Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Could I now be diabetic  (Read 2673 times)

Baby

Could I now be diabetic
« on: January 11, 2020, 07:13:35 PM »

I think I am going mad but if do not eat every two to three hours I start to get the shakes and all jittery. Only figured this out over the last three days. And could this be the cause of my morning anxiety. How can our hormones do all these vile things to our bodies. :'(

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Could I now be diabetic
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2020, 08:19:04 PM »

Because they do.  It's 'the change' : does what it says on the tin.  HORMONES  >:(

Think back to when you were a teen.  If you did exercise, did you ever get the shakes?  Or after excitement ........

How often to you eat?  I was advised by NAPS to eat every 3 hours, 24/7.  I now have biscuits, dried fruits/nuts, bananas to munch trying to eat B4 my body gets hungry.  Otherwise I feel suddenly very sick and the shakes begin.  If I have a burst of adrenaline, I get the shakes after.   If I walk to fast, the same. 

Unlikely to be diabetes but if you are worried ask your Practice Nurse for advice.  One can eat oneself out of diabetes as well as eating into it. 

Think about your diet over 24 hours as well as through the week, depending on your work, exercise plan, stresses ........

Baby

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2020, 09:34:52 AM »

This is bloody crazy. People I talk with my age only have a few symptons or gone on HRT and brilliant it works for them. If if wasn't for forums like this I think there would be mass suicide because you really feel like you are crazy and as my doctor told me  your HRT should work it does for everyone else! . Well I know my hrt is working cos my boobs have ballooned  but it's not helping much else. I mentioned my doc said I was borderline hypo on here well went to put some make up on the other day (this is a rare occurrence these days) and my one top eyelid seems to have dropped. What's that all about  ???

Baby

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2020, 11:12:40 AM »

Had my tsh done in August.it was 4.5. Had it done nearly six weeks ago and it was 5.52 so he has given me 25 micrograms of levothyroxine.got to go back Wednesday.x

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2020, 12:29:39 PM »

Ask to be referred to a Diabetic Nurse.  Your Surgery should have one or a District Nurse that visits diabetic patients in the catchment area.

Diabtese has specific symptoms.  Some ladies find that keeping a mood/symptom/food diary of use to chart progress, to take to the appt. and talk with the GP about.

Let us know how you get on?

Baby

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2020, 01:19:47 PM »

It seems that diabetes thyroid and menopause all interlock. Just had a panic attack so went for a run. Am a bit calmer now. I have had panic attacks before but I had triggers. Now they seem to just come. Have just taken my conti patch off. Been on them for eight weeks and not helping. Should be on sequins anyway cos I'm late peri.x

Baby

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2020, 01:21:50 PM »

Lord I will need more than my ten minutes allocation with all my problems.gonna ask to be referred to an hormone specalists

Mintea

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2020, 02:22:26 PM »

I used to get that if I was eating a lot of carbs, particularly bread, it would just come on out of the blue. I dont get it as much if I eat more protein or
vegetables and healthy fats and try to reduce carbs.

Kathleen

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2020, 04:56:14 PM »

Hello ladies

Complex carbs  should be okay to eat because they contain fibre which is digested slowly thereby preventing spikes in blood glucose. This is why processed foods create difficulties because all the fibre has been removed. Live life on the veg as they say lol.

Wishing you well ladies.

K.

Hurdity

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2020, 05:14:03 PM »

Baby I agree with the others - I don't know what you are eating every 2 to 3 hours or generally, but you need to eat protein rich foods, lots of fruit and veg and as the others have said - complex carbs. Cut out sugar as much as you can  (including juice and sweetened drinks) as well as refined foods especially refined carbs in favour of slow release ( low GI) foods. This will stabilise blood sugar and prevent the insulin spikes which could be the cause of your shakes. You should not need to eat that often if you are eating enough and of the right foods.

If it's low blood sugar shakes ( and you will know these!) - does it occur at a particular time of day? If so you could benefit from working out when. Make sure you have a good breakfast including protein and complex carbs ( as well as fruit, yogurt etc from time to time).

If you have started thyroxine though - your metabolism will have speeded up so the shakes could be down to this?  If you are feeling hot and start to lose weight then the dose maybe too high perhaps? WRensong is the one who is knowledgeable about all of this ( thyroid etc).

Hurdity x

dangermouse

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2020, 05:39:36 PM »

Hey, I can strongly recommend Kate Deerings book on How to Heal Your Metabolism.

It's very much a hormone corrector as well where she states the thyroid to be the key hormone to get right so that all the others hormones that follow are more balanced.

She used to be a low carber (like me) but now believes it works in the short term but puts a lot of pressure on adrenals and insulin in the long term. The gut lining and bacteria get affected which has a knock on effect to everything.

