Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: starting Ovestin  (Read 1171 times)

Jeepers

starting Ovestin
« on: June 12, 2020, 11:16:44 AM »

Hi all

I am on HRT and use Vagifem, and have now been prescribed Ovestin for the external "bits".  I should have asked, but didn't, do you have to do a two week loading as with Vagifem?  Or just use twice weekly? Can you use it all over?  I mean near the  urethal opening?

I'm a bit nervous about using it tbh. 

Thanks

Jeepers xx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: starting Ovestin
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2020, 11:40:09 AM »

Yep.  It can be used when required.  So a small amount tonight and see how the area feels.  Do read the vaginal atrophy threads ;-)

Tc

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2020, 11:44:09 AM »

Jeeps I use it internally and externally.  I apply a small amount (about my little fingernail size) to the whole area inside the labia majora.  From around and just under vaginal opening right to the top. Spread thinly.  I dont know if this is what others do.

Loading dose wise I would say it depends how dry you are or if you are using it as a "preventative measure". 

If you are very dry then as it is very low dose  I cant see how doing a 2 week every night initial treatment would be a problem. As with internally, once the tissues are well enough "eastregonised"  you will then absorb it better and have an idea then if twice a week is enough for you.

Maybe do a week and see how you get on?

Xx

Lyncola

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2020, 08:48:39 AM »

Hi Jeepers,

I'm using Ovestin externally every second night at the moment (since the start of this year). I'm going through my 3rd loading of Vagifem since the beginning of this year  :'(

My doctor told me to use the size off a pea for the Ovestin. I hope that helps
Lyncola

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2020, 08:49:59 AM »

How often do you need 'vagifem' Lyncola?

Lyncola

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2020, 09:40:39 AM »

At the moment I'm doing a two week loading, I'm at day 10 and seen improvement, my doctor wants me to then go to twice a week. Before that I was using every second day. I'm on menopausal vitamin called Remifemin that takes 4 to 5 weeks to work (I'm on week 4) if virginal atrophy still a problem my doctor will then try me on HRT.

I might be one of these people that need to use Vagifem all the time. Been using Vagifem for about 8 months now, before that Ovestin for about 8 months. Had virginal atrophy for about over 18 months now. I started about 4 months after having a hysterectomy, I still got my ovaries.

Sammiejane

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2020, 09:57:24 AM »

hi

i use ovestin twice a week on systemic hrt to and put internally and also around outside and i put bit on my finger and rub in just inside vagina at top on urethra meatus it is helping

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2020, 04:34:28 PM »

Your GP wants a  :kick:  it really isn't up to a GP to decide how much 'vagifem' or 'ovestin' a lady requires.  Some need nightly 'vagifem' as it's such a low dose, some occasionally require two tablets at once!  It is such a low dose it isn't going to cause an 'overdose' of oestrogen as some GPs still believe  >:(

Why did you change from Ovestin?  I don't find it messy at all  ::)

Lyncola

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2020, 09:09:22 AM »

I change from Ovestin to Vagifem because I was getting worse. So my doctor said give Vagifem a go.