Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Does HRT just postpone symptoms?  (Read 2284 times)

Fayhero19

Does HRT just postpone symptoms?
« on: February 11, 2020, 08:48:41 PM »

Hi everyone, newbie here!

I'm nearly 4y post BSO and have been on HRT from 6weeks after op. Could anyone let me know does HRT just postpone the symptoms of meno? I've been told I will need to stop after 5y and am terrified of being hit with symptoms like a truck like just after my op.

Thanks for any advice, experience or opinions x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Does HRT just postpone symptoms?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2020, 09:01:17 PM »

Hi - what's BSO ?

Since you went onto HRT ideas about length of treatment has altered.  Some ladies remain on it for ever.  Others have a break to see where they might be in their menopausal journey.  Maybe think why you began treatment initially?  What are you actually using to ease symptoms?

Do read round.  Especially those threads about vaginal atrophy ;-).

I am sure someone who takes HRT will be along.

MicheleMaBelle

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2020, 09:02:43 PM »

Total rubbish. You can continue as long as you feel like it provided you have no underlying medical issues. Tell your docs to read the Nice guidelines on prescribing.
Also, nonsense about it delaying the onset of symptoms. If you stop and have symptoms, you would have had them anyway regardless of whether or not you took HRT. The clock doesn't reset.
Unfortunately some women can have symptoms for quite a long time. X

Sammiejane

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2020, 11:42:16 PM »

BSO is bilateral salphingo oopherectomy

in short removal of ovaries

i was told to remain till 51 minimum

Penelope

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2020, 01:29:21 AM »

Hello you need to do some googling Jane Seymour came off then went back on.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-374346/Jane-Seymour-HRT-dilemma.html

And now in Sweden they are saying to stay on HRT into your 80s is a good thing.And I agree.

https://gldmd.com/blog/hormone-therapy-estrogen-for-patients-in-their-80s/

We must advocate and study and learn so we can choose what is best for us.🌹

kdee69

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2020, 06:57:53 AM »

The issue for me is not the oestrogen I take, but the progesterone. I personally can not wait to stop taking HRT and am hoping that I can taper off as i get older so that I can ditch the progesterone. I've tried five different types and the only one that was any good was one that wasn't licenced for HRT that they gave me accidentally. My migraines, which are hormonal, whilst abated on the wrong HRT , have been just hell on Earth recently. I probably have 2 out of 7 free from pain if I'm lucky. I don't drink, don't eat refined carbs or sugar and exercise moderately and to no avail. After spending a ridiculous amount of money on alternative therapies, coupled with beta blockers and no end of drugs to try and stave them, I am resigned to riding it out. I even came off HRT the year before last and felt like curling up into a ball and never leaving the house, the paranoia and emotional rollercoaster was that bad. I have woken this morning to start yet another busy day at work with the pain from hell.
Sorry to start the day off in such a downer but that's now I'm feeling

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2020, 07:28:51 AM »

There are some Consultants who will give injections for migraines - sorry too early to remember what and why  :-\

Jari

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2020, 08:33:49 AM »

Hi Fayhero and welcome.

What is your age, had you already stopped periods, if so, how long had it been since they stopped. What was the reason for having your ovaries removed? It might be the reason re hrt..

Every woman has a different menopause experience. In my case the first symptoms I had were a year after my last period. I do not take hrt but follow a hormone balancing diet and my symptoms have become less and less and now are just a couple of hot (mild) flushes each day. Some women's meno symptoms pass after a 2 or 3 years anyway so that may be the reason in my case or it may have something to do with my lifestyle change or a mix of both?!

When you take hrt it rises your estrogen levels and when you come off it, these will decline again..

X

Jellyb

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2020, 10:00:18 AM »

Hi Fayhero
I had BSO (having had my ovaries removed due to persistant ovarian cysts).  I am 48 and have been on varies types of HRT since 2008 when I have my ovaries removed and was plunged into surgical menopause.
During this time I have tried various HRT.  I found Evorel 25mg patch & Mirena coil suited me the best.  I felt great on that.  However, when they came to remove & replace the coil, it was not possible due to medical reasons.  I am now on Evorel Conti 25mg patch and I feel fine.
At the time of the unsuccessful coil replacement I did try herbal remedies, on the advice of my consultant, but I got hot flushes, night sweats and just didn't feel like myself, hence commencing the Evorel Conti patches. 
With the recent shortage of patches I did try rationing them and found that I didn't cope well.  This, I think, tells me that I am not yet ready to come off of HRT.
Being only 37 when my ovaries were removed, I feel that I need the HRT and will continue to take it for as long as I can.  Maybe in the future, perhaps in my mid-fifties, I might see how I am without it, but that would be carefully planned as I know how it affected me (my work/home life) when I tried before.  At the moment, thought, I have no reason to come off and am happy about the way I feel.
Hope this helps.