It's not a diet book, more a scientific insight into which foods heal the gut, such as below ground veg, fruits and juice, very little grains, which are basically seeds that irritate the gut. To keep blood sugar levels balanced you should eat a little protein with fruit and to drink orange juice but not with the bits. These are very hard to digest and now I know why orange juice used to give me reflux and now it is absorbing and helping to clear up SIBO.

There's a lot that goes against the usual diet truths and a third of the book is references so it's very well researched.

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2020, 05:45:48 PM »

:thankyou:

Wrensong

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2020, 06:45:05 PM »

Hi Baby, we chatted a bit on another thread but I'm sorry to see here that blood sugar issues seem to be rearing their ugly head for you - seems to be quite a common problem at menopause.  I've posted quite a bit about this in the past so hope you don't mind if I recycle an old post here.  I've scanned this thread & agree with the wise comments the other ladies have already made & apologise to everyone in advance if I repeat any advice already given.  Should perhaps also say that if you are at all concerned, please mention it to your GP who may want to test your sugar levels.  I had a home testing kit for a few days a decade or so ago, so we could be sure I wasn't diabetic.

Hypothyroidism can also bring a tendency to hypogylcaemia so it can be something of a double whammy for hypo ladies to manage blood sugar at this stage in our lives.  Moderate meal size rather than large, making sure you eat complex carbs & good portions of protein at each meal with healthy snacks between (oatcakes, nuts, apple) helps stabilise blood sugar, which can otherwise lead to shaking, panic sensations, weakness & flushing if it falls too low.  Protein is especially important as it slows digestion & helps to spread the glycaemic load from the carbs we eat.  Very low carb diets are not a good idea at this time of our lives, especially not in hypothyroidism as carbs are needed for Thyroxine to be utilised to the full.  Making sure any carbs are of the complex variety is key.  Try to avoid sugary drinks/snacks & if you have fruit juice, perhaps take it in small amounts/diluted & only with a main meal. 

As breakfast is often high carb, I pour natural yoghurt (high protein Greek 2% fat/Onken full fat) diluted with milk over fibre-rich cereal, add nuts, seeds &/or a boiled egg with wholegrain/rye toast & always have some mixed fresh fruit, though fruit salad on its own is probably best avoided as it can pack a big sugar punch.  Porridge is great but without nuts & egg is too high in carbs to sustain me until lunch. 

Main meals are easier to include protein - lean meat, fish, beans.  Cottage cheese can be helpful if you like it (minimal sat fat with reasonable protein).  Pasta based meals became a no-no as the carb portion was simply too big, causing a sugar spike then crash.  I do still eat (GF) pasta but in smaller portions & always with a sauce containing adequate protein & veg.

Before bed, maybe try some no-added-sugar muesli (check label to be sure not high in sugar from any dried fruit) or a small bowl of yoghurt with some complex carbs like a couple of oatcakes, to help keep blood sugar more stable overnight, reducing the number of wakenings & sweats. 

Oh & can I say never exercise on empty?!  I found I had to eat a little about an hour before cycling, otherwise I'd crash (not literally!)

I hope all this doesn't sound preachy, but it's easy to waste years wondering what on earth's going on once everything begins to change at peri - I knew very little about blood sugar control beforehand & suffered more than I needed to because I was not eating in the right way for my body's new needs!  Hope you start to feel better soon.
Wx

P.S. there's increasing opinion that hypothyroid patients do better on low gluten or GF diets.  This is certainly the case for me - I'm not strictly GF as I have a little whole rye bread now & then but eat no wheat & only GF oat products.  Over time, this has made a massive difference to the way my digestive tract functions, improving transit time & gastritis.  Chronic inflammation can result from ingestion of gluten in susceptible individuals & in an inflammatory state, absorption is compromised which can also result in chronic hypogylcaemia.  This may be something to think about once your optimal dose of thyroid replacement has been established, if you are still feeling unwell at that stage. 

Gosh - several more posts in the time it took me to do this - sorry - server seems to have been up & down all day, making posting a haphazard affair.  Apologies again for repeating other posters' advice!
« Last Edit: January 13, 2020, 07:17:40 AM by Wrensong »

CLKD

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2020, 07:11:36 PM »

Certainly is haphazard!  I have to copy and go back into the Forum  ::)

I used to eat a good breakfast, leave the washing up and go on my cycle.  Within 2 miles I would be on the floor - literally.  I would stop, sweating: feel very sick then wham! but not 1 driver ever stopped  >:(

I learned to cycle on a round of toast and take a banana  ;)

Wrensong

« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2020, 07:27:51 PM »

Yes me too CLKD - been copying posts in & out to prevent losing them but then after posting see that bits have indeed been lost. ::)