Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Exhaustion and Aching  (Read 894 times)

Stargazer

Exhaustion and Aching
« on: June 08, 2020, 07:56:25 PM »

I am 53 year old and was given some Prostap to put me into a menopausal state with the idea that it could lead to a permanent menopause!  Now 8 months on I have not had another period.  I have experienced some mood swings and now the most awful aching in the muscles/joints all over and fatigue.  I spoke to a GP who hearing my reluctance to take HRT suggested Paracetamol.

Could this aching in the muscles/joints and fatigue at this level be because I am going through the lowest Oestrogen levels before my body gets used to the lack of this hormone?  I went shopping today, drove up the road and felt so tired I didn't know if I could continue.  The GP did not suggest checking my thyroid or blood tests but said it should like menopausal arthralgia. I have no health problems with this.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Exhaustion and Aching
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2020, 08:50:40 AM »

Hi.  As oestrogen levels drop the body may become dry: inside and out.  Muscles may become lax = aches and pains.

I remember my Mum suddenly sitting down and falling asleep.  Crashing fatigue is awful.

Any particular reason why you had Prostap?  What's your reluctant to HRT, Quality of Life is important.  It replaces hormones that are lacking which can give awful symptoms. 

The first thing I would do is to get a full blood count to check iron levels and thyroid function. 

Taz2

Re: Exhaustion and Aching
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2020, 09:38:06 AM »

Hi Stargazer - how many injections have you had of Prostap and why did your gynaecologist want you to have them - if you don't mind me asking?

When I was off HRT my joints and muscles ached really badly but I see you don't want to go down this route? The Prostap effectively shut your ovaries down which meant you no longer produced oestrogen. Oestrogen is important in so many ways. Didn't you get any advice from the gynaecologist as to what they proposed to do after you entered post menopause if you were not keen to use HRT? The effect of Prostap is to put you into immediate menopause - much the same as women who go through a surgical menopause - and this is very hard on the body as there is not a gradual decline in oestrogen.

Taz x