Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: bit of advice please  (Read 993 times)

Moonshine54

bit of advice please
« on: February 28, 2020, 02:24:20 PM »

Hi everyone,

I have been taking 75 estraderm patches with  200 Utrogestrin tablets  . they are working fine. However , I am still struggling with  severe PMS symptoms  from about 2 weeks before my period. My GP has offered to refer me to a menopause clinic. Can any one advise I live near Manchester. I think he's at a loss of what to do with  me. I have had this problem most of my life but the PMS appears to have got worse lately. Its affecting my job and relationship.
Thank in advance  .
 Moon ::) ::). ps I am 55

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: bit of advice please
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2020, 02:42:15 PM »

Hi! PMS is difficult.  I was advised by NAPS to eat every 3 hours to stop that awful low blood sugar feeling when the body gets hungry. Suddenly. 

That is every 3 hours even through the night ;-).

Even though I knew what causes the symptoms it made me feel really ill.  How R U Otherwise?

A menopause clinic might be worth while. 

Dotty

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2020, 05:20:54 PM »

Hi have you tried taking the Utrogestan continuously ? 100 mg every day x

Moonshine54

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2020, 08:45:13 PM »

Hi Both and thank you for replying!
I have had PMS most of my life. It got a bit better but the last couple of years has returned with avengeance.
I  do try to eat properly and I exercise.
I am generally well. But this  is becoming a real problem for me.
Would taking utrogestan daily help Dotty ?
It's such a minefield at times .
Moon xx

Nik2502

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2020, 08:48:07 PM »

Hi
Are you using the utrogestan vaginally?
X

Dotty

« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2020, 06:55:16 AM »

Hi it can work as you will not be getting highs and lows of progesterone . As you are 55 then you are probably post menopausal now anyway xx

sheila99

« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2020, 10:34:46 AM »

I've been to the meno clinic at Stepping Hill. Not sure if I'd choose it if it wasn't my local one. In 3 visits I've seen two idiots (hadn't heard of utrogeston) and one who was very good. I asked the same question a couple of years ago and there were some suggestions but I can't remember what they were now and I can't find a way to show my threads. Don't assume you're post meno because of your age, I was still regular at 57 when I started hrt.

Hurdity

« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2020, 12:30:59 PM »

Hi Moonshine - you will have some idea of how near you are to menopause depending on what your cycles were doing prior to starting HRT, and how long you have been on this regime. If you are nearing menopause or post then you might benefit from a longer cycle - ie instead of taking Utrogestan for 12 out of every 28 days then, you can stretch it a bit - firstly to every calendar month and then maybe a bit longer - which will limit the time you are on progesterone. Also this mught depend too on what sort of bleeds you get currently. If very heavy then stretching the cycle won't work or rather might give you heavier bleeds. However taking vaginally should make the prog more effective...

Alternatively as the others have suggested you could take it vaginally to minimise the side effects while taking it, or take a daily dose of 100 mg as Dotty says - if you are not yet post-menopause or very near then this won't work as you'll get your own cycle coming through and random bleeds.

Hurdity x

Moonshine54

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2020, 08:11:18 PM »

Hi all
Sorry for my late response (internet issues.) I still have regular periods they are not troublesome or heavy. I don't think I am post menopause as I think it's my own cycle kicking in. I wish it would stop as it's exhausting . The GP said it could be about 60. 
The menopause symptoms I had are managed with the HRT . It's my own hormones kicking in premenstrally.  I have always had a problem with this. I have hope that this will eventually stop. I take the utrogestan orally  too.
Thank you all for your advice ...It's such a minefield if you are not a straight forward case .
Moon xxx