Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Taking painkillers regularly  (Read 1452 times)

Rosie63

Taking painkillers regularly
« on: January 11, 2020, 12:48:20 PM »

Hi ladies. I'm not sure if anyone can advise me on this but I'm trying to give up HRT because of the horrible side effects I was experiencing. Today is my 9th day without taking it, so still early days.  I'm not feeling too bad but I've noticed my muscles and joints have started to ache again.  I'm taking either paracetamol or Nurofen which definitely helps but I'm worried that I shouldn't be taking these every day really. Has anyone else taken painkillers every day to help with their aches ?

Any advice or experiences with this would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Rosie63 x

Bobidy

Re: Taking painkillers regularly
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2020, 01:01:08 PM »

Hi

Paracetamol is the 'safest' painkiller.

NSAIDS eg ibruprofen can damage the stomach if taken regularly, as can aspirin. Try to take them after a meal.

Anything with caffeine may set off flushes, palpitations etc.

I think there is some info on the NHS website with further details.

Oestrogen in HRT acts as an anti inflammatory, which is why it eases joint and muscle aches. I had these and they have virtually gone now thanks to estrogel.

You may want to try vit d3, highish strength Omega 3, magnesium and a vit b complex, which can all help. As do Epsom salt baths or foot baths (I just use a washing up bowl with a towel underneath).

I find a good old hot water bottle can also work miracles.

I hope some of this helps. X

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2020, 02:28:38 PM »

Paracetamol should be on prescription only.  It is in many medications sold over the counter and is a common cause of death from overdose in the UK. 

As oestrogen levels drop muscles may become lax = aches and pains.  Maybe speak to your local Pharmacist Rosei?  A safe combination of pain relief may be suggested.

Low vitD levels cause intense tiredness over a period of months, should be diagnosed via a blood test so that appropriate capsules can be prescribed.

Rosie63

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2020, 03:37:07 PM »

Thank you ladies for taking the time reply and for your helpful advice.  I've had my vit d levels checked and came back ok but will definitely try the other supplements you've suggested.  I knew really that this would be the first symptom to rear it's ugly head on giving up the HRT so I'm not surprised.  I've upped my exercise big time as this always helps me feel better so hopefully this, combined with trying the supplements, will all help.  We will see 😊

Thanks again ladies.

Rosie x

sheila99

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2020, 05:54:04 PM »

I would ask your gp before you take any painkillers long term. They were happy for f in l to be on maximum dose paracetamol but he was in his 80s. The advice may be different for someone younger.

Bobidy

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2020, 09:14:01 PM »

Oooo yes, I really don't think any painkiller should be taken continuously without dr approval, all drugs have an effect and side effect.

Could you change your hrt and trial another type to see if that helps, then you are just replacing the hormones you have lost rather than controlling the pains?

X

Hurdity

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2020, 04:48:18 PM »

Hi Rosie63

Sorry to hear about your symptoms appearing after stopping HRT. Personally I wouldn't bother with any of the supplements (very expensive wee-wee someone said!) and concentrate on having a very good diet full of fresh foods not processed and with a variety of low fat, low refined carbs/sugar foods, to give you what you need. Vit D is the important one that could become deficient if you don't watch it but as long as you get plenty of sunlight (all year round!), eat several portions of oily fish and take a cod liver oil capsule every now and again (depending what other foods you're eating that contain vit D) - you should hopefully be fine (I take CLO about once or twice a week in winter from about Dec to March to be on the safe side) - especially if you've been tested recently ( in winter months).

I agree about caution re painkillers -for a start they can have a rebound effect so that the pain returns when you ease off or stop - at least this does happen with headaches - not sure about other aches and pains? Ibuprofen - I can only take about one or two doses as it affects my stomach and makes me nauseous - even having it with food :(

Does gentle exercise ease the pains?

Hope you feel better soon....

Hurdity x

Rosie63

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2020, 06:31:17 PM »

Thanks for your replies ladies.  I'm not taking the painkillers as I don't actually feel too bad at the moment.  Day 10 today of no hrt.  The longest I've gone without is 9 days so cautiously hopeful at the moment.  I swim once a week, yoga once a week and the other days, I'm going for a brisk walk.  My diet's not too bad but have tweaked it to make sure I'm having more plant based foods.  This really does seem to be helping but, as I say, it's very early days so will see how it goes.  Keep your fingers crossed for me ladies 🤞

Sorry to be dim, Hurdity, but what's CLO?

Rosie xx

Hurdity

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2020, 12:46:54 PM »

Cod liver oil. You're not dim at all rosie - I was being lazy (or rather trying to answer more posts in a limited time!) and because I had mentioned it in the same sentence i shortened it - it's not a normal abbreviation as far as I know!. Apologies - I'm posting in haste these days!

Hurdity x

Rosie63

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2020, 05:57:57 PM »

Thanks Hurdity.  I should have realised what CLO meant if I'd taken in your post properly.  Let's put it down to brain fog 😜😊

Rosiexx

Harmony

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2020, 01:21:40 PM »

I wouldn't advise a low fat diet. Good fats are now recognised as being very important for health, including for the joints and the brain - omega 3s (from oily fish), nuts and seeds. Avocados also have very beneficial fat, as does coconut oil and organic eggs. Processed vegetable oils/trans fats as used in margarine, most liquid cooking oils, bakery products and crisps etc are the bad ones that cause inflammation. Processed, refined carbs including sugar, obviously, are very inflammatory too. Inflammation is a major cause of degenerative diseases,  in fact most diseases.

sheila99

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2020, 04:22:11 PM »

No need to buy organic eggs except for ethical reasons, non organic eggs are the same.
Shows the quality of 'experts' though. Not so long ago eggs were so bad we couldn't eat more than one a week...  ;D

Rosie63

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2020, 08:04:56 PM »

Thanks ladies x