Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Another HRT Free Update.  (Read 1288 times)

Kathleen

Another HRT Free Update.
« on: April 26, 2020, 06:11:00 PM »

Hello ladies

I thought I would post another update as I have now been off HRT for ten months. My experiences so far may be of interest to other ladies who are considering stopping HRT and I apologise if I am repeating myself.

The biggest difference is that my VA is much better despite no HRT and only using Yes vaginal moisturiser twice daily.  I realise that this could change and that I still have VA but I am now wearing tight jeans without any difficulty. I am also wearing pyjamas at night and even though they ride up, they are not making me sore in any way. My VA problems only really started two weeks after finishing  Oestrogel when I developed the burning and itching that so many ladies suffer.

I continue to wake once a night to use the bathroom but usually get back to sleep. I also have some nights where I sleep through but some where I struggle to get to sleep. I have not had any night sweats for ages but sleeping and night time heat were never my biggest problem.

I have so far escaped UTIs and muscle aches.  I am doing more exercise during the Lockdown and noticing some muscle stiffness and wonder if that would be less of a problem if I were still on HRT.

Just last week I noticed some daytime flushes creeping back in.  At present they are mild but obviously I hope they don't become  more intense.

Unfortunately I still have episodes of irritability and tearfulness, which I hate.  They can occur quite randomly and I haven't yet found a way to manage them. There are also times when the horrible feelings just stop suddenly  and I feel normal and well, calm even. This can continue for hours and believe me I treasure those times! I am not sure if this  qualifies as a mood swing or if for some reason my body manages to balance my hormones for a brief while.

Also troubling are my jittery sensations which are located in my stomach/abdomen area. They come and go through most of the day but often disappear completely by the evening.  I had these symptoms before and during HRT and they are milder than they were but I still need to find a way of coping with them. Thankfully the palpitations and headaches are a thing of the past.

I am 63 and ten years post meno so going back on HRT may not be an option if things get worse. Recently a GP assured me that it does get better eventually, even without HRT but time will tell.

As I've said before, I am no worse without HRT but ideally I would like to feel normal most, if not all of the time lol. Whether this is possible without any HRT at all is debatable of course.

Hope this is helpful to some of you ladies and I wish you all well.

K.

Hurdity

Re: Another HRT Free Update.
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2020, 08:02:16 AM »

Thanks for the update Kathleen. The most important thing is hopefully gradually to feel better, and definitely not worse so do hope any remaining symptoms gradually ease for you! Of course the thyroid issue is probably having an effect too and I imagine it might be difficult sorting out which symptoms are to do with menopause and which thyroid, as your diagnosis of the latter was relatively recent?

Anyway all the best and here's to normality!!! (Difficult for any of us at the mo'!!!)

Hurdity x

Kathleen

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2020, 03:01:45 PM »

Hello Stellajane and Hurdity.

Thank you so much ladies for taking the time to comment.

The temperature control problem may well be Thyroid related or just the way things are post meno. I often have cold hands for no good reason as well as sometimes feeling too hot.  The flushes I had recently were definitely flushes but very mild ones.

I am due a routine Hashimoto's blood test next month followed by a chat with my GP,  probably by phone.  If Thyroid issues are adding to the hormonal mix I can hopefully resolve those at least.

Thanks again ladies and wishing you both well.

K.

Taz2

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2020, 03:18:21 PM »

This all sounds really hopeful for you Kathleen. Thank you for posting. It's so important that we hear positive stories.  :)

Taz x

Kathleen

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2020, 02:48:07 PM »

Hello Taz2

Thanks for your comments. As I say I don't feel worse without HRT so that is positive I suppose lol.  I even have  times when I feel good, though I suspect these occasions are just mood swings!

Take care.

K.

warwick01

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2020, 03:30:29 PM »

Hi Kathleen

Good to hear your coping well without HRT. Things can only get better ;)

I too am trying to reduce my Oestrogel to one pump per day. I am 61 and hate having a withdrawal bleed at my age so trying to eventually stop, although I can go 4 days on one pump and symptoms kick in so go back to 2 pumps for a couple of days.

The only symptom I find hard to deal with is a sudden adrenalin rush in the pit of my stomach and feel like I will lose controle :( :( then my face gets flushed...?

Take care Wx

Taz2

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2020, 07:39:03 AM »

The only symptom I find hard to deal with is a sudden adrenalin rush in the pit of my stomach and feel like I will lose controle :( :( then my face gets flushed...?

Take care Wx

That's how I felt in the early days of flushes. A feeling of doom/panic in my stomach followed by a hot face. Gradually this turned into proper flushes. If it's just the withdrawal bleed you can't tolerate have you tried continuous HRT which, after an initial settling in time, can mean no more bleeds?

Taz x

Kathleen

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2020, 10:05:37 AM »

Hello again ladies.

I am certainly coping without HRT but of course I wish the remaining symptoms would take a hike lol.

warwick -  my adrenaline surges would affect my bowels and make me run to the loo. Is this what you mean by losing control? If so you have my sympathy.

Thanks for the comments ladies and take care.

K.