Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Mirena Coil  (Read 1210 times)

Sleepy123

Mirena Coil
« on: December 28, 2019, 01:05:51 PM »

I recently started Sandrena gel and although I'm struggling to sleep I think generally my low mood is starting to improve. I'm hoping to try the patches (when they eventually come back into stock!) as I work shifts and think patches would be more convenient.

My doctor suggested inserting a Mirena coil in a few weeks as the progesterone part. But, I'm really scared because I have always found smear tests exceptionally painful. I have been told I have a high cervix which might be part of the problem?

I was just wondering what other people's experience is of the Mirena coil? I'm also a bit worried about picking up infections from the strings?

After 18 months of feeling rubbish Im finally starting to feel a bit ‘normal' !!  :o

Tinkerbell

Re: Mirena Coil
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2019, 03:04:26 PM »

I have a retroverted uterus so smears have always been a bit more of a struggle, i had a Mirena and was dreading it, it was a bit more than smear but nowhere as bad as i imagined. The GP who did mine was very experienced, so i would ask how many he has done.
Apart from spotting for 4.5 months i have had no side effects and no infections, i have had mine for nearly 4 years now.

Poshpaws

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2019, 05:08:55 PM »

I had one fitted a month ago - didn't feel a thing but it still feels weird now from time to time - feels like the strings are ****ly but they soften eventually I'm told.

Still spotting every day but again that's supposed to settle with time so I'm persevering - got a six week check in a couple of weeks and I'm still waiting for hysterescopy biopsy results

The actual insertion was ok though

Sleepy123

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2019, 07:43:04 PM »

Thank you Tinkerbell and posh paws.
That doesn't sound so bad!
I have heard some gp's give anaesthetic but mine didn't sound too keen!

Tinkerbell

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2019, 08:04:43 PM »

I took two ibuprofen and two paracetamol before i went.

Blue Kingfisher

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2019, 08:49:00 PM »

Hi Sleepy123, I'm also going to try the Mirena coil & also worried about the fitting, possible infections & having a bad reaction....

I'm pretty decided in taking the plunge though & following Tinkerbell's advice on taking ibruprofen & paracetamol before the appointment! I need to time the insertion of mine when I know it's going to be a bit quieter at work because taking time off (due to a bad reaction!) will REALLY stress me out if I'm up against deadlines & under pressure at the same time! Gotta love the old hormones! 😬. Let us know how you get on! xx

Orangefoot

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2019, 10:25:25 PM »

Hi Sleepy

How old are you? I only ask because fitting IUS like Mirena or Jaydess seems more tricky the older we get. I'm 46 and had a Jaydess (less progesterone than Mirena) fitted last year. This was my fifth IUD (three copper and two hormonal) and way more tricky and painful than had been any time previously. Definitely have someone drive you home.

On the positive, I've never had infections, no problems. The Mirena made me feel awful but I think I was perimenopausal at the time and my estrogen was low and adding more prog to my body was awful. The Jaydess is great now that I have estrogen patches and after six months or so I now have just a very light monthly-ish bleed.

Tinkerbell

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2019, 11:14:28 PM »

I was 53 when i had my Mirena fitted, keeping fingers crossed that it is still possible to have one fitted when it needs replacing, i drove myself home and went to Supermarket on way back, but just a small shop!

AndieM

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2019, 06:52:17 AM »

Hi... I had my Mirena fitted 10 weeks ago.
I have a tilted cervix and warned the doctors that I had problems having a smear done in the past, took ibuprofen and paracetamol beforehand. It took less than 10 minutes to fit and was pleasantly surprised as wasn't that uncomfortable.
Had a few cramps, walked home from the surgery and was absolutely fine.
The only issue I have now is that I've had 3 periods since having it fitted and I've been spotting/ bleeding every day, hoping this will settle down soon.

Poshpaws

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2019, 03:13:23 PM »

I'm 52 and this is my first coil - I've also had the spotting for four weeks but my doctor said that was very common and to persevere - hopefully it will settle

I also took two paracetamols and two ibuprofen forty minutes before as they were taking biopsies too at the same time -

So I would definitely take the painkillers :) I didn't feel a thing

I took two days off work for this but could have worked the following day if I'd had too

Good luck and let us know how you get on if you decide to go for it

I had been bleeding heavily since October so for me the spotting is easier to manage - just waiting for the biopsies is doing my head in - it's been over four weeks now!

Sleepy123

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2019, 07:01:15 PM »

Thank you everyone for taking the time to reply. These comments have eased my fears a bit.

It sounds like paracetamol and ibuprofen is the way to go! I wasn't sure if I would be allowed to take anything because when I saw the gyno he couldn't see very much and said it was ‘cloudy' probably due to the ibuprofen I had taken beforehand.

I know what you mean about taking time off work! I will definitely need to book a few days off. I have already been warned about taking time off work for sickness, and it's so frustrating when employers think you are ‘depressed' or whatever!
I have been taking sandrina gel for about a week and am already starting to feel ‘a bit normal' !!

I'm 47, and have decided to try Mirena once the sandrina gel has settled down a bit. Still getting the occasional flush and sleep pattern a bit all over the place, but generally starting to feel like a human being again!  ;D