Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Slurred speech anyone?  (Read 9464 times)

Kathleen

Re: Slurred speech anyone?
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2020, 08:42:37 PM »

Hello ladies.

I don't eat any animal products so I need to take B12 as a supplement.

I have tried a few but I've found the the best one is the  tablet that  dissolves under your tongue.  I understand that the most easily absorbed form of B12 is  Methylcobalamin and I buy mine from Holland and Barratt.

Hope this is helpful.

Take care ladies.

K.

Alicess

« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2020, 07:58:50 AM »

I'm a bit surprised there isn't much information about Vit B12 deficiency in the UK. Serum B12 bloodtest doesn't reveal a deficiency, you need other bloodtests and if you do have a lack of B12 oral supplementation doesn't help. You need injections or second best; sublingual tablets.
Oral supplementation will also give a false normal of high level, you could still be deficiënt.

The link is from a Dutch site but articles are in English.

https://stichtingb12tekort.nl/our-english-articles/

It would be best to take both methylcobalamine and adenosylcolalamine together sublingual and folic acid.

Alicess

Joesmum

« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2020, 09:44:26 AM »

Hi Christinedownsouth,
I was interested to read this as I have slurred speech very badly too especially in the evenings when I’m tired. However there can be another reason for this....

It’s often related to Psychomotor retardation. Which is basically a slowing down of the body. It’s almost like feeling drunk. Would you say?
This IS a symptom of menopause.

BUT it’s also a very frequent sign of LOW THYROID FUNCTION
I am hypothyroid and the crossover between menopause and low thyroid symptoms are so similar that they can easily be confused and sadly overlooked.
At the time of menopause the Thyroid is supposed to pick up the slack but very often, at this time it decides to under function.Many women are diagnosed with low thyroid function around the time of menopause.

I would suggest you ask your GP for a thyroid function test. That would include TSH and Free T4.
Don’t accept a TSH level above 1.  In ‘range’ is not good enough.
You should also be looking for a FT4 result in the upper third of the reference range. If it’s any lower then that too is not good enough.
I would be happy to offer guidance on your results.
If this slurring is happening especially in the evenings when you are tired I would suggest that it’s more likely to be your thyroid.
If the thyroid function test comes back fine then I would suggest increasing your HRT dose.

« Last Edit: December 24, 2020, 10:00:42 AM by Joesmum »

KaraShannon

« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2024, 01:16:16 AM »

I hope no one mind's me resurrecting this thread, but while I haven't had slurred speech, everything decribed here is what I've had for the past week since mixing my patches up. 

I'm resurrecting it in case anyone else gets these symptoms, I was so worried about them but this is reassuring. 

OP, if you're reading, how's it going?  (and others)

KaraShannon

« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2024, 01:13:08 PM »

anyone?  :-\
Pages: 1 [2]