Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Vagifem not being absorbed - alternatives  (Read 2761 times)

shrosphirelass

Vagifem not being absorbed - alternatives
« on: October 04, 2019, 07:28:46 PM »

I keep finding bits of vagifem on the bathroom floor. So it can't be doing its job. Has anyone experienced this or have any ideas of what to do about it? Think I may have to try the cream. I've been prescribed estriol, but stung when I put it on outer bits and looks like a lot will be needed, which may be quite messy?

Hurdity

Re: Vagifem not being absorbed - alternatives
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2019, 07:52:11 PM »

:o on the bathroom floor!!!!

Maybe try inserting it at night? I always shove mine in any old time as I'm walking about but seems to stay put despite having had several children. It is designed to adhere to the vaginal wall. How far do you insert the plunger? Try putting it up as far as it will comfortably go ( just short of the cervix) maybe? If you're  already doing that then I'm not sure - cream is more likely to react to gravity but perhpas will absorb before it falls out? If you ask for Ovestin (0.1%) it is stronger so 10 x less is needed - but has different fillers though which you might react to.

Hurdity x

Joaniepat

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2019, 08:17:26 PM »

If the Vagifem falls out, it indicates that you are probably very dry inside. Try inserting some Yes VM an hour or so beforehand.

You could try switching to Ovestin, or using your Estriol Cream instead, but the applicator for the latter looks huge. Ovestin and Estriol cream used to sting me when used outside, although I can use Estriol now that my VA has improved.

Another thing you could try instead of Vagifem is the Estring, which just stays put for three months.

JP x

Whatsupwiththis

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2019, 10:22:36 PM »

Hi.  Sometimes my Vagifem does not dissolve either.  My Dr. suggested using a small dab of moisturizer on the pessary just the top of pill.  So far so good. 

shrosphirelass

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2019, 03:14:43 PM »

Thanks all, I'm at a loss. I do insert it at night so I guess it is when I go to the toilet in the night, weird, but has happened several times so can't think what else it could be. I've just started using Yes VM and so far it's made me feel a lot better. I did try putting some on the end of the applicator but still saw bits the next day. I'm going to try the estriol since I have it, but would really rather use vagifem as it's more convenient, so will try with VM put in first as well. Hurdity do you know, do people generally get on better with estriol than ovestin? I was going to ask the dr for the latter as it requires so much less but don't want to risk using something known to cause more irritation!

misskh

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2019, 08:32:41 AM »

I've been using Estirol for just over 2 weeks, finished the 14 day straight...and now only fill the applicator 3/4 of the way...pretty much seeing how it goes.
I sometimes find this also falls out when up in the night to pee...so started putting it in higer up which seems to do the trick.

I was on Vagifem, which as you say is more convenient but thought i'd try the cream as i've just had terrible dryness, UTI symptoms and general discomfort/burning down there which is much improved.
My Dr won't give both Vagifem and estirol which is a shame as I like the convenience of Vagifem but it's nice to rub the cream on the outside when soreness hits there.

Now...if only I  could stop peeing every few hours through the night.....

Hurdity

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2019, 07:42:22 PM »

Hi shropshirelass - sorry I don't really know. It will be a question of the fillers and whether women prefer to use the cream partly as a moisturiser too ( even though that is not its primary function) in which case the generic estriol 0.01 % might be preferable. If women don't fancy too much gloop then the Ovestin ( which is 0.1% estriol) might be preferred? As I use it only on outer areas and on the end of tampons during my bleed I use the weaker one so I can use it liberally without giving too much of the active ingredient estriol.

Hurdity x

Sammiejane

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2019, 09:38:38 PM »

Hi ladies

Can Ovestin being estriol ale u gain weight ?