Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Estrogen cream  (Read 875 times)

shrosphirelass

Estrogen cream
« on: September 26, 2019, 10:41:10 AM »

Ive reacently started on vagifem but have got worse so asked the drs for an estrogen cream. Can anyone advise about using the cream externally in conjuction with the vagifem? I'm not sure where to put it and how often to use it. I know this isn't the intended use but I think I've read others on here says they do similar things.

Hurdity

Re: Estrogen cream
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2019, 03:16:39 PM »

Yoyu just rub it into external areas around the vaginal entrance rather than inserting it internally using the applicator - which is what you would do if the estriol cream was the only local oestrogen you were using. if you have the weaker estriol cream ie the 0.01 % rather than the branded stronger Ovestin (0.1%) then you can gently just rub a little into the area probably as often as you want although as it's off-licence to use both (ie estriol + Vagifem) I can't advise on frequency and what other women have been advised to use by their gynae - my GP just prescribes it because I've asked for it so no instructions given!

Hurdity x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2019, 03:19:11 PM »

What would be the contra-indication to using both?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2019, 03:21:16 PM »

With 'vagifem' though Birdy?

jaycee

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2019, 04:11:31 PM »

Shropshirelass  ,I  hope you have been given the right cream, i was given ESTROGEN instead or Ovestin
Make sure it is the right one if you asked for Estrogen cream

shrosphirelass

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2019, 05:57:03 PM »

I was given estriol 0.01% so from what you say Hurdity that's 10 times weaker than ovestin. Hopefully I'm going to carry on with vagifem so it'll be good for exteranl use, but if I do swap is that going to be strong enough?

Birdy if you use the same strength estriol how ofen do you use it?

Lizzie06

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2019, 06:26:13 PM »

I use Vagifem every other night and a pea size amount of estriol 0.01% cream externally morning and evening. It did take a few weeks for the Vagifem to ease my bladder/urethra issues, and I use the estriol cream for the external itch.

shrosphirelass

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2019, 04:06:21 PM »

Thanks that's helpful.