Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Hyperplasia treatment  (Read 1083 times)

soniad

Hyperplasia treatment
« on: February 29, 2020, 07:44:21 PM »

Hi everyone,

Just wondering if anyone on here has ever been treated for hyperplasia, and if so:

what progestogen did you use?

How long was it before you started to see improvement?

Any advice is greatly appreciated

thanks!

Hurdity

Re: Hyperplasia treatment
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2020, 02:44:19 PM »

Hi soniad - could you tell us a bit more about your hyperplasia? What HRT regime you are on - presumably you are post-menopause or maybe peri but you've had a hysteroscopy or biopsy which shows hyperplasia? How old you are etc?

I have read papers discussing treatment of simple hyperplasia with a course of norethisterone over several weeks but this was some time ago so not sure what the current treatment is? What advice have you been given?

Tell us a bit more and hopefully we can help.

Hurdity x

AlphabettiSpaghetti

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2020, 10:53:03 PM »

Just had my second biopsy in nine months for hyperplasia. I've been on 200mg a day utrogestan and it hasn't reduced the hyperplasia. I had a Mirena fitted during last week's biopsy and I'm hoping that will sort the hyperplasia otherwise I?ll have to have a hysterectomy.
How thick is your hyperplasia and how long has it been going on?

soniad

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2020, 08:48:37 PM »

Hi Hurdity and AlphabettiSpaghetti

Sorry for the late reply.

I don't know if I have hyperplasia yet.

I started HRT at age 49 (I am now  52 and will turn 53 in July) and at the time, I was still having periods.

When I started I was using progesterone vaginally and that gave me a regular bleed each month. But my doctor convinced me to switch to oral progesterone to help with sleep.

So, From September 2018 to Until June 2019 I was taking 200 mg progesterone orally, for 14 days of the month. But bleeds were erratic. Some months I didn't get a bleed and then the bleed would come half way through the next progesterone course....or just before...it was all over the place.

It became impossible to chase, and I ever knew if or when I was going to get a bleed. To be fair I was on quite a high dose (equiv. 100mcg patch), but then I reduced to about 75-80mcg patch. I was experimenting with higher doses because sleep was suddenly getting worse. But then my doctor convinced me to try melatonin, which I started in January 2019, and that has helped enormously so I've only recently discovered I can now get along with much less estrogen.

The erratic bleeds could also have been be due to me getting closer to menopause as well (initially I was probably ovulating every month and then later on, possibly no so much).

Also, on oral progesterone, bleeds took longer to finish. When I used to take progesterone vaginally, bleed would be heavy for the first 3 days, lighter for 2 days and then stop by day 5. On oral progesterone, they're super light but last longer- -sometimes 14 days. It feels like the same amount of lining is shed, but over a longer period of time if that makes sense?

In June last year I decided to just take the progesterone every day, as I was turning 52 and I tolerate progesterone well, anyway all was fine until January this year, when I got some breakthrough bleeding. It's isn't heavy, just continual spotting. Like before, it feels like the lining was being shed but over a long period of time.

Spotting stopped for 2 weeks and then started up on 21st February. Spotting is super super light - a tiny spot 2 X a day. brownish blood.

I'm still taking the progesterone continuously, but have switched to vaginal, as I don't really trust oral progesterone any more, and I've reduced my estrogen to 50 mcg.

My doctor says I am still in peri (due to fsh levels) but really I have no idea.

I'm going to see my Doctor in April, I will have a scan and see what's going on. I want to switch back to vaginal progesterone and I think I'll go back to sequi.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2020, 11:23:11 PM by soniad »