Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: British Gymnastics  (Read 1600 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
British Gymnastics
« on: July 13, 2020, 05:40:25 PM »

where were the parents  :-\

Although I understand that 2 parents approached British Gymnastics the worries that they raised were ignored  :'(

Kids want to be validated. Kids want to follow their dreams  :-\ not be bullied.  In front of other adults ........... 1 child was smacked which left a mark on the thigh, how was that not noticed by a parent?  Were the parents trying to live through their children ........ that's why our Archery Club  insist on a guardian/parent with the young adult at all times.  We are not a creche!

Salad

Re: British Gymnastics
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2020, 11:48:28 PM »

My daughter was a county gymnast, so I’ve been really interested in the recent news.

Some clubs didn’t ‘allow’ parents to watch training so I guess parents might not have been aware, if their child didn’t tell them.
I struggle a bit more with fellow coaches not stepping up and reporting.

I can remember being at a competition and a coach behaved very badly towards his gymnast. If that had been my daughter it would have been the last time the coach had anything to do with her.

So sad to hear these events happened.

CLKD

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2020, 08:25:46 AM »

I do feel that, in order to support those younger gymnasts, that the older ones should walk away from the Olympics next year and put their energies into making sure that this type of issue is stamped out.  I don't think that they should be saying 'it happened to me' but continuing.

One has to be aware of Clubs that have a no-parent rule  :-\.  I left my dog for a shampoo and 'set' many years ago and wasn't allowed to go with her, the 3rd time she sat down and didn't want to go in.  I regret to this day not listening to her, I heard later that a dog had been drugged in order to get it hand stripped etc.; he had to be PTS due to trauma behind closed doors  :'(

Our Club doesn't be a creche ;-)

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2020, 05:21:53 PM »

Amy Tinkler:

She said: "I'm so proud of my fellow gymnasts who have shared their stories. I know how hard it is and your bravery has been a shining light and inspiration in dark and troubling times for the sport we love.

"I submitted a formal complaint to British Gymnastics in December 2019. It was an account of my experiences as a club and elite gymnast, and the experiences I shared were the reason for my retirement in January, not a physical injury as was suggested by some at the time.

"After eight months, I'm no closer to having any feedback or outcome.

"It took a lot of support and counselling to build up the courage to tell my story. I hope someone now listens to us."