Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Symptoms have returned!  (Read 793 times)

Sunlover

Symptoms have returned!
« on: October 17, 2019, 04:10:13 PM »

Hello ladies, has anyone had their menopause symptoms return after thinking you were through the worst? I'm 55 and 6 years post menopause and at the end of last year I thought I could see a light at the end of the tunnel. However over the last 4 months or so, many symptoms have returned. The worst of these are the palpitations, brain fog and anxiety. Due to family history I've been advised against HRT and I only use vagifem but I feel so rubbish I'm thinking of asking GP for a prescription. Has anyone else experienced this? Thanks in advance

jillydoll

• Hiya
Re: Symptoms have returned!
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2019, 07:22:27 PM »

Hi Sunlover....... :welcomemm:

Thing is, we still make oestrogen even though we've not had any periods, and are post meno, albeit in small amounts, and any fluctuations can trigger symptoms....I'm not an expert and hopefully someone will post soon to you. I just wanted to welcome you and say hang on in there...xx

Sunlover

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2019, 06:15:37 AM »

Thanks for your reply. Just another one of the joys of the menopause I guess!  :-\

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2019, 07:54:09 AM »

Hi Sunlover

:welcomemm:

After 6 years without periods your oestrogen levels should well and truly have hit their lowest point and stabilised. They fall dramatically in the first two years following last period and then stay at on average the same low level - although I gather there can be some ovarian activity for a few years following which can give some slight variations. I doubt this would be happening in your case though so long after menopause and at your age although for some women the long term effects of oestrogen deficiency only begin to be apparent 2 or 3 years after menopause and in your case if you've had symptoms until recently it seems they can come and go for years. That being the case I would consult your doc about the palpitations etc.

Sorry to hear you cannot take HRT - hopefully the information you were given about this is correct - there are very few contra-indications, which are listed here:  https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/contraindications.php  A family history of breast cacner does not necessarily rule out HRT especially if the relative did not contract the condition at a young age. There is information and guidance on this available if you need it. If you cannot take hRT and your symptoms do persist to the extent they are affecting quality of life there are prescribed medications which can help and I can post the info if you want ( I think there is a whole post on it somewhere...).

Yes the joys...!

Hurdity x

Sunlover

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2019, 09:19:46 AM »

Thanks Hurdity, I really appreciate your response. It's some time since I was told I couldn't take hrt. I had an ecg to check the palpitations but I didn't discuss any other treatments so time for another visit to the GP I think!
This forum is  great, so glad I've found it. Thanks  again! ;)