Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Itching and HRT  (Read 1003 times)

Amychaos

Itching and HRT
« on: January 29, 2020, 02:41:43 PM »

Hi ladies

Was wondering if anyone can help me with my current predicament. I have been on Oestrogen and Utrogestan continuously for 8 months. I have had odd itchy rash on my feet in the last few months but for the last couple of weeks I have had an unbearable rash on my shins and legs - it is now spreading to my arms and I feel itchy all over. This coincided with an increase in my progesterone and a reduction in my oestrogel as advised by my doctor. HRT has improved my symptoms but never really had a good long spell of feeling well - always tired, and very tingly legs recently. Was possible fibro/autoimmune diagnosed before I went on HRT but it has helped and generally I have got my life back and moved on and put a horrible few years behind me, as . My doc wanted to increase my progesterone as she said any breast pain is too much oestrogen, as I only recently stopped my periods I may have surges of oestrogen of my own.

I am so confused, this feels like an allergic reaction but my doc says it is unlikely to be hormones. I have reduced everything for the last few days, and taken antihistamines but it hasn't really improved. I can feel my mood dropping from the low hrt, I am a zombie from the antihistamines (even the non drowsy ones) and I am bleeding from the awful itch that is spreading. Can the increased utrogestan have started this reaction? Or is it the lower oestrogen? Or is it a general reaction to HRT in general? Or is an itchy bumpy rash common in menopause anyway  - even if you are on HRT? Is this a vitamin deficiency? Because of my tingly legs and tiredness I asked for a B12 test but GP wont do it. Any input is gratefully received I am going crazy and really dont know what to do. I am seeing the GP tomorrow but they wont have a clue about hormones.

jaycee

Re: Itching and HRT
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2020, 03:03:51 PM »

Have you looked at the leaflet you got with your HRT some do say itching can be a side effect,
There is a thread on here already started recently, but more about a specific HRT
I had terrible itching about a year ago, and woke up one morning looking as if i had been attacked by an animal, my arms were bleeding too, never really found out why
Does your scalp itch too,?
I had some hair loss and still get an itchy scalp,for which i am prescribed Dermovate

Ladybt28

Re: Itching and HRT
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2020, 03:09:28 PM »

so I am on the same regime as you Amychaos, oestrogel and utrogestan.  I got itchy shins and a bit of an itchy head but no rash when I dropped by gel from 4 pumps to 3.  It wasn't permanent but it came on for no apparent reason usually at night.  I took antihistimines to stop it when it came on.  I have gone back up to 4 pumps of gel and added one of my doses of testosterone back in (I had dropped from 3 times a week to 2).  The itching seems to have stopped.  I'm not sure about your rash though?
I also know if I take Biotin (vitamins for hair and nails) I itch.

Anyway, how much has she increased your utrogestan to on a continuous basis?  It should be 100mg per day which is the usual prescribed dose.  If you were ok ish before for about 8 months, then we need to work out what's different now? xx