Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: I need some reassurance  (Read 781 times)

Donnadoobie

I need some reassurance
« on: January 30, 2020, 12:57:06 PM »

I have picked up my first prescription of Vagifem today.  I have just read the information sheet in the pack and feel quite scared!  I have high blood pressure, which I discussed with the nurses yesterday, she told me it is a very low dose so should not be a problem.  Also it mentions fibroids.  I had a small fibroid that was picked up about 10 years ago, is this a problem?

All the mention of strokes, cancer, blood clots and thrombosis is making me feel very nervous about using it.

Any advice?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: I need some reassurance
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2020, 01:02:02 PM »

Sadly it's HRT - so covers the same warnings that other medications carry.  However, it is a small amount and Quality of Life is important.  It is delivered into the vagina so should not affect blood pressure.  Did the Nurse take your readings? 

Give it a whirl  ;) otherwise the condition may worsen.  Every night for 2/3 weeks then a few times a week.

Donnadoobie

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2020, 01:14:00 PM »

Thanks, I feel a little reassured

She did not take BP yesterday but I have a bi annual check next week.  Bp has been pretty steady for the past few years, even to the point of reducing medication.  Normally around 135/75-80 but that is on medication.  I will mention it to the nurse next week.

I will look for the FB group birdy

Whatsupwiththis

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2020, 01:44:18 PM »

I am 68 and dx'ed about a year ago with VA along with extremely high uncontrolled BP and my GP INSISTED I use Vagifem DAILY as, like CLKD mentioned, QUALITY OF LIFE VS QUANTITY.    She is very experienced and said vagifem should not affect BP.  As a matter of fact, since I have been on Vagifem my BP has dropped.  She did REFUSE systemic HRT due to age and BP but was quite happy to prescribe local HRT.  You should be fine.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2020, 02:19:37 PM »

Your Nurse should have taken your BP there and then!  Remiss.  She wasn't listening.

My DH has white coat syndrome and a calmer more laid back person you won't meet anywhere.  He has a home monitor which he uses at the same time B4 breakfast.  Takes notes.   Shows his GP when necessary and always OK.

:thankyou:  Birdy you explained what I was trying to imply  ::)