Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: What happens if you suddenly stop ?  (Read 1038 times)

Samade

What happens if you suddenly stop ?
« on: February 01, 2020, 12:17:29 AM »

My supply of evorel sequi is nearly gone! I have heard it should be back soon but probably not in time for me. I had hoped to increase my dose to a whole patch as my mood has really dipped the last couple of months. I can't have the tablets and trying the mirena failed, I warned my doctor back in August/September that I might need an alternative. She won't do anything without talking to a consultant and that seems to be taking forever!
If I have to suddenly stop what happens I feel low enough as it is.  X

GypsyRoseLee

Re: What happens if you suddenly stop ?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2020, 09:32:18 AM »

Hi Samade. I have asked the same question last night. I have had to stop my HRT because have just been diagnosed with oestrogen receptive ductal carcinoma. So, I haven't had any HRT since Thursday morning. I definitely feel more wobbly and anxious, but don't know if that's just because of my diagnosis or because of stopping HRT?

A few years ago I wrote on here a diary of when I tried the Pill to stop my peri symptoms. I might do a diary about stopping HRT, it will help me and might be useful for others on here?

GypsyRoseLee

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2020, 09:38:26 AM »

Also, have you tried an anti depressant. I take 100mg of sertraline and it really does help.

GypsyRoseLee

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2020, 12:17:07 PM »

Thank you StellaJane. Oddly enough, it's not the physical side of my diagnosis bit treatment that bothers me at all. I don't care how uncomfortable it might be. I am far more scared of my mood going back to that awful dark place I was in 4 years ago, before finding the right combo of HRT + sertraline. That genuinely terrifies me. I just cannot think my mood will be able to cope with no oestrogen, especially as I will have to take Tamoxifen.

Samade

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2020, 07:57:08 PM »

It is the anxiety/ low mood I'm worried about especially as I'm just beginning the house buying process and I don't want to go crazy in the middle of it.  My doctor won't prescribe tablets because of a past DVT 😕
I had come off an antidepressant last summer and would consider going back on except each time I've tried one I get much worse before I get better and it takes 3-4 months to settle and I don't want to risk getting worse whilst house buying. I may have tough it. X

Samade

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2020, 07:58:56 PM »

A diary would be really good, probably for you and everyone in a similar situation xx

Hi Samade. I have asked the same question last night. I have had to stop my HRT because have just been diagnosed with oestrogen receptive ductal carcinoma. So, I haven't had any HRT since Thursday morning. I definitely feel more wobbly and anxious, but don't know if that's just because of my diagnosis or because of stopping HRT?

A few years ago I wrote on here a diary of when I tried the Pill to stop my peri symptoms. I might do a diary about stopping HRT, it will help me and might be useful for others on here?

Mogster71

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2020, 06:21:01 AM »

I think journalling can really help. I have kept a diary of my journey through all this HRT, originally to document how I was feeling and to see if I could identify any patterns when symptoms arise. It also meant I had something to present my GP with, dates etc. if I needed to change or tweak treatments.

I definitely noticed a couple of patterns, but it also meant I could see that other things have improved with treatment, which is nice to see.

GRL I'm sorry to hear of your diagnosis and wish you well x

Samade your GP should have access to the British Menopause Society guide to treatments and alternatives - it shouldn't be rocket science :(  My new GP rang through to the dispensary attached to our surgery 3 or 4 times to try and get a certain patch and kept going till we found a combo - which happens to be separates because there was nothing in stock I could tolerate. Hope you can find something suitable soon, just bug the backside off them! x

Penelope

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2020, 07:45:45 AM »

Hi Samade when my doctor gave me HRT he was trying to find me one that was fully funded then we found out that none are funded here.So he said ok we will put you on the contraceptive pill 'that's fully funded.I asked what the difference is between HRT and the contraceptive pill his reply was the pill is twice the strength of HRT so with that advice in your situation I would give it a go and it is never out of supply.Good on you for thinking outside the box 🌹

Hurdity

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2020, 10:13:28 AM »

Hi Samade - there are other types of HRT you can take without resorting to tablets. No need to stop! There are oestrogen only patches (and yes there are some available despite the shortages!) which you can take with Utrogestan or Provera. Evorel is also due to come back into production very soon although will be "snapped up" when it does so undoubtedly shortages will continue. Exactly Mogster! Surely your doc does not need to go back to consultant to change your prescription especially if it is to another patch - please do go to another doc if yours refuses to play ball due to ignorance, and in any case - what's wrong with the phone or e-mail? Getting in touch with a consultant should be pretty quick!! You shouldn't need to go back on ADs for a hormonal problem either just because they are slow in coming back to you....

Good luck and also with the house buying!

Hurdity x

Samade

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2020, 07:52:28 PM »

It is frustrating, I've seen several of the GPs and they always sound as if they are really going to sort something.... then I hear nothing.  Person I spoke to at reception says they have been chasing the consultant by letter/email but ?Christmas? has delayed things. They did mention something about talking to one of the prescribing advisors next week so fingers crossed.