Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: IBS symptoms on HRT  (Read 1167 times)

jennyb

IBS symptoms on HRT
« on: July 08, 2020, 05:34:10 PM »

Hi - has anyone suffered with IBS symptoms when they first started HRT - such as slight nausea, increased gas (sometimes painful), more frequent bowel movements, general 'upset stomach' feeling. If so, did these symptoms go away or did you have to stop or change your HRT?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: IBS symptoms on HRT
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2020, 06:56:35 PM »

10 mins. B4 a bleed would start, even if a period wasn't due, I would have to dash to the loo with 'the runs'. 

I was always nauseous B4 periods  :-\ ......... so probably 4 me was hormones.  How long have you been on your regime?

Taz2

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2020, 08:14:28 PM »

Yes I think these symptoms are quite common as your body begins to get used to the additional hormones. It takes at least three months for various side effects to subside and for you to be able to work out whether that specific HRT is right for you. Which type of HRT are you on? There are more digestive upsets with oral HRT rather than patch or gel as the patch and gel types are not metabolised by the liver.

Taz x

jennyb

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2020, 10:31:00 AM »

I am on Kliovance tablets which I started 5 weeks ago. I originally tried Evorel Conti patches but couldn't even tolerate half a patch due to abdo/back pain.

Taz2

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2020, 01:19:29 PM »

I would think that the nausea etc are side effects of the HRT. Does it mention it as a possible side effect on the info leaflet?

Taz x

jennyb

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2020, 03:53:01 PM »

Yes Taz2 - I think they are all side effects - just wondering if they are liable to go or not. They seem to be increasing the longer I take them.

Fusseh

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2020, 06:45:54 PM »

I have noticed a change in my digestion generally, but I put it down to menopause rather than hrt.

I now get frequent indigestion, and occasional changes in bowel movements. Sometimes indigestion is really tiring and the tummy ache has made me wonder whether I have an ulcer! I have wondered whether I have IBS, but low fodmap diet doesn't always help and sometimes high fodmap foods are fine for me!

I also have periods of time with no symptoms so am now thinking it is just another lovely menopause symptom.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2020, 06:58:03 PM »

As oestrogen levels drop there is a common complaint of hiatus hernia = reflux.