Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Achy Arms  (Read 2111 times)

Donna R

• First Flush
Achy Arms
« on: July 06, 2020, 09:31:06 PM »

Hi I am new to all this and would love some advice please. I am 48 years old and about a year and a half ago I started getting very achy arms and pain around my breastbone. After lots of checks and tests I was told earlier this year that I had low oestrogen. I was put on Femoston 1/10 which I have taken for 3 months. There was no improvement at all so I have been changed to Femoston 2/10 which I have only been taking for a few days. I really want to feel better and just wondered if anyone had similar symptoms and if there is anything else I can do. Some days the tiredness and moods are awful too. I just want to feel like my old self again. Thank you for reading.x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Achy Arms
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2020, 06:28:51 AM »

Morning!   When did U last have a full blood count to include thyroid function and VitD levels?

As oestrogen levels drop so muscles may become lax = aches and pains.  Also the body may become dry: inside and out.

Have you tried an over the counter pain relief 4 the pain?

Donna R

• First Flush
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2020, 04:53:34 PM »

Hi thanks for your reply. I had bloods checked a few weeks ago and all was normal. I don't think they checked my oestrogen level again though. Trying to only take painkillers when I also have the headaches. Stupidly I had breast implants 12 years ago so I don't know if the pain is in relation to them or the low oestrogen. Just wondered how long I need to give the hrt to hopefully feel some relief. Thank you.

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2020, 05:32:25 PM »

Oestrogen levels rise and fall so don't often give a true measure in blood tests.

Have the implants altered, i.e. have they hardened?

Some HRT can take 3-4 months B4 a lady feels benefit.

Wrensong

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2020, 07:03:46 PM »

Hi Donna R  :welcomemm:

If the aching is limited to breastbone & arm area (is it upper arms/shoulders?) I wonder whether declining collagen from the low oestrogen means that the weight of your implants could be implicated?  Collagen helps to strengthen tissue, so that as it declines with age you may find you have less natural support for the implants. 

If you've not had them checked recently I would try to see a plastic or breast surgeon, as you will know implants tend not to last a lifetime & may need replacing after a decade or so if they degrade.  If your aching continues after other menopause symptoms have resolved, the surgeon should also be able to advise how best to tackle the problem if the implants are to blame, whether or not they have reached the end of their lifespan.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2020, 08:35:44 PM by Wrensong »

Donna R

• First Flush
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2020, 09:21:57 PM »

Thank you for your advice. The implants look and feel normal. I saw a surgeon a few months ago and she didn't feel that the implants were causing the aches. I remember other women in menopause have had achy arms and rib area so was hoping to have felt a bit better on the hrt by now. It's my whole arms that ache particularly when lifting heavy saucepans. I'm not against having the implants removed but was hoping that this wouldn't be just yet. I wouldn't have new implants put in and I hated being flat chested.Thanks for reading.

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2020, 08:09:41 AM »

B4 you decide about the implants have a look at 'Nicola Jane' web-site.  The Company has designed clothing for breast cancer survivors for many years . 

Give your HRT time to work.  The body doesn't usually get where it is suddenly so it takes a while to uptake the replacement.

Wrensong

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2020, 09:19:11 AM »

Hi Donna R.  Good to know you have had the implants checked & all seems OK.  So I wouldn't worry about those now. 

Do you think the aching arms could be related to muscle loss, if you notice lifting things you formerly managed with ease is now a problem?  I had an exercise routine drawn up by a physio after surgery a couple of years ago that meant I had to rest upper body for a few weeks & lost muscle as a result.  It includes lifting light weights & resistance band workout.  Only takes a few mins a day.  Has made a visible difference over time & my arms tire less easily now.  Testosterone can also help with muscle maintenance.  Don't know whether you have thought about maybe adding that to your HRT regimen.

Donna R

• First Flush
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2020, 09:43:44 PM »

Thank you both so much for your suggestions I will look at all of this.

Lack of testosterone could be a possibility as I've been getting frequent headaches, tiredness and the aches. Is there anything I can try for this or is it best to get this checked by the doctor? I know I probably just need to be more patient with the HRT but having felt awful for such a long time I'm desperate for some relief.😫

Wrensong

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2020, 07:58:21 AM »

Donna, can I ask who's overseeing your HRT?  If a GP, I'm wondering whether a menopause clinic referral (once back up & running) might be your best bet for their in depth knowledge & longer appointment times to get to the bottom of what's going on.

Testosterone levels are usually tested before that's prescribed but a GP may be reluctant/feel unable to prescribe it for anything other than low libido/sexual dysfunction.

Donna R

• First Flush
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2020, 06:49:23 PM »

Thank you so much for replying again. Yes I was given HRT by my doctor with very little discussion because of low oestrogen and the pains. I will give it a few months on the higher dose of HRT and see how I go. I have also bought some Menopace today which I think is ok to take with HRT. I will ask to see a Menopause Clinic then if no improvement. I'm not sure if my Testosterone level has been checked or not. I really do appreciate all of your advice, thankyou.🙂