Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Anxiety and Menopause  (Read 2434 times)

sed

Anxiety and Menopause
« on: July 14, 2020, 12:23:06 PM »

I am new to this forum and hoping for some reassurance and comfort.  For the past 14 weeks I have been experiencing awful anxiety symptoms, physical symptoms being the worse.  After two blood tests I have been told I am in menopause and have been prescribed HRT.  Has anyone had this experience and have the HRT helped them?  I am just exhausted with worry and don’t know if I am holding on to these HRT only to be disappointed that they won’t make a difference.  :'(

jillydoll

• Hiya
Re: Anxiety and Menopause
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2020, 01:56:10 PM »

Hi Sed.  :welcomemm:
Glad you've found us. We're all in the same boat on here.
Sorry to hear your struggling.
The HRT does work, although, it could mean you have to find one that works for you, but hopefully, the one you have will do that. We don't know until we try, if that one is for us. But stay positive.
It may take a few weeks to kick in and make you feel better, but then other ladies have noticed a difference within a few days, we're all different.
Anxiety is the pits, I had it bad before my hrt kicked in.
What hrt did you get? I'm on Femoston conti, as I'm post meno. ( pills)
I'm sure someone will be on to offer advice soon.
Take a look at our different threads, 'this n that' is a good one, you may even get a laugh, were a great bunch and often laugh at ourselves. Join us, it may take your mind off your anxiety for a while.
Good luck, let us know how your getting on.

Jd xx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2020, 01:57:08 PM »

Hi!  Tell us more about yourself?  Age, children, ageing parents; do you work, have hobbies - we talk about most things on here.

:welcomemm:  If you put the name of the HRT into the search box you will see threads: make notes ;-)

Browse round.

How was your anxiety when you had regular periods?  Mine was bad in the few days prior but stopped when the bleed began = hormones.

sed

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2020, 02:32:49 PM »

Thanks for coming back to me so quickly.

I am 50 years old and have two children 27 and 17.  I am so confused.   When my anxiety really came to the forefront was at the beginning of lockdown.  Never physically felt it before (it may have been there but never so bad).  Thankfully I was working from home when it first started and actually thought I was dying of something...I don't know.  Breathlessness, achy muscles, dry mouth of which all I know is anxiety. I have had two chest x-rays and now the second blood test.   The first blood test about 10 weeks ago suggested I was perimenopausal - the last blood test revealed my hormone levels were suggesting I was menopausal (I can only listen to the dr).  He has put me on Femoston-conti 1mg/5mg tabs initially for 3 months to see how it goes.  I am not sure it is to get rid of anxiety but to help (I hope) with some of the horrendous symptoms that I am having.  I do have hot flushes and have had insomnia for about 3 days but seems to have corrected itself (fingers crossed). 

I am a legal PA and have had difficulties working - work have reduced my hours to help me cope at the moment.  Just want some peace.

sed

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2020, 02:41:48 PM »

My last period was in March and before that it was in November 2019.

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2020, 02:44:16 PM »

It's The Change - does what it says on the tin.  Menopause is 'end of menstruation'.  Peri is when strange symptoms may cause problems, some find keeping a mood/food/symptom diary useful.

It is suggested that 1 should continue with contraception until 2 years after the last period B4 50, also 12 months without a bleed tends to suggest menopause.  Mine periods waxed and waned for 2/3 years  ::).  You're getting the gaps then  ::) so you begin counting from March ;-)

As oestrogen levels drop so muscles may become lax = aches and pains and the body may become dry: inside and out  :o : skin, deep in the ears, nostrils, eyes, vagina ...... do read the threads about atrophy.

If the anxiety is the worst symptom than discus an anti-anxiety medication to help - some ladies require it along with HRT.  Maybe try Bachs rescue remedy mouth spray and yoga.  Do you have hobbies?

sed

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2020, 02:49:51 PM »

I use to love to walk, sit in coffee shops, read a paper, watch a movie online in the cafe but now, I don't feel I can do it.  My muscles are weak and I feel breathless at times.  Just scared to go out without being in a car when my husband is home.  I am getting CBT now - week 4.  Not sure if it is helping yet - right now I will try anything.  Just seems strange that anxiety, peri or meno have come down on me all at once.  Just tough.

sed

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2020, 02:51:06 PM »

Thanks, you're still in perimenopause. I think your doctor should have prescribed a sequi (sequential) treatment, not conti (continuous). I don't know much about HRT, though. I'm sure other members will help you.

Thanks - I think I should get a second opinion from the GP

Cazikins

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2020, 02:54:37 PM »

I agree - it sounds like you should be on a sequential HRT rather than continuous - have a look as this link which is available on this website,  print it off & show it to your doctor:
https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/perimeno.php

Hope you get it sorted.

sed

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2020, 03:02:32 PM »

thank you - I will ask to speak to another GP at our surgery - I will let you know how I get on.

Annie0710

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2020, 03:43:40 PM »

Hi and welcome.  Meno hit me hard and I had many of your symptoms.  Went from energetic to lethargic.  Went from healthy to feeling like I had some terminal illness.  It really can hit some women so hard.  I developed social anxiety, I think it started from feeling faint if I had to stand for long times, supermarket/pub etc and before I knew it I was too scared to go out.  I have been on oestrogen hrt for many years but the only thing that has helped my anxiety is adding in testosterone to my hrt .  Stay with us as someone else said it may take a while to get the right hrt and dose before you feel better but there’s some really knowledgable women here who can help guide you x

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2020, 03:46:16 PM »

Have you had a full blood count, Thyroid function and VitD levels tested recently.  We should't blame meno on all our symptoms ;-).  For me low VitD levels were weeding for 20 mins. then needing to sit still for 2 hours  :-\.  Medication sorted it.

sed

« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2020, 03:59:30 PM »

Yes, back in April  :-\

Last year I had low vitamin D so drs orders it’s a vitamin I have to take all the time.

I agree we shouldn’t always point to meno.  Just ticking all the boxes.  My anxiety is frightful and suddenly appeared at the same time as meno symptoms :-(

CLKD

« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2020, 04:12:10 PM »

Anxiety is awful.  ...... and breath.  Be kind to yourself.  Don't take on too much at a time.  Half a day, review.

Eat little and often which can help ease symptoms.  Even in the night ;-)

AG

« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2020, 06:20:40 PM »

Anxiety is a pretty awful symptom and I have had bouts of it on and off, and I agree that lockdown has not helped matters. Thyroid function disorders can also contribute to anxiety and it may be worth getting a full thyroid check (TSH, T4, T3, antibodies). I also noticed that what can help is reduce/cut out caffeine and doing some exercise with even a brisk walk being good. I hope you are feeling better soon. Things do get better again and the right do or HRT can help.
Pages: [1] 2