Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Progesterone issues...  (Read 3541 times)

Ladybt28

Re: Progesterone issues...
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2019, 01:51:00 PM »

Yes you can use the oral caps vaginally just push them up as far as you can go.  I don't have to do it, because I use 4 pumps of oestrogel everyday but I have read that some women up their oestrogen during the progesterone phase.  I would say that dropping oestrogen rather than upping can make the progesterone phase worse in some ladies.

Graciemouse

« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2019, 03:32:54 PM »

I've been on Utrogestan for a week now so early days but so far, so good. I had been on Oestrogel for a few weeks prior to starting the Utro and only use 1 - 1.5 pumps a day.

The regime I've been given is 100mg every day and so far it's working well. My flushes and night sweats had totally stopped a day or so prior to starting the Utro so I know the gel is working at that amount - and since starting the Utro - I'm sleeping MUCH better. I've had a few nights of about 6 hours solid sleep which is a million times better than even a week or so ago. I could literally cry - I'm so happy about that. I'd forgotten what sleep was.

I'm drinking loads of water to flush out any water retention and I've not any reactions to the Utro like headaches etc. I'm soooo hoping I've got it right finally. IF ANYTHING my temperature has returned to what it should be for this time of year and for the first time in years (honestly!) I've been putting a thermal vest on or a wooly jumper.

I'm feeling great actually!!!  :) By the way. I was told by my Dr weeks ago that Utrogestan wasn't available which when I asked the consultant she said that's not true. Fortunately she's written a letter to the Dr saying that Utrogestan is "now Green on the Buckinghamshire Formulary" so please would they continue with my presciption. I'm so pleased she wrote that in my letter otherwise I might have issues next time I want some more.

KiltedCupid....Is there any way to message you privately as you're obviously new to Utro too and I'm interested to hear about your alternate day regime? (especially as you dont take much O, like me) Thanks x

KiltedCupid

« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2019, 07:57:56 PM »

Graciemouse - you can send me a pm on here, I think you just click on my name and then send message.

AJacynM

« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2019, 12:11:39 AM »

Graciemouse it's really good to hear a success story... hoping I can get it right soon too! Glad you're feeling so great.. hope it continues now.

Kiltedcupid, thank you for your advice... hope you don't mind me asking but do you use Utrogestan alternate days continually or just for a set time? Also is it a 200mg pessary you use or 100mg capsule vaginally?
I'm trying to work out the best regime... I really think the testosterone gel may help me too so looking into this.
Thanks again. x

KiltedCupid

« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2019, 12:23:33 AM »

AJacynM - no probs at all with asking, that's what we're here for - to share our experiences. I use my Utro every 2nd day, vaginally on a conti basis, 100 capsule, but I'm 57 and well post meno. I've just increased my Sandrena gel to 1mg which is roughly equivalent to a 50 patch and I use a small blob of testim gel 2/3 times a week. I'm doing really well on this and really surprised I can tolerate the Utro as it used to make me very depressed, bloated, tired etc etc. You know the deal.

Hurdity

« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2019, 09:04:40 AM »

Hi AJacynM - thing is if you are peri-menopausal still then a cycle is the recommended regime otherwise you can get random bleeding at odd times - although the fact that you haven't so far indicates maybe you are getting near menopause or beyond it? Also how are you feeling generally on that dose of oestrogen? That is a standard medium dose of oestrogen for post-menopause but at your young age I would want to make sure I had more than this.  In your position i would actually push for estradiol blood tests if you can - even though they are not accurate ( aim for half-way through the patch time eg on the second day or something) - it might give an indication of how well you absorb the oestrogen from them. If you are peri-menopausal though it won't show anything really - just if you are post-meno you want to make sure your oestrogen levels are at least 200 pmol/l to be over the amount recommended for best protection against osteoporosis.

If you doc has approved 7 day progesterone through writing to a consultant then that's brilliant but you should also ask if they are prepared to givre you asn ultra-sound scan ag annually to check that the prog is doing its job. Again if you are still peri and ovulating fairly rregaulraly then your own progesterone will be helping to do the job but if you are very late peri or post-meno you just want to keep an eye on this - and the fact that they've agreed to 7 days - less than the licensed amount - means they should allow and recommend this ( scan).

Hurdity x

AJacynM

« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2019, 11:13:55 PM »

Thanks so much Hurdity... the info you've all given me is invaluable...
Like I said, I didn't have a period for just over 11 months when I started HRT, my docs said when a person doesn't have a period for a year they are classed as in full menopause... but still put me on a sequential regime because of my age. I don't have any breakthrough bleeding at all during the month but do get a bleed after 7 days on stopping the progesterone and when I skipped a month once (no progesterone) I didn't have a period so I think I'm defo not peri anymore?
I don't feel great at all anymore, I'm not sure how I'd feel if I came off all HRT though? I do think the oestrogen helps with the aches but my mood is generally a bit low these days although I try not to show it, but I have a huge lack of energy and really feel exhausted most of the time. The hot flushes have stopped too on HRT so that's a plus!
I will push for blood work and try to determine the results of where I go from here as I feel much more informed now because of this forum. I will also mention annual scans. Thank you again.

Kiltedcupid - thanks to you too for your info... I'm defo going to look into the testosterone. Did you ever use patches and if so do you find the Sandrena a better option?

Thank youuuuu!!! I promise I'll stop asking questions soon and go to the docs armed with all I know and want to say!  :)

xx

KiltedCupid

« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2019, 11:54:33 PM »

AJacynM - I have used patches and I got on really well with Fem7 conti but unfortunately they're not available at the moment. I tried various different patches and preferred that brand. Some women prefer one brand over another and some don't notice any difference between them - it's just trial and error, I'm afraid. I personally prefer the gel as it's a daily dose and I really don't like having a patch stuck to me as I'm always aware of it. Hope that helps and good luck at the doc.

Hurdity

« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2019, 08:20:08 AM »

Ah yes I forgot you said that. Re no period for 11 months. You may well be post-meno then and your lack of bleeding at other times bears this out. If you are not yet feeling well even though flushes have stopped then sounds like and increase in dose would be good. That being the case though off-licence alt day Utro probably wouldn't be sufficient as only for low or medium doses oestrogen ( depending on absorption). Personally in your position I would stay with a cycle, increase the oestrogen dose, especially if your doc has permitted a shorter duration - as long as its monitored. You might find that continuous prog continues to dampen your mood - it has a sedative effect - though a few women thrive on it even with higher oestrogen doses!  I would get your oestrogen dose up and see how you feel and the explore testosterone which may well also be contributing. The sign that this is low is lack of libido and especially response, although other things can depress this eg some ADs.

re changing from patch to Sandrean - I tried this for a short while and didn;t get on with it. Not to say you won't - my flushes came back on the supposed equivalent dose to patches - although it wasn;t the same amount of gel as with estrogel which was 1.5 mg ( with Sandrena it was given as 1 mg - maybe because it is more concentrated). personally I would try a higher dose patch rather than change at this point especially if it has worked on flushes and sweats - which shows that you're absorbing it!

In haste (apols for typos) and good luck!

Hurdity x
Pages: 1 [2]