Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Lymecycline Antibiotic and Estrogen levels  (Read 2184 times)

keancy

Lymecycline Antibiotic and Estrogen levels
« on: February 16, 2020, 01:08:10 PM »

Hi all,

I have been fortunate enough not to post for a good while because things were good.

However in January I was diagnosed with Rosacea and put on a 3 month course of Antibiotics........ roll forward 6 weeks and not only am I still unconvinced this is Rosacea but instead a severe reaction to constant bombardment of dry heated air and dust at work but I have started spotting and I am getting panic attacks again. I haven't had panic now for 18 months - 2 years almost and the only thing that has changed is the taking of the antibiotics. Upon some investigating online I find articles that state long term antibiotics can lower your estrogen levels and thus cause spotting/bleeding and other unwanted side effects. I am so annoyed with my GP for putting me on these when she is well aware of my over 2 year struggle to get my Peri under control, I now feel back to square one.

I want to stop taking these antibiotics asap but am unable to get an appointment with the GP for 3 weeks, I think by then I will have lost the plot with this panic. It says the minimum term to taking these is 6 weeks , well I have. Has anyone come off lymecyline and if so what is the best method please?

Joaniepat

Re: Lymecycline Antibiotic and Estrogen levels
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2020, 01:58:05 PM »

Do topical treatments not work for your rosacea, eg metronidazole gel or cream? During a bad flare up last summer I used metronidazole cream plus 50 mg Doxycycline for about 3 months and did not notice any untoward side effects. You want a sub-antimicrobial dose of antibiotic because you are only taking it for its anti inflammatory effect. I've never taken Lymecycline so not sure about that one. Sometimes just the topical approach will work.

JP x

keancy

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2020, 02:26:41 PM »

Do topical treatments not work for your rosacea, eg metronidazole gel or cream? During a bad flare up last summer I used metronidazole cream plus 50 mg Doxycycline for about 3 months and did not notice any untoward side effects. You want a sub-antimicrobial dose of antibiotic because you are only taking it for its anti inflammatory effect. I've never taken Lymecycline so not sure about that one. Sometimes just the topical approach will work.

JP x
Thank you for your quick response

I am beginning to think a topical route will be a better option for me, unfortunately I have a GP who not even considering affects with interactions to my HRT has just thrown antibiotics at me instead of the other route first. I will be suggesting this instead......however the appointment is 3 weeks away. I am unwilling to take these antibiotics for another 3 weeks :(

Foxylady

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2020, 08:41:11 PM »

Hi Keancy, I'm also on Lymecycline for a skin condition hydredinitis superativa. I didn't find anything specifically relating to use of Lymecycline on HRT when I researched it but that is interesting as I have found it difficult to find a sweet spot in term of my HRT but it has been only 8 months since I started HRT & I know for some in peri it can take alot of changes before getting the right combination. Started Estraderm MX 100 on Tuesday, hopeful this will sort my insomnia which has been the biggest and hardest to control symptom for me. I'm interested in how you get on so keep us updated. x

Taz2

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2020, 09:49:23 PM »

Hi. I was given Lymecycline for Rosacea. It worked but made me feel quite ill with upset stomach, nausea and it also caused an increase in panic and low mood. I now use it on a 6 weeks on and 6 weeks off regime to give myself a break. I am on full HRT and I can't say the Lymecycline has made any difference to my Meno symptoms

There is no reason for you to continue with the antibiotics if you don't want to. Rosacea isn't life threatening so you won't be putting yourself at risk. The topical creams didn't work for me but I have inflammatory Rosacea I think.

Taz x

keancy

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2020, 10:47:38 PM »

Hi Keancy, I'm also on Lymecycline for a skin condition hydredinitis superativa. I didn't find anything specifically relating to use of Lymecycline on HRT when I researched it but that is interesting as I have found it difficult to find a sweet spot in term of my HRT but it has been only 8 months since I started HRT & I know for some in peri it can take alot of changes before getting the right combination. Started Estraderm MX 100 on Tuesday, hopeful this will sort my insomnia which has been the biggest and hardest to control symptom for me. I'm interested in how you get on so keep us updated. x

I know what you mean, it took me 2 years of trial an error to get to a good place (where i was for about 18 months) and now 6 weeks into these antibiotics I am losing the battle again, damned this Rosecea :(

keancy

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2020, 10:51:13 PM »

Hi. I was given Lymecycline for Rosacea. It worked but made me feel quite ill with upset stomach, nausea and it also caused an increase in panic and low mood. I now use it on a 6 weeks on and 6 weeks off regime to give myself a break. I am on full HRT and I can't say the Lymecycline has made any difference to my Meno symptoms

There is no reason for you to continue with the antibiotics if you don't want to. Rosacea isn't life threatening so you won't be putting yourself at risk. The topical creams didn't work for me but I have inflammatory Rosacea I think.

Taz x

I am unsure what type mine is, the GP called it Acne Rosecea but I have zero spots just mild redness, sore eyes and burning..... the burning is the thing that bother's me the most it is so unpleasant. And then I get blasted by hot dusty air in the factory for 40 hours a week which isn't helping my case any. Either-way, the returning anxiety and body pain is bothering me more. Best I get myself a thrush treatment before dropping the antibiotic because that will follow  :o :-X

Taz2

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2020, 12:28:30 AM »

What dose are you on? It should be a low dose. I've had no problem with thrush while on it but I've recently had Amoxicillin for recurrent UTI and that did cause thrush. My Lymecycline dose is 408 or thereabouts once a day. The amoxicillin was 500 three times a day. Have a look for Rosacea advice online. Skincare regime is really important.

Taz x