Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Mirena withdrawal symptoms  (Read 4504 times)

ann58

Mirena withdrawal symptoms
« on: October 25, 2019, 09:35:52 AM »

I'm considering coming off hrt due to my TIA/mini stroke. I need to stop the oestrogen first then have the mirena coil removed. Post menopause am I likely to get the mirena crash that many talk about? Not sure I can cope with that along with the TIA symptoms.

Perinowpost

Re: Mirena withdrawal symptoms
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2019, 09:47:39 AM »

I think you're more likely to get a crash from stopping the oestrogen. I felt marvellous within 2 days of my mirena removal as it's effects left my system x

ann58

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2019, 09:55:15 AM »

Thank you. I decided rather than stop the oestrogen straight away that I will do it gradually. I'm down to 25mcg.

Perinowpost

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2019, 09:59:15 AM »

Hi ann58

I feel you may have less side effects if you tail your oestrogen off to coincide with having your mirena removed. That way you're not left with progesterone only x

ann58

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2019, 10:19:28 AM »

That's what I was thinking. When I was just told to stop the patch I panicked. I think even though I had a TIA that the risk of low dose oestrogen whilst taking blood thinning medication would be very low. I'll ask my gyneacologist to remove the coil at my next appointment in 3 weeks and stop the oestrogen completely at the same time.

Dollydream

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2019, 11:28:33 AM »

Hello Ann
Sorry to hear about your health problems.  I have been on the 2 pumps oestrogel/mirena for almost 3 years but had spotting throughout.  Almost a month ago I started bleeding so I made the decision to stop the oestrogel cold turkey and the mirena was removed during a hysteroscopy early this week, which was done to find out the cause of the bleeding - nothing abnormal was found thankfully.  Stopping the oestrogel made me feel light headed and more anxious for about 2 weeks but I got through it and feel better - hot flushes haven't returned.  The mirena has only been out for a matter of days and the only difference is that I've not slept very well since it's removal.  I haven't felt a crash to be honest but it may be to come, the oestrogen withdrawal was worse.
Dolly x

ann58

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2019, 11:52:27 AM »

Thank you for your reply Dollydream. I'm struggling with the symptoms of the TIA and now having the added worry of hrt withdrawal. I'm pleased to know your experience of it hasn't been too bad so far.

KiltedCupid

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2019, 07:52:14 PM »

Hi Ann - the only issue I had after Mirena removal was a very heavy bleed. I felt much better as the prog didn't suit although I stayed on oestrogen and it was high dose. You might get a bleed so don't be surprised it's just prog withdrawal.

ann58

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2019, 01:28:42 PM »

Thank you, I'll be prepared for that.

Spangles

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2019, 12:21:13 PM »

Hi,
I don't have a coil but I'm trying to stop HRT too. I've not had progesterone since August and no bleed since July. To be honest I felt a lot better than I had in a long time. However, I've reduced my oestrogen patch from 50 to 25 and I m not feeling to great. Hopeful I can ride it out and then reduce it to nothing, but only time will tell.
Good luck with it all.
Spangles
xXx

ann58

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2019, 08:26:31 AM »

I'm thinking that in a few weeks if I cut the 25 in half so it is even more gradual.

Hurdity

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2019, 07:32:51 PM »

I'm considering coming off hrt due to my TIA/mini stroke. I need to stop the oestrogen first then have the mirena coil removed. Post menopause am I likely to get the mirena crash that many talk about? Not sure I can cope with that along with the TIA symptoms.

Hi ann58

Sorry to hear about yout TIA/mini stroke. Did you get told any reason the docs suspected this happened? Did the docs also say you should stop HRT? As far as I understand it is oral HRT that can lead to a higher clot/stroke risk rather than the transdermal preparation you are taking. There are other risk factors as I'm sure you know and have been told - ie being overweight - higher than the normal BMI range, a smoker, certain diets, high cholesterol, lack of exercise etc. I don't want to pry if you don't want to share but if any of these apply to you maybe these could account for your TIA, or maybe you have a medical condition predispoing towards this or genetic factors?

I am sure you have been through all of this but it may be that you can continue safely with a low dose oestrogen patch and especially if you minimise any other risk factors?

Re the Mirena withdrawal. What you will feel depends a lot on your age/menopausal stage, how long you've had this one in place and the reasons for having it! eg if you are post-menopause and having it for HRT and haven't had any bleeding and it's been in 3 years or so - there is no reason why you should have a withdrawal bleed. This is more likely to occur during peri-menopause ( as the Mirena stops periods eventually), or if you have eg fibroids ( which have shrunk or been prevented from bleeding by the Mirena), or if your endometrium ( womb lining) has not stabilised on the oestrogen dose you are taking so that you have bits of lining build up. However in this case you would normally have experienced spotting. Maybe you don't know quite where you are in which case - yes as said - as well to be prepared!

As for the "Mirena crash" - any form of progesterone withdrawal can cause pms type symptoms in some women and sometimes it can take some while for the prog to leave the system in the sense of reversing the changes caused by the Mirena - so whatever happens expect some pms for a few days or so at least. These will go though! The newer the Mirena is the more progestogen it gives out and therefore the bigger the withdrawal potentially...

I agree with Perinowpost - try to reduce oestrogen to coincide with Mirena removal if you can.

Good luck :)

Hurdity x

ann58

« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2019, 09:08:12 AM »

Thank you Hurdity,
I weigh 9 stone, I have never smoked, I don't drink alcohol. I have quite a healthy diet (I stick to the FODMAP diet due to ibs).
I exercise by walking but admit maybe I should do more. I have also been under a lot of stress this year.
I have my second mirena for hrt and have had one for hrt total of 6 years.
I spoke to my gyneacologist and he checked with a colleague in haemotology who said if it was her she would come off the hrt even though it is a low dose patch.
I do have a fibroid but because I am quite a few years post meno my gyneacologist doesn't think it will cause me any problems.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2019, 09:19:44 AM by ann58 »

Hurdity

« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2019, 02:50:44 PM »

Thanks for the info ann58 - sounds like it wasn't a definitive answer as to coming off HRT?

I presume you're doing the low FODMAP rather than FODMAP? It was suggested that I did this after first trying gluten free - the latter which seems to have improved my symptoms no end. I looked up the high FODMAP foods and it seemed so illogical that I couldn't bear the thought of doing it (the low FODMAP) so I'm glad I am improved without it! There are so many foods that you can't have that I normally eat!!

Anyway if you've decided to go for it re stopping HRT and are happy with your decision then all the best and hope the withdrawal goes smoothly without too much of a crash. :)

Hurdity x

ann58

« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2019, 04:18:07 PM »

Yes low FODMAP My doctor recommended it for my bowel problems.

If life becomes too horrendous coming off hrt I may have to rethink but I will give it a try.
Pages: [1] 2