Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Gut Microbiome and Oestrogen Levels.  (Read 782 times)

Kathleen

Gut Microbiome and Oestrogen Levels.
« on: November 01, 2019, 08:45:42 PM »

Hello Ladies.

I've just seen something on a science site that may be of interest to some of you.

The subject was breast cancer and chronically elevated levels of Oestrogen. It seems that certain gut bacteria produce an enzyme called beta-glucufonidase which can uncouple excess Oestrogen from waste material in the gut so instead of it being excreted in faeces it is re absorbed into the blood stream leading to chronically high levels of oestrogen. Apparently there is a stool test that can detect the presence of the bacteria. I  wonder if it would be possible to alter the diet to reduce the prevelance of the problem bacteria thereby reducing the action of the enzyme resulting in better Oestrogen level control?

I saw this on the YouTube channel of the Mark Hyman MD, an American doctor who was interviewing another doctor and there is another longer video which I haven't had the chance to watch as yet.

Perhaps in the future dietary changes may be a way of balancing our hormones and that can only be a good thing.

Wishing everyone well.

K.

dangermouse

Re: Gut Microbiome and Oestrogen Levels.
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2019, 10:51:40 AM »

This may explain why caprylic acid is making me feel a lot better.

Always had gut/Candida issues which got worse in peri.

Kathleen

Re: Gut Microbiome and Oestrogen Levels.
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2019, 07:16:36 PM »

Hello Dangermouse.

I'm afraid I don't know what caprylic acid is but I do know that a Candida infection can make you feel unwell.

Now that scientists have woken up to the existence of the gut microbiome  we're likely to see more studies about how we can alter it with diet. We already know that hormones like Seratonin are made in the gut so perhaps in the future we will be able to increase it by using food?

Wishing you well.

K.