Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Does the Mirena replace Utrogestan tablets?  (Read 622 times)

Miljea

• First Flush
Does the Mirena replace Utrogestan tablets?
« on: December 30, 2019, 11:17:41 PM »

I was put on Estradot 50 patches, and Utrogestan 100. After a year I got some spotting. GP told me to stop HRT for 6 weeks to see if the bleeding stopped; in the meantime I had a gynae appointment where a TV U/S revealed a small fibroid but a thin uterine wall.

This was a March 18.

I suspect the bleeding was due to insufficient progesterone uptake from the tabs. Anyway, the gynae gave me a Mirena then and there, which was fine. But I could absolutely not get a GP appointment to discuss whether I should just resume my Estradot tabs, but not the Utrogestan.

So I've let it go with no HRT since March 18. It wasn't great at first but did settle to 2 hot flushes a day; however, now, 9 months later, I am a hot, sweaty mess, my sleep is rubbish and I think I need to resume my HRT. No spotting whatsoever in the meantime.

My question is, with a Mirena, can I just stick the patches on?

Or do I HAVE to go back to the GP, bearing in mind it might take me 3-4 months to get a routine appointment with her- and that she will just say- Um, yes?

Tinkerbell

Re: Does the Mirena replace Utrogestan tablets?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2019, 11:25:24 PM »

Yes the Mirena will provide the progesterone needed to protect the womb if you use Estradot patches.

sheila99

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2019, 10:56:57 AM »

Yes, it's safe to start the patches again, but perhaps book the gp appointment anyway so she knows you're back on it.

Tinkerbell

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2019, 01:54:31 PM »

Our surgery offer telephone appointments they are normally more of those.

Miljea

• First Flush
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2020, 03:40:03 PM »

Thanks everyone!