Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: utrogestan  (Read 1706 times)

Sammiejane

utrogestan
« on: February 20, 2020, 11:15:36 AM »

hi ladies

a bit of advice please , i've been on 100mg every night for 13 nights day 14 today thought i was doing ok as just had a few flushes on utrogestan was previously controlled on 2 pumps gel only but adding in prog a few more flushes .a couple of aniexty waves nothing bad but last night all of a sudden after feeling perfectly fine all day got this sudden thumping headache my throat all sore my body aches like i've got flu this isn't normal surely i've been fine on it even all day yesterday the about 30 mins before going bed felt like i got flu feel awful today spend all night sweating this isn't a cold this i believe is utro has any one else had it x

Ladybt28

Re: utrogestan
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2020, 01:05:37 PM »

Hi Sammiejane,
Lots of people have reactions to utrogestan (or progesterone generally).  Headaches and low mood are the most common but there are plenty of other side effects...., but if I remember rightly you have no womb, you have had a hysterectomy?  In surgical menopause you would be given oestrogen which you have in the gel why would you be taking utrogestan?  There is no need for it as you have no womb lining that could thicken?

Sammiejane

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2020, 03:03:18 PM »

hi ladybt28

im not taking it for that, i?m taking it to balance estrogen and as a mood stabilizer as in estrogen alone i was erratic with bad mood swings and aniexty weight gain hair loss etc so i?m hoping adding progesterone will balance things.

but the gel isn't controlling flushes at 2 pumps with the added progesterone and yes i have had a few side effects from progesterone dryness down below mainly and irritated bladder but bloating bette mood better sleep was great first week but second week can't sleep as well  x
many women have progesterone after hysterectomy purely for mood and sleep but also if they have had endometriosis because estrogen can cause it to come back

i?ll see how i go been 2 weeks today and hair shedding hasn't started again but we shall see if it doesn't work and i don't improve then i?ll continue on estrogen only just not the gel i?ll go on patch or tablet

Ladybt28

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2020, 03:44:08 PM »

Those in surgical menopause often need higher doses of oestrogen to control the symptoms Sammiejane, so maybe 2 pumps isn't enough?  If you are only a couple of weeks into the progesterone, that is very early on and progesterone takes a while to settle even if you are not in surgical menopause.  From what I have read here on the forum those who are in surgical meno seem to find it harder and longer to get the balance.  Tc, was at it 6/7 months or more and I can't remember who else is in surgical meno.
Put it in the search bar and see if you can find those ladies...it might help you get some timescales for how this stuff works against those who are just in "normal" meno...although god knows what  "normal meno" actually is  ;D 

GerryL

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2020, 04:04:44 PM »

My daughter in law has had the same op. as you Sammiejane and doesn't take progesterone as it's not needed. It took a while to find the right dose patch for her and she had to persevere but is doing very well now. She is 38. I know you post about hair loss too and no, she hasn't experienced any on her HRT or since surgery which has been 2 years now.

Sammiejane

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2020, 04:15:37 PM »

hi gerry L

that is very interesting thank you x

did your daughter in law suffer mood swings aniexty , although i've only suffered these since taking hrt prior to this i was fine so i?m wondering if it's the hrt which doesn't suit .

i was on the gel for a year before i stopped for 9 weeks as my hair was shedding and become thin so i took a 9 week break and the shedding stopped so i know it's not low estrogen for me so i?m ruling out imbalance but i agree i shouldn't need progesterone to balance things i should feel great on estrogen alone which makes me wonder if the gel is just not suiting me .

do i know which dose and patch your daughter in law takes. x

Sammiejane

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2020, 04:19:27 PM »

hi gerry

sorry i mean do u know not do i know x

thanks

Sammiejane

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2020, 04:25:52 PM »

hi gerry

did your daughter in law keep her ovaries. x

thank you

GerryL

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2020, 05:10:50 PM »

Hello Sammiejane. No she didn't. As I say it took her a while slowly moving up through patch doses but she got there. You will too I'm sure. Maybe try that approach with patches too? I know she had a bit of bother getting hers for a while but she managed to get an alternative and as it was the same dose it worked just the same. Things were OK last time she got her prescription  though. Good luck. :)

GerryL

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2020, 05:23:39 PM »

Sammie I just checked with DIL and she is on a 100 patch. That might give you a bit of an idea as you're a similar age. Hope that helps a bit.👍

Sorry had to change my post to just say that she did have her ovaries taken too in case I wasn't clear.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2020, 05:28:20 PM by GerryL »

Sammiejane

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2020, 05:50:51 PM »

hi gerryl

hi sorry to be a pain but would u mind asking her what her patch is called and has she also suffered weight gain as this is something else i struggled with is weight gain on the gel. x

Tc

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2020, 06:21:24 PM »

Hiya,sammie.  As ladybt says I used utrogestan after my surgery.until recently.

On continous the headaches settled after 2 or 3 weeks.  Unfortunately it made me feel tired ,  depressed and   ill  on conti regime and a cycle.  And the cycle gave me migraine.  But I may not be a good example as the jury is kind of still out over whether I'm progesterone intolerant.. it's also possible I wasnt balanced enough. So became progesterone heavy

it may take a while to figure out how to tweak to get best balance for you.  It's only been 2 weeks so if you are experiencing low E symptoms. I would  probably give it another couple of weeks. Before starting to increase.  E.   

I know that some women without uterus feel better balanced by taking progesterone. So I dont think it's unusual but  you only want enough for balance and bearing  in mind
Oral progesterone itaken for uterine protection s higher dose than our natural progesterone would be.  I would imagine its possible for you to take lower doses of it than someone with a uterus.   I'm by no means an expert though, as you know I'm very much a work in progress myself!

X

GerryL

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2020, 07:25:59 PM »

No problem Sammiejane. I just texted her. She has stayed about the same weight but said she put on a couple of pounds at Christmas. Easy to do at that time of year!

She had to switch over to progynova patches for a bit but has now got her estradot back which she is very happy about. But she said the progynova were ok for symptoms and didn't notice a difference that way. She just didn't like them as much as they were a bigger patch. Hope that helps. :)

GerryL

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2020, 07:56:23 PM »

Hi again Sammie. Now please dont shoot the messenger lol! My DIL sent me this video because she likes this lady and although she is a US doctor I have to agree that once I got over her slightly batty (but likeable) manner I found the video to be very good and informative. Just skip over the bit about the products only available in the US.

Apparently shes a top menopause doctor in the states. DIL said watch it and tell you the info but its 25 minutes long so I thought id better let you watch it yourself. Youll learn a lot especially about progesterone. I was going to send it if I could in  message but cant seem to do that so just putting the link to it here. I hope thats ok. Please do give it a watch and let me know what you think.  :)

https://youtu.be/NdI-L87IQJU

Sammiejane

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2020, 08:36:52 PM »

hi gerryl

thank you i shall have a look x

sorry one more question does your DiL use the patch on her abdomen or buttock x

thank u
Pages: [1] 2