Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Alternatives to estradot  (Read 1618 times)

applejack

Alternatives to estradot
« on: December 08, 2019, 01:47:54 PM »

Hi

been prescribed generic estradiol instead of estradot to make sure I can get at least SOMETHING from the chemist.  Boots have dispensed progynova.  Has anyone used this?

I assume it's exactly the same as estradot and I have to take my  daily utrogestan etc?  Looks like it's 100% oestrogen so I would assume so.

bear

Re: Alternatives to estradot
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2019, 04:25:49 PM »

Hi applejack,

There are Progynova patches (Progynova TS) and tablets. I assume you have been given the patches? Yes, the patches are 100% estradiol in the form of estradiol hemihydrate. I haven't used it but if you type Progynova in the search box you will find some info.

BeaR.

applejack

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2019, 10:15:03 AM »

Yes, patches, thank you.

Looking at the info, and on the packets I've got, it says to apply once a week.

My pharmacist has said to apply twice a week.  I queried this and she said no, twice.  I don't think she's right.

Has anyone else got progynova patches and if so, do you apply one a week or two?

I may end up having to phone the doctor as this is just confusing.

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2019, 01:02:23 PM »

Yes this is indeed a once per week patch - this is what it has been designed for like Femseven patches. Unless there is a specific reason why your doc has said twice per week ( I suggest either insufficient knowledge of all the different types  because most are changed twice per week so s/he put this on the prescription ie estradiol patches change twice weekly?) I would just change once per week. However if you have been given enough patches for twice per week then you've probably hit the jackpot as you will have been give more patches.  it would be a bit of a waste to change them more frequently than designed but if you have been given plenty you could compromise eg and change every 5-6 days - if they stick well? At least you may have plenty if they don't!

Hurdity x

Raztac10

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2020, 03:59:27 PM »

I have also been prescribed Progynova 50 patches and told to change twice weekly.

I had Evorel Sequi until last week and have now changed to Mirena coil and these patches as they were the only ones available. There was a bit of tooing and froing because of patches being unavailable so now I'm not sure who is right with frequency of changing!

I have an appointment to speak to someone but it's not till next week. Anyone got any advice please?

Hurdity

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2020, 08:43:21 AM »

Hi Raztac10

Not sure what you mean  by "not sure who is right"? My last post says it as it is. No reason to change twice weekly - you would be wasting some of the patch. Here is the prescribing info: https://www.medicines.org.uk/emc/product/1617/smpc

"The patches should be applied once weekly on a continuous basis, each used patch being removed after 7 days and a fresh patch applied to a different site."

No need to worry about speaking to anyone about this - just apply them as the leaflet says but you will have enough to replace them if they come unstuck after 5 or 6 days. Good luck! :)

Hurdity x

Sammiejane

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2020, 02:30:04 PM »

hi

yes i agree with hirdity once a week when i rang my chemist to ask which patches they could get they explained that GP were changing everyone over to these patches and is to be applied once a week unless due to the dose you were on previously they maybe saying twice a week x

i would start once a week and see how u go on them u can always increase please keep me posted on how u go with them. x