Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Not looking forward to winter  (Read 6534 times)

Tinkerbell

Re: Not looking forward to winter
« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2019, 12:13:37 PM »

I love autumn and winter, i hate the summer, don't do heat, in my eyes the only good thing about it is i can hang washing out instead of throwing it in dryer....shall i run and hide from you summer lovers ;D

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #31 on: October 29, 2019, 12:39:23 PM »

;D

I HATE really hot weather, it drains me.  At least there is plenty of sport to watch on TV during our Summer ;-)

Chilly this morning but as I like it: Autumn colours - tick.  Blue sky - tick. Calm air - tick.

Mary G

« Reply #32 on: October 29, 2019, 02:35:41 PM »

Re Brexit (and it's looking like a hard Brexit) and freedom of movement, it's important that people are aware that things are going to change.

As EU members, UK nationals can spend up to 183 days per year in another EU state without being required to become tax resident although this is not strictly enforced.

Post Brexit, this will change because the UK will no longer have freedom of movement and UK nationals will only be able to spend 90 days in the Schengen zone in a six month period.  Unlike the current situation, passports will probably be zapped post Brexit so there will be a record of how long you have been in the Schengen zone.

These are the rules for third country nationals as things stand at the moment.   The UK may be able to negotiate a degree of flexibility but I wouldn't be too hopeful given outline of the withdrawal agreement and the political declaration.

To get an idea of what you will be up against post Brexit, check out the rules for Australian, US and Canadian nationals.

« Last Edit: October 29, 2019, 02:45:26 PM by Mary G »

Perinowpost

« Reply #33 on: October 29, 2019, 03:43:27 PM »

Really good post Mary G, and really informative. Hubby and I are watching Brexit with interest for precisely this reason, what it means for freedom of movement. It's very difficult to know when's the best time to move as it's all so changeable x

Sparrow

« Reply #34 on: October 29, 2019, 03:50:30 PM »

A friend of my husband and his wife, have a house in the south of France.  They go several times a year for a few weeks at a time.  Apparently the local estate agent told him that the amount of property bought by Brits has sky rocketed.  Looks like people are leaving before the door shuts.

Hurdity

« Reply #35 on: October 29, 2019, 06:05:16 PM »

Well my favourite season is late spring - May actually - when the spring flowers are well established and the leaves on the trees are peeping out from their winter hibernation. Such a promise of long days and warm evenings ahead - always full of hope! I just love the summer too with lots of warm sunshine, gardening, flowers and vegetables burgeoning, being able to go about in vests and short shorts getting my vit D, festivals, BBQs, holidays and the sea.

However....I also love the autumn - the beautful changing colours and the wild winds, apples, preserving and cooking things I've grown and snuggling up in front of warm fires watching good dramas on TV, keeping warm, bringing out scarves and gloves and generally looking forward to C'mas with family returning and all that entails. I find the worst month is January as it then seems a long way until warmth but at least there is sometimes snow (not often in SW England) which is great fun, and the days are getting longer. February can be worse ( cold grey and bleak) but then not long until spring and anyway the snowdrops and daffs are out and I can start sowing my tomato seeds.

What I'm saying is - Focus - try to find something to look forward to every season, every month, every week, every day - and yes peri-menopause and all its horrible effects can try to bring us down - but don't let it and see how positive you can be every single day - just one thing each winter day - even if it is counting down the days until the solstice - the turning of the year when the days start to lengthen again. :)

Hurdity x

CLKD

« Reply #36 on: October 29, 2019, 06:30:13 PM »

I LOVE January cos C.mas is over  ;D

Feb/March my favs. probably said already.

Focus

« Reply #37 on: October 29, 2019, 07:54:48 PM »

Thank you Hurdity x

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #38 on: October 29, 2019, 08:09:09 PM »

I wonder who began that little rumour ;-).  Why would any Country want to limit visitors who bring in monies  ::)

They won't CLKD. It's just scaremongering.  ;) ;)

CLKD

« Reply #39 on: October 29, 2019, 08:14:17 PM »

I don't travel outside of the Island  ;D ......... we did lots of driving in Winter weather when we were students  ::) and didn't think twice.  Now I'm more cautious ......

Perinowpost

« Reply #40 on: October 29, 2019, 09:18:56 PM »

My favourite time of year is Spring too, (all those new beginnings) closely followed by Summer.  It's never too hot for me. It is too cold though in January and February, in fact I think I may suffer from a bit of SAD as that's when I always want to leave the country X

CLKD

« Reply #41 on: October 30, 2019, 07:34:42 AM »

Blue sky and frosty this morning  :-*

Dierdre

« Reply #42 on: October 30, 2019, 08:28:38 AM »

Where did you get the heated socks from, they sound a brilliant idea but can you actually walk in them?

Sparrow

« Reply #43 on: October 30, 2019, 10:28:13 AM »

Just about to go chestnuting in our local woods.

Love the Autumn.  :yes:

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #44 on: October 31, 2019, 01:51:55 PM »

I knit socks  for all of us and have done for years. They are better than any shop bought socks and the self patterning wool is stunning.  You can make them to fit your feet exactly unlike shop bought socks which ruck up or are too tight. They wash beautifully in the machine, they don't make your feet sweat or smell and they look great too.  I wear them under boots and my feet are never cold.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4