Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: 1 ... 381 382 [383] 384 385 ... 425

Author Topic: Wild Birds and all things to do with Nature  (Read 1200919 times)

Taz2

Re: Wild Birds and all things to do with Nature
« Reply #5730 on: October 07, 2021, 02:26:25 PM »

They know the cooler weather is coming - nothing like a nice, thick curtain to while away the winter months.  ;D

jaypo

« Reply #5731 on: October 07, 2021, 03:04:59 PM »

It's when you find them in your washing after hanging on the line,I try to make sure there are none there before I fold it,blippin things  ;D

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5732 on: October 07, 2021, 03:17:26 PM »

;D ......... I can see them flying from the curly hazelnut tree towards the windows which are now shut!  They have left yellow wee on the windowsills  >:(

C.C.

« Reply #5733 on: October 07, 2021, 05:58:14 PM »

Skunk update---still there under the porch cuz we can still smell him. We might have to resort to bribery to lure him out.

CLKD

« Reply #5734 on: October 07, 2021, 08:09:33 PM »

Is there another way in/out  :-\ 'cos he'll be mighty thin by now.  Bacon and eggs?  Cooked in front of the hole ........... or a bit of rotten fish ;-)

C.C.

« Reply #5735 on: October 07, 2021, 11:31:22 PM »

There isn't another entrance/exit, the wildlife guys checked. I just put out some tuna at the one-way door and up the sides of the trench.  I did see a skunk cross the road just as I came out the door but the one-way door wasn't tripped so he must be another one.  He might come back and help himself to the tuna and leave none for the bugger we're trying to lure out.

CLKD

« Reply #5736 on: October 08, 2021, 08:52:03 AM »

So what's it surviving on ?  Is it an earth floor ? beetles etc..  I think a camera like they use down the gullet might be the way to go next  :-\

About 30 goldfinches flew away earlier when I opened a window.  No ladybirds today.  Yet.

C.C.

« Reply #5737 on: October 08, 2021, 03:01:58 PM »

No tuna this morning so he might have been lured out.  We'll have to wait and see.  Can still smell him though. :P

CLKD

« Reply #5738 on: October 08, 2021, 03:25:01 PM »

Any footprints from the trap door into the open?  Pity you didn't put flour or custard powder down to follow his prints  ;D

Ju Ju

« Reply #5739 on: October 08, 2021, 03:37:39 PM »

Sad to report our bats seem to have departed, leaving a sprinkling of visiting cards of course! Have heard since that another house has been having problems with bats making a home where it wasn’t great idea. After research we were ok with the bats in the attic over the garage. Although attached to the house, the attic is almost completely separated from the attic above the house. Small gap between, big enough for bats though.

We seem to have a young wood pigeon who sits on the bird tray spying on DH in his office, unfazed by us at the window. A near neighbour had a nest in a climbing plant attached to house. The pigeons must have got used to her comings and going. So we wonder whether this pigeon is one of those. Unusual for pigeons round here. Usually fly off as soon as you go near. Got rather fond of it!

CLKD

« Reply #5740 on: October 08, 2021, 03:54:28 PM »

Since I've been putting sun flower hearts out there are 2 pigeons and 2 doves which are pale mink coloured.  The pigeons do at least clean up underneath the feeders :-)  8)

Bats often don't stay long in 1 place as a safety issue to keep the babies safe as well as food availability.  They do hang up to hibernate together to keep warm.  They can get through the space of an Hb pencil.  As can mice.

jaypo

« Reply #5741 on: October 08, 2021, 05:31:26 PM »

There was a pigeon in our garden yesterday,it let me pick it up,it had a bald bloody head  :'( but it was flapping it's wings when I popped it over the fence,it scurried into the branches that are on the ground,why would it have a big scrape across it's head?

Taz2

« Reply #5742 on: October 08, 2021, 05:39:06 PM »

Could have been in a collision with a car or window, or escaped from a cat or sparrowhawk attack. These are the type of injured birds I collect for wildlife rescue. Without antibiotics he/she is unlikely to survive sadly.  :'(

CLKD

« Reply #5743 on: October 08, 2021, 06:33:43 PM »

Nature in the raw. 

jaypo

« Reply #5744 on: October 09, 2021, 08:35:31 AM »

Oh nooooooo Taz, I feel bad now,wish I'd popped it in a box and phoned RSPB I thought because it was flapping it's wings it was ok  :'(
Pages: 1 ... 381 382 [383] 384 385 ... 425