Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: HRT increases breast cancer risk by about 75% ??  (Read 1466 times)

Zar

HRT increases breast cancer risk by about 75% ??
« on: June 07, 2020, 04:34:46 PM »

Hello all

I've been on combination HRT for 4 months now (Evorel Sequi) and love it - it has changed my life dramatically!!! But I have come across this article on breast cancer.org which says there is 75% increased chance of breast cancer with combination HRT. I'm sure I must be interpreting it wrong as I've never seen that figure mentioned anywhere before, as I did a lot of research beforehand. I thought most of the problems came from the research from 2002, but this is breast cancer.org which surely must be based on recent research. Am I reading it wrong?? Looking for someone to put my mind at ease and sorry if I've mis-interpreted it and giving people a fright! :

Here is the link to the article:

https://www.breastcancer.org/risk/factors/hrt

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: HRT increases breast cancer risk by about 75% ??
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2020, 04:58:16 PM »

Firstly why are you looking for problems?  Quality of Life is important.

I haven't read the Link, are you able to tell me who funded the research, is it peer reviewed and when it is dated?  Tnx.

Joaniepat

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2020, 05:02:49 PM »

I had a look at this article and no references are cited for where they get this 75% figure. It seems to have been plucked from thin air.

JP x

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2020, 05:08:05 PM »

? American ? due to the use of 'flashes' ........

Breastcancer.org 120 East Lancaster Avenue, Suite 201 Ardmore, PA 19003
? 2020 Breastcancer.org - All rights reserved.

Everything that they write is all negative ........ I wonder if they are selling products?
« Last Edit: June 07, 2020, 05:09:52 PM by CLKD »

Zar

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2020, 05:26:04 PM »

Mmmm .... interesting that it's American, I hadn't noticed that. I was chatting to my sons about it and they are suggesting that it could mean if eg 9 women out of 1000 get breast cancer for various different reasons then the increased risk of it from HRT is 75% of 9. (I just plucked the 9 from thin air, not sure what the figure is). That would make sense to me as my own doctor said that only around 3 cases of breast cancer are attributed to HRT.

🤷🏻‍♀️

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2020, 05:29:05 PM »

Wonder where your Doctor got that from?  I had breast disease in the 1990s, felt on palpation and discovered at histology.  The lump was clinically benign.  Had I been floored by menopause symptoms, I wouldn't have thought twice about using HRT.  Some times it's for Life, other times to see ladies through difficult symptoms.

What's your worry that you are searching for information? 

sheila99

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2020, 05:58:28 PM »

I don't think you can believe that one unless they're prepared to publish research. Most of the data is based on rates for oral hrt but we know transdermal is safer. The increased risk is supposed to be less than if you drink, smoke or are overweight.

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2020, 06:03:23 PM »

:thankyou:

Zar

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2020, 06:46:46 PM »

Thank you everyone - my mind is at ease. I think it was a knee-jerk reaction. I didn't check to see if it was a UK site, and as you say, there are no sources mentioned. I've read the NHS website and it's much more reassuring!

I guess I'm feeling that it's too good to be true - the positive impact that it's had on my life - and so I'm constantly expecting something to burst my bubble!

Thanks again!

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2020, 07:01:35 PM »

You may find that you have ups and downs ...... as your hormones rise and fall. 

Enjoy the good days.  Don't do too much and wear yourself out!  ....... and breath ;-)

Hurdity

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2020, 08:47:54 AM »

Hi Zar

Like you have yourself found out these figures appeare very alarming due to the way they are presented even without looking to see whether studies are flawed.

For the benefit of anyone else reading, it is important to look at numbers  as well as you have done and to distinguish between absolute risk and realtive risk. If the absolute risk appears high but the numbers are low then it's not a problem. Go example say the incidence of breast cancer was 1 in a million (it's more than that but just to illustrate) and with HRT it was 2 in a million then that's an increased risk of 100% which sounds scary but 1 or 2 in a million is negligible.

In addition the risk factors of drinking too much alcohol and being overweight are bigger risk factors so if you take HRT and maintain normal BMI, stay healthy etc etc you are minimising your other risks.

There is a brief article here on this website:
https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/risks.php

There is also a factsheet here (haven't read it!):
https://www.womens-health-concern.org/help-and-advice/factsheets/breast-cancer-risk-factors/

and here:
https://www.womens-health-concern.org/help-and-advice/factsheets/hrt-know-benefits-risks/

Hurdity x

Zar

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2020, 05:55:10 PM »

Thank you all for your reassuring comments and for all the good information that has been passed my way! Really very much appreciated! x

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2020, 08:16:10 PM »

Here it is ........