Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Progesterone  (Read 786 times)

Paz23

Progesterone
« on: March 01, 2020, 10:30:53 AM »

So I've been doing some research before my next gp visit to try and be armed with all the info.
I've just read that progesterone is the hormone that helps us to sleep and so probably why those of us with wappy hormones have times when we can't sleep.
At the moment I have a merina fitted that secretes progesterone but (as I understand it) it stays around your reproductive system and doesn't actually enter your blood stream. So I'm thinking it's not actually going to make any difference to how well or not I sleep?
I'm just asking because I was thinking of leaving the merina where it is and asking for some separate oestrogen HRT. But I'm not sure that's going help my sleeping issues.

Mary G

Re: Progesterone
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2020, 02:23:06 PM »

Paz23, I have had two Mirena coils myself and I can tell you that although most of the progesterone is confined to the womb, some of it does get into your overall system and this may or may not cause side effects for some women.

With regards to progesterone and sleep, progesterone very definitely does help sleep and it's the lack of progesterone that often causes insomnia in menopausal women and also anxiety.  The major point to pick up on here is that synthetic progesterone (the type you have in the Mirena coil) and body identical progesterone (the type you produce yourself) are very different and behave in very different ways.  Synthetic progesterone is purely functional and only for birth control and womb protection in HRT, it does not have any therapeutic effect, whereas body identical progesterone has a calming effect and helps sleep.

I hope that helps.

Paz23

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2020, 07:14:17 PM »

Thanks for your reply, much appreciated. So in order to combat the insomnia I need an HRT with progesterone in it as well as oestrogen.
I'm assuming that means getting rid of the merina? Not sure what I'd do for contraception then.
it's a bloody minefield.

Mary G

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2020, 07:31:15 PM »

Not necessarily.  If you get on well with the Mirena coil and don't have any adverse side effects then keep it.  You could try melatonin for insomnia instead. 

I was being generic about progesterone and pointing out that a Mirena coil will not help you sleep because it contains synthetic progesterone but obviously there are other remedies for sleep issues.

Progesterone levels drop off in the early part of the menopause and that is why women suddenly develop insomnia and anxiety (panic attacks) and I developed silent migraines.   

You are right though, it's very difficult to get the right balance.

sheila99

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2020, 09:18:05 PM »

I would try some oestrogen. My main peri symptoms were insomnia and anxiety which were cured by hrt. I have always been on a sequi regime and as I have a long natural cycle I take progesterone (utrogeston) for 12 days in 6 weeks. I don't believe it was the progesterone that did it as there'll be so little, if any, left in my system after a month. I think my insomnia was caused by low oestrogen.

Paz23

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2020, 10:33:38 PM »

I guess everyone has differences and from reading loads in this forum it seems there's a lot of trial and error involved.
I need to see if my gp will even agree to let me have anything first.
Thanks everyone.