AM »

Hi kitty bee. You sound exactly like myself aching joints no sleep tired all tired forgetful palpitations.  I am 47 too had a hysterectomy 6 years ago and kept my ovaries.  Had a blood test every thing else normal so defo think I'm perimenopause.  Spoke to my gp and she prescribed me hrt prognova 1mg. Gonna start them this week. I hope they start working.  I'm sick of feeling tired all the time. Abit scared of taking hrt but suppose if it dosent suit I will just stop it. I think you should defo get them bloods done but also go off your own body and symptoms.  Lots of options so maybe try some options x

KarineT

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2020, 04:22:02 PM »

I can't imagine that menopausal symptoms can last 40 years.  The menopause is permanent but its symptoms are not.  This is because our body eventually adjusts to a lower level of hormones.  If it adjusted itself during puberty, why couldn't it adjust itself after the menopause?

KarineT

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2020, 04:25:21 PM »

KittyBee, if you haven't had a period for 12 consecutive months you are considered postmenopausal and not perimenopausal unless another period shows up after the 12 months without one.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2020, 05:20:27 PM »

Hi!  As oestrogen levels drop muscles may become lax = aches and pains.  It is common during The Change to have various joint pains: fingers, wrists, carpal tunnel syndrome, frozen shoulder ......... and the body may become dry: inside and out  :o : skin, deep in the ears, nostrils, vagina  :o, scalp .........

Blood tests 4 hormone levels are reliably un-reliable.  Better to keep a mood/food/symptom diary and decide which symptom you would like to ease first. 

Menopause : literally the last monthly period.  Peri-menopause is the years leading up to our last period.  Which can throw up some challenges with various symptoms that can be upsetting.  1 should give HRT 4-6 months to see if it helps, usually the body doesn't get where it is suddenly unless hysterectomy has taken place. 

KarineT

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2020, 07:38:43 PM »

No way. Symptoms cannot last forever. In fact, I know a lot of ladies who are postmenopausal and they tell me they feel better than before the menopause.  They've never had HRT.

KarineT

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2020, 07:48:52 PM »

Why should symptoms stay with you for the rest of your life?  I cannot understand that at all.  While going through the puberty it might be stressful  but the body adapts itself and things settle down eventually. Why should it be different with the menopause?

KittyBee

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2020, 08:34:46 PM »

Hi!  As oestrogen levels drop muscles may become lax = aches and pains.  It is common during The Change to have various joint pains: fingers, wrists, carpal tunnel syndrome, frozen shoulder ......... and the body may become dry: inside and out  :o : skin, deep in the ears, nostrils, vagina  :o, scalp .........

Blood tests 4 hormone levels are reliably un-reliable.  Better to keep a mood/food/symptom diary and decide which symptom you would like to ease first. 

That's a good idea, thanks. I started Weight Watchers about a month ago, so my diet is much healthier (more fruit and veg, lower fat, more water). I haven't noticed any change in symptoms yet, but it could take a while.

I did notice some scalp 'tightness' which could be due to the skin getting drier.

Katejo

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2020, 09:31:44 PM »

Why should symptoms stay with you for the rest of your life?  I cannot understand that at all.  While going through the puberty it might be stressful  but the body adapts itself and things settle down eventually. Why should it be different with the menopause?
  I recommend that you read the many discussions of VA (vaginal atrophy) caused by a reduction of oestrogen.

KarineT

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2020, 08:14:58 AM »

Again, not everyone gets VA.

KarineT

« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2020, 09:50:01 AM »

To me, VA is a secondary condition of the menopause which affect some women.

Taking HRT is well and good but I'm sure that at some point GPs won't want to prescribe it to women over 65.  What do you do in this case? Do you approach an unaffordable menopause clinic to get it if your GP won't prescribe it to you anymore? 

KittyBee

« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2020, 11:56:17 AM »

I’ve submitted a request to my GP for a phone consultation, so will see what comes out of that.

Katejo

« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2020, 12:39:55 PM »

To me, VA is a secondary condition of the menopause which affect some women.

Taking HRT is well and good but I'm sure that at some point GPs won't want to prescribe it to women over 65.  What do you do in this case? Do you approach an unaffordable menopause clinic to get it if your GP won't prescribe it to you anymore?
For me  VA has been the main one. My flushes/night sweats have been very mild. I didn't consider HRT until I learnt about VA.
Pages: [1] 2