Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Weight Gain - bloating - advice on alternative treatment?  (Read 1371 times)

JoC01

Weight Gain - bloating - advice on alternative treatment?
« on: January 10, 2020, 02:45:21 PM »

Hello - I have been on HRT gel for over a year now (estrogel) along with the mirena coil having been fitted nearly 5 years ago. Almost within a month I had put on over 1/2 stone in weight and this now stand at nearly one stone (some of it is Xmas weight though). I eat healthy food, tried 16-8 fasting for 6 months and go to the gym between 4-6 times per week. I have been taking probiotics. The bloated feeling is still daily but the doctor has prescribed my with peppermint capsules to help alleviate these symtons (sometime they work). I have cut back on red meat, gluten and dairy. Blood results show my thyroid is OK and I am waiting for results on my liver function. My question is, has anybody else had similar experiences on the gel and have you found an alternative as I would like to address this with my doctor next week if my liver results are ok. (I think the test looks at my ovaries too) I am contemplating getting my coil taken out and looking at alternative medicine to combat the menopause as I feel that I am going round in circles and trying too many things to get a balance. I do know weight gain is a big thing but it's so frustrating with how dedicated I am with my fitness. Any suggestions would be welcome - thank you x

JoC01

Re: Weight Gain - bloating - advice on alternative treatment?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2020, 05:38:24 PM »

Thank you - I already record my food on MyFitnessPal but never thought of adding a note to say when I felt bloated - I had an intolerance test done a few years back and it did show that I was sensitive to lactose so have cut this out. Thanks for your suggestion - I will act on it x

Kathleen

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2020, 05:50:37 PM »

Hello JoCO1 and welcome to the forum

I wonder if cutting out dairy completely for while will help you. You say that you are sensitive to lactose so maybe even a little milk and cheese is enough to cause a reaction. I gave up dairy years ago and  haven't missed it as I substitute with plant milks, soya yoghurts and vegan cheese.  Hummus and various dips are worth trying as well.

Take care.

K.

Shannonplussed

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2020, 01:57:31 AM »

I'm just starting an alternative treatment for the 40 pounds I rapidly gained. I asked my dr to prescribe metformin off-label for weight loss, and he agreed. I was tiny all my life until menopause. All tests and markers show as normal, other than repeatedly high FSH. So I'm giving metformin a whirl to see if it helps (I just started yesterday so I have nothing to report).

JoC01

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2020, 07:44:40 AM »

Hi - thanks for this - it sounds like I am on a similar journey to what you are going through. I will speak to my Doctor next week.  :)

rulo

• First Flush
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2020, 08:22:10 AM »

Hi JoCO1,
I became wheat intolerant when I hit perimenopause. I can occasionally get away with eating a white roll or white seeded toast, which goes totally against the grain (bad pun) of what is recommended.  If I eat even just one piece of wholemeal bread/toast every day I will pile on weight very easily.
Rulo x

JoC01

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2020, 10:42:06 AM »

So frustrating - does this phase last or is that it?  :'(

Sammiejane

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2020, 11:08:19 AM »

hi

i have been on estrogel only and have gained a stone in a year then it seemed to stabilize .

even though i have now stopped the gel for 5 weeks my weight hasn't changed .

i think all estrogens can have the potential to cause weight gain as i know some women who take patch and have gained weight and others on tablet form but then some who haven't aswell . myself like you have been slim and when i had my hysterectomy i actually lost 1.4 stone then when i started hrt this has pretty much gone back on x

friend of lhasa apso

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2020, 12:22:33 PM »

Hi ,it's difficult to know what to do for best isn't it ? I was bloated before hrt and more bloated with it!
Just trying without it for now as my tummy was huge and I was having a sensation of heart racing on the patches .
    If bloating is due to wind the mint caps are good or something like windeze could be helpful . I think the oestrogen also causes water retention as well so drinking more water can help the body flush it out .
   It's really annoying and uncomfortable though .

Sgtvhilts

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2020, 05:12:50 PM »

HI,
I have probably put on half a stone since starting HRT.  It conincided with me having my gall bladder out, so my appetite returned and bloating disappeared.....with a vengence!!.  I am enjoying eating, but my clothes aren't!.
I am a firm beliver in 'input=output' and i know my input is too high for my non existent output ( I loathe excercise and do none!).  I am not sure excersise ever keeps the weight down, unless it is very high aerobic.
 I have never looked to exclude anything for weight loss, although i do minimse onions for gut rot and bloating purposes.
I was told even as far back as my combined pills days that like it or not Oestrogen will make you put on weight as the fat cells in the body LOVE it.
So i suppose it is cost/benefit thing again.  What it better go without HRT and be thinner, or have HRT with a bit of weight?

JoC01

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2020, 05:50:25 PM »

Hi - I know it looks like there is a trade off price to pay but has anybody come off HRT and looked an alternative therapies to counteract this problem?

Anaise

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2020, 10:26:58 AM »

Hi - I know it looks like there is a trade off price to pay but has anybody come off HRT and looked an alternative therapies to counteract this problem?

Hi, yes I've had to come off Estrogel. Absolutely awful bloating to the point when it stopped me eating. Bloating also caused palpitations. I've been off the Estrogel for over a month now and all the bloating has gone. I'm just taking Ovestin atm and nothing else. Waiting for Intrarosa approval next week and then I shall try that. :)

Sammiejane

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2020, 05:06:33 PM »

hi anaise

how has your hair been after a month off it ?

did you gain any weight on the gel ?

i thought i may of lost the weight i gained but i haven't.

i'm unsure what do now what to take my hair has still been shedding i wouldn't say any worse although i do have days where there isn't any shedding .
u mentioned in another post you were on a different hrt before the gel did you shed hair on that regime ?

i thinking maybe to just try tablet rather then patch n gel x