Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10

Author Topic: Coronavirus and holidays  (Read 10655 times)

Sparrow

Re: Coronavirus and holidays
« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2020, 11:40:45 AM »

What does "they were too slow at the get go" mean?

It means what it says.  If you have read the reports of the beginning of the out break in Italy they had very little of the public advice we have had and the virus was already spreading before they had even started testing. 

Another mess with the extended lock down. The press published the details before it was unforced, so people started to travel south to escape while they are able.  One Italian expert has described it as a disaster and the best way to spread the virus beyond the main infected area.  Oh, and they were still allowing flights out of the infected area.

Personally I would rather be here than there. 

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2020, 12:40:48 PM »

Probably.  I still stand by the idea of throwing everyone who might be infected into the same room for 28 days.  It worked when we were kids: no media and common sense.  Chickenpox; mumps; measles; not whooping pox though - it was over 30 years B4 I was told that my blood test showed that I had been infected with German measles.  That must have been the year I had a rash which meandered for a while and we put it down to too many strawberries and cream  ;D

No one else was affected and I mixed with lots of kids as it was June/July.

Humans are selfish.  That's why babies cry, sometimes even B4 being born - otherwise they would starve ;-)

Hurdity

« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2020, 03:01:39 PM »

I am due to go on hols to another European country (not Italy!)  in about 3 weeks and I am really hoping the Government does not put travel restrictions in place before then! eg pensioners on lockdown! OK OK I know it's selfish but booked the hol in October and we intend to go if possible!

Hurdity x

Dorothy

« Reply #33 on: March 09, 2020, 05:52:46 PM »

People managed in War Time. They married with very little and often fast.
We're not having a big wedding, but my understanding of the situation in Italy is that you can't get married at all!  No point bringing the wedding forward, as we'd still have to wait a month after giving notice, and in that month, weddings might get banned! 
Dorothy - I wish I could be more optimistic but I seriously can't see this virus "dying down" by June.

I'd be making some back up plans if I were you.
Well, we either get married or we don't - can't see any way of making 'backup plans' for this one.  Just hope for the best!
Don't the majority of people recover from covid?All your told to do is self isolate,don't get me wrong, I don't want a horrific dose of the flu but isn't it similar and like flu,it's the same people (sadly) who perish from it?
It has a higher fatality rate than flu, but nowhere near as lethal as SARS and I don't remember there being this much panic about SARS - and I have no idea why everyone is stockpiling loo rolls!!!
Don't worry Dorothy, unless you are inviting hundreds to your wedding I can't see there being a problem.  The government may impose restrictions on gatherings over a thousand but that is only a possibility.
No, we'll be a max of 30 including me & the groom, so unless we get as bad as Italy, we'll hopefully be ok - the most likely scenario is that my two best friends from overseas won't be able to come.

Thank you to everyone for the congratulations by the way!  We're slightly geriatric for wedding first-timers, but better late than never!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #34 on: March 09, 2020, 07:05:01 PM »

Oh enjoy!  ? Photos ?  ;D don't forget to wear those shoes in good time ;-)

jaypo

« Reply #35 on: March 09, 2020, 07:20:00 PM »

We have lovely neighbours up in Scotland who are in their 70s who have just got married,it's just soooooo romantic so good on you Dorothy :)

Dorothy

« Reply #36 on: March 09, 2020, 08:24:52 PM »

@CLKD I've gone for totally flat sandals so I'll be fine - can't do heels of any kind these days.  Even half an inch does my back in!

@jaypo, awww, that's lovely.  Neither of us ever thought we'd meet anyone - we still keep looking at each other with 'how did this happen' expressions!

It's usually difficult for me to get time off for holidays in the summer, but getting married has given me a cast iron excuse!

jaypo

« Reply #37 on: March 09, 2020, 09:33:37 PM »

Aawwww I LOVE IT,that's so so lovely,that couple beside us say that too,they go for walks hand in hand and just have such a laugh together,love is love at any age, I wish you both all the best 💖

Barnacle

« Reply #38 on: March 09, 2020, 09:46:25 PM »

Big congratulations Dorothy!

Two hoots

« Reply #39 on: March 09, 2020, 09:50:09 PM »

With all the doom and gloom, a wedding is lovely, many congratulations to you and your intended

:love:

Dorothy

« Reply #40 on: March 09, 2020, 10:32:20 PM »

:thankyou: to everyone for your lovely comments & congratulations!

Tc

« Reply #41 on: March 10, 2020, 12:49:20 AM »

Congratulations dorothy 💕

jaycee

« Reply #42 on: March 10, 2020, 11:09:36 AM »

Congratulations Dorothy, how did you meet? still waiting for my knight in shining armour ::)

Katejo

« Reply #43 on: March 10, 2020, 01:43:56 PM »

Congratulations Dorothy, how did you meet? still waiting for my knight in shining armour ::)
Congratulations from me too Dorothy! I'd like to ask the same question.  ;D

jillydoll

• Hiya
« Reply #44 on: March 10, 2020, 02:23:44 PM »

And from me too Dorothy. Come on spill the beans... :congrats:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10