Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Newbie here, struggling with perimenopause  (Read 1316 times)

Pickynic

• First Flush
Newbie here, struggling with perimenopause
« on: December 10, 2019, 09:35:52 AM »

Hi!

I found this forum about 3am this morning when I was unable to sleep & having a bit of a meltdown.
I'm 46 and have been dealing with perimenopause for about 4 years now.

I initially went to my gp for blood tests because of night sweats & skin problems. He told me my results were "unflattering" before explaining I was perimenopausal! :o

The night sweats aren't too bad nowadays, but the other issues are awful. The worst being anxiety with chest pain and heart palpatations. I've had ecg's, chest xrays, stress test and the 48hr ecg, which were all clear.

But on nights like last night, when I have horrible chest pains on & off all night, I end up thinking I'm going to die.

My mood swings are awful too, I basically spent the weekend in tears and have gone from being a confident person, to someone with crippling anxiety. I feel like I'm in a constant state of fear and panic.

I'm so bloody sick of it. So I'm hoping I've found somewhere where I might get reassurance and at least other people will understand. :)

And any advice on stuff that might help will be gratefully recieved!!!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Newbie here, struggling with perimenopause
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2019, 03:48:03 PM »

Did your GP not suggest HRT?  Early symptoms often benefit from HRT to protect heart and bones.  Daisy web-site might be worth a browse too.

Some find keeping a mood/food/symptom diary of use. It shows us that not every day is awful ;-).  How R your periods on the whole? 

As oestrogen levels drop off so the body may become dry: inside and out - skin, eyes, deep in the ears, vagina ...... and muscles may become lax = aches and pains.  Do browse and make notes ;-).

Try to relax.  These symptoms haven't killed you nor cause you to phone for paramedics.  Do you have indigestion rather than 'chest' pain?

Let us know how you get on.

Kathleen

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2019, 05:42:49 PM »

Hello Pickynic and welcome to the forum

I agree with Jaypo, it's all par for the course I'm afraid.  Many of us here have experienced exactly your symptoms and more so you are definitely normal for the menopause.

Hopefully one of the expert ladies will be along to advise you but hang in there because you are not alone.

Wishing you well and keep posting.

K.

sheila99

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2019, 06:08:40 PM »

Another one here. Anxiety and insomnia sorted by HRT but it took 3 months.

Pickynic

• First Flush
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2019, 04:58:23 PM »

Thanks everyone for the replies, it's so reassuring to know others have experienced the same thing!

My periods are still pretty regular most of the time, though much heavier and last longer than they used to. Because of that my GP said HRT wasnt an option.

I've never really discussed it with him again as I'm a bit nervous of HRT anyway. But my hormones are now having such a huge impact on my life that I'd definitely consider it if it was suitable.

Pickynic

• First Flush
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2019, 05:01:33 PM »

Another one here. Anxiety and insomnia sorted by HRT but it took 3 months.

Really? That gives me some hope that I may not need to keep putting up with these symptoms!
Can I ask what type of HRT you take? I've only just started reading up on it and its confusing :o

sheila99

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2019, 06:01:00 PM »

Oestrogel and Utrogestan. I started on evorel sequi which was OK too but after 6 week I started getting a rash so had to change. Transdermal is safer than oral but until you try you won't know which will suit you and which won't. Perhaps read up on symptoms and go back to your gp. The 'advice for husbands' pinned post is a good place to start, you may other symptoms you hadn't associated with peri.  Take the NICE guidelines that say that hrt is the appropriate treatment for peri. Like you I felt awful but you don't have to put up with it.