Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Bone & Joint Pain  (Read 983 times)

RedKite08

Bone & Joint Pain
« on: November 01, 2019, 09:24:49 PM »

Hi, I wondered if anyone else is suffering with bone and joint pain with the menopause?

I'm  51 and for the last 2 or 3 months I've been suffering with increasing bone and joint pain. I've been taking Nurofen most days and I've seen my GP twice.  Blood tests have shown lower than ideal vitamin D levels and raised inflammatory markers, but my GP (female) believes the issue is due to menopause.

This is really getting me down as it's painful and affecting my sleep; I feel low and tired all the time.

Any advice or insight would be really welcome.

Thanks in advance.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Bone & Joint Pain
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2019, 10:48:07 PM »

As oestrogen levels drop the muscles may become lax = aches and pains.  Have you tried over the counter pain relief?

Also the skin may become dry: inside and out. Do read the threads on vaginal atrophy  :o make notes ;-)

sheila99

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2019, 10:56:00 PM »

It would be worth trying hrt but I'm not convinced there isn't something else going on. I had pain in my hips only, down the outside rather than within the joint. That went with hrt (took some weeks). It wasn't bad enough to take pain killers or keep me awake. As you feel low and tired it sounds to me that you would benefit from hrt anyway.

dahliagirl

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2019, 12:19:05 AM »

Definitely worth getting some vitD - when it is low, it makes you tired and lack energy to do anything - and it is only the beginning of winter - we cannot make it in the sun over winter.

HRT helps too.

Taz2

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2019, 12:50:39 AM »

Low VitD gives you horrible joint pain. Try a D3 supplement and see if that makes a difference. It doesn't affect inflammatory markers as far as I am aware though so I would also insist on a referral to a rheumatologist.

Taz x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2019, 10:05:01 AM »

Mine and Mum's signs of low VitD levels were that we felt very tired.  I would do 20 mins weeding then have to sit for 2 hours, without moving, simply hadn't the energy.  GP prescribed capsules which really helped.  I didn't have joint pain.

I do suffer with deep pain in the thighs.  This is due to bending over cabinets at antique fairs, it wakes me in the night and is so painful that I can't even yelp.  It took months to find out way but that is probably postural.  Now that I am aware I take more time in between searching ........