Hurdity

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2020, 03:13:13 PM »

Hi Fayhero19

:welcomemm:

As Michelemabelle says - no need to stop!  What reason has been given for this? In fact the stats indicate that oestrogen only HRT may be protective as far as breast cancer is concerned. How old are you anyway? It is especially important to replace oestrogen until the average age of menopause if your BSO was earlier than this. It can actually be harmful to your health not to replace oestrogen if your BSO was when you were still much less than average menopause age.

Even if it did postpone symptoms and you did decide to stop - so what - you have reaped the benefits of it all the time you have been taking it, and noone can take that away from you! It is not just about obvious symptoms anyway.... Please don't be fobbed off by your docs and outdated information!

Jellyb - I would be wanting ideally a higher oestrogen dose than this for better protection against osteoporosis - have you tried going to 37.5 and preferably going to 50 mcg if possible?

Hurdity x

Jellyb

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2020, 04:32:29 PM »

Hi Hurdity
No, not tried any higher, in fact I cut my patch in half and apply twice a week.  I did used to be on 3/4 of a patch but it made my boobs very tender & sore, so I went down to half.

kdee69

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2020, 08:08:44 PM »

kdee69 - I hear you!

What was this 'wrong' product you were given that seemed to suit you? Surely you have a case for asking to remain on it unlicenced or not?

It was Desogesterel and unfortunately after 6 months of me sailing by on it period free, I had an almighty full on bleed with clots one particular Friday night. This led to a scan, and then the realisation that my womb has thickened outside an acceptable amount.
They switched me to Provera and the headaches returned, slowly at first and now just full on. This, to be fair, is also coupled with being further into the menopause. If I could go back I would 😒
« Last Edit: February 12, 2020, 09:00:02 PM by kdee69 »

Ladybt28

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2020, 02:43:06 PM »

Do you have to take your Provera continuously Kdee69...sorry if you have said already.  Provera was intolerable for me, it mega messed with my head.  I'm same as Stellajane...Utrogestan best for me but only on a cycle...my body can't handle any of them continuously...I couldn't do a mirena coil either because of it.  I'm post meno by the way.

kdee69

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2020, 04:04:33 AM »

Do you have to take your Provera continuously Kdee69...sorry if you have said already.  Provera was intolerable for me, it mega messed with my head.  I'm same as Stellajane...Utrogestan best for me but only on a cycle...my body can't handle any of them continuously...I couldn't do a mirena coil either because of it.  I'm post meno by the way.
Yes I'm meno so take it every day. Utrogestan was the worst for me due to the migraines. Plus I felt almost spaced out on it and couldn't really function due to tiredness. I've just dropped to one pump Oestrogel and am monitoring my symptoms. So far only tingling lips which is incredibly bizarre -oh and the ever familiar whooshing is back in my ears 🙄. I do notice I'm a bit ?jumpier? too. That said, my body is probably still full of oestrogen so this may be the calm before the storm ⛈

Ladybt28

« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2020, 01:18:42 PM »

Hey...you're in good company I had tingling in the lips and the migraines, and yes I had wooshing.  To be honest the only thing I haven't had as part of peri/meno is VA!  I thought I was about to have a stroke!!!  But you're not I can reliably report...well I didn't and I haven't, these are stuff on the list of meno symptoms with the likes of earache cos of jaw clenching and burning shins amongst the usual panic attacks, dread, and other delightful occurrances :-\ ;D.  Sorry to make light but if you don't laugh you will cry more than you already do because of the tearfulness which sets in! ;)!!  Honestly, when you write this stuff down you think....what the....!!!

I had to up my oestrogen dramatically to make it all go away.  When is stayed on low dose and I kept it low for about 2 months, it all just stayed the same.  Do you need to take the Provera continuously...maybe you could take it on a cycle to minimise the affects of the progesterone. xx