Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: minipill and femoston conti 1/10 too much?  (Read 1393 times)

ohnowwhat

• First Flush
minipill and femoston conti 1/10 too much?
« on: September 19, 2019, 12:22:42 PM »

Hi all, I've lurked for a while feeling simultaneously reassured that I'm not on my own but equally concerned by how terrible a time some people are having.  I feel for you.

I am 47 next week and went to see GP about 4 months ago about perimenopause symptoