Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Conti HRT  (Read 939 times)

Jube

Conti HRT
« on: November 14, 2019, 05:05:27 PM »

I'm 54 and been on sequential hrt since I was 50 and perimenopausal. (FSH blood tests in the past have been 70 and 45 but I know they're unreliable.) Do you think I can assume I'm post menopause now and ask for continuous HRT as I'm fed up with monthly bleeding.
If you're on HRT  is they're any way of knowing when you're post?

Dotty

Re: Conti HRT
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2019, 05:38:12 PM »

Hi yes I think the guidance is that you can go onto a continuous regime after a year of being on sequi. X

Taz2

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2019, 06:41:28 PM »

You can usually swap to conti from the age of 53/54.

Taz x

KiltedCupid

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2019, 08:34:31 PM »

Hi Jube - the link below is from the links on the forum at the top of the home page. You probably are now post menopause and safe to try a conti regime. If you're not quite post meno on a conti hrt, you'd get unscheduled bleeding and that's an indication that it's not suitable. Having said that, you might get bleeding or spotting anyway switching to a conti method and that's normal when trying a new method. You also might not get spotting!  Soooo.. clear as mud, but the upshot is there's not really an accurate way to know where you are unless you stop hrt and wait and see if a period happens as blood tests aren't terribly accurate. Why not give it a go and see how you get on? What were your periods doing before hrt?

https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/pdf/What%20is%20the%20Menopause%202019.pdf

KatieLiz

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2019, 09:05:55 PM »

Hi Jube

I decided this year to change to conti at the ripe old age of 58 after taking sequi since about 51 years old.

I took Femoston sequi 1mg and 2mg up and down over the years but felt ok and ready to change over this year as I thought I must be post menopause.  On sequi I had the usual 5-6 day bleed and an odd feint couple of days as well.

I thought my gp would give me Femoston conti but she offered me Estrogel and Utrogestin - I thought I would give it a try as this seems the popular choice at the moment but all I did was bleed every 2 weeks for 10-14 days!

I then asked for Femoston conti and she gave me ultra low dose and I started getting flushes and bleeding - I asked for the 1mg conti and flushes stopped but bleeding continued every 2-3 weeks!

I then asked for Indivina 2mg/5mg conti and have been taking this for nearly 3 months and initially had bleeding again but feint and now has stopped.

Just be prepared that thinking you are changing to no bleed HRT you may end up bleeding more - I think this is why some women just carry on with sequi?

I like the combination I'm on now as it is the only conti tabs to give you 2mg estrogen but still only 5mg progesterone.

I know withdrawal of progesterone is supposed to bring on a bleed but I find taking progesterone makes me bleed after about 9 days - I always had a bleed on the prog tabs of sequi.

Now I'm taking a higher ratio of estrogen to progesterone my bleeding has stopped.

I know everyone is different but I was surprised at the level of bleeding I had considering conti is supposed to be no bleed!

Good luck

Katieliz x

Jube

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2019, 09:44:41 PM »

Bump

Hurdity

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2019, 05:21:27 PM »

Hi Jube how are you? Are the same Jube from way way back?!

Wondered why you bumped the thread but just thought I'd say hi in case it was you!

However just to say also in answer to your question - there is no way of knowing whether you are post-menopause once you are taking HRT, apart from stopping HRT for 12 months and if you don't get a period all this time then you are!! What kind of sequi HRT are you on and can you change easily to a conti version of the same one at the same dose?

Hurdity x