Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Anyone want to join me? Decluttering and Replacement Only No Buy (RONB)  (Read 1594 times)

Focus

Feeling like I need some long term self improvement projects to work on : o)

I want to slowly declutter my house. Nothing drastic and quick, just something gentle and aware, but ongoing. More a lifestyle change...

I did a 'replacement only no buy' for makeup, skincare, haircare, homewares, clothe and accessories last year and it was pretty transformative. I'm carrying on with it this year, but I'd also like to move some things out of my (small house).

Anyone want to join me?

Sparrow

Re: Anyone want to join me? Decluttering and Replacement Only No Buy (RONB)
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2020, 11:29:25 AM »

We are doing this Focus.  It's not easy as my husband is a hoarder so every item has to be discussed.  I do sneak the odd thing out, when he is not looking.

My weakness is books.  I could open a shop.  ::).  We did the garage last year but unfortunately my eldest and his partner have' temporarily ' filled the space.

Focus

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2020, 11:34:47 AM »

Lol...yes, I have loads of books too.

Are you passing any of yours on?

Sparrow

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2020, 01:17:24 PM »

Usually the charity shops or family.  Sometimes it's hard to let go though.

Focus

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2020, 01:44:13 PM »

Totally agree. I've had some books for 20+ years.

Anyway, I'm starting small and easy: out of my house first are some old computer manuals (Garageband, Mac OSX, Microsoft).

Then I might look at some of my ex husband's books that he left behind (he left pretty much everything behind when he left. Just took a bag of clothes and that was it).

Foxylady

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2020, 06:32:06 PM »

We've been doing same, I've passed stuff onto work colleagues! x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2020, 06:37:32 PM »

Books are my weakness.  I have several that I will keep to re-read.  Lots on gardening, jewellery, animals etc.  Others I give to the Bank which is selling on behalf of MIND Charity.  Once read I am unlikely to go back to most, usually bought from Charity shops or from Post Script.  Book People went out of business  :-\

My next hoard are family photos  ::) some back as far as 1900.

Decluttering - not really.  I pay for two cabinets in an antique shop to sell jewellery, glass and ornaments that I no longer have use for, it's gong well. I do feel a sense of relief when items sell.  It also means that someone else gets enjoyment out of my choices.  I also collect Sealyham memorabilia which will be passed on to the owners of a working pack - I enjoy it all until I give it over. 

Clothing goes to our local homeless charity for their pop-up shop where they sell items to raise funds.  Our local Church takes it to the Centre where it is sorted for sale.

If we were raided they would have to tidy up first  ::)

Good Luck! 

Taz2

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2020, 12:27:52 AM »

I've been trying to reduce my books and cd's via MusicMagpie. Very efficient and easy.

Taz x

Usually the charity shops or family.  Sometimes it's hard to let go though.

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2020, 08:34:27 AM »

I am laughing reading this because I am still bed and can see at least 150 books from where I am.  there are 12 on bedside cabinet, There are 5 piles of 10 under the window and there is a corner table with the rest piled up underneath it.  There is also a box full alongside but I have not counted those! 😂

I take a bag of books I have finished with to the charity stalls in either Aldi or Tesco every week.

Am currently reading a book called The Life of Stuff by Susannah Walker about clearing her late mother's house. She was a hoarder and heavy smoker and the house was full to the rafters and covered in a yellow slime from the cigarette smoke.  Very interesting read.

For quite some time now I have made sure I give away something for every new item that comes into the house.  I have ebayed loads of stuff too.

Focus

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2020, 09:49:25 AM »

I think I would find reading something like that quite stressful  8)

I already photograph all my makeup, skincare and haircare empties. I started doing this last year as part of my replacement only no buy for those categories (after years of buying too many of everything of those).

What I'm considering now is photographing everything I take to charity (as a group, not individual items).

And also making up a chart to stick on the back of the front door: one for each month; and also broken down into categories (clothing, accessories, homewares, books); and then one column for in and one for out. The outgoing column could be either because I'm giving that item away to charity, I've finished it, or am throwing it out, but essentially it's out of my life.

The 'one in, one out' idea is a great one, but the ratio needs to be more like 'one in, ten out' for me at this point.

I have one bag ready for the charity shop, and one envelope ready to post to Smalls For All (check them out on google if you've never heard of them). So those will be first to record on my list and photograph.

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2020, 01:04:17 PM »

That's a good idea to take photos: making an album of memories which can be looked at when necessary.

I find that once my stuff has gone, it's out of my head.  I rarely think about it.

sheila99

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2020, 01:24:56 PM »

I need a skip. Deceased relatives are my downfall, stuff the charity shops don't want but are too good to throw away, and I might make of one day. And worse with my parents, I have a room full of stuff not because I want to keep it but because I don't want to throw it away. I've had a go in the past, got upset and given up. It's 5 years now so the intention is to get on with it this year.

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2020, 03:07:25 PM »

Taking photos sounds great.

DH has been through our auction folder so I've been shredding.  He likes to compare what we buy items for and how they sell, sometimes many years later. 

CLKD

« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2020, 04:11:45 PM »

I bought another brooch today
DH bought 5 watches over the weekend to open, clean, repair if necessary: he will put them for sale next week if they work
I have books to take to charity shop, a few to put away ready for C.mas  ;) by which time I will have forgotten about those; lots still to read .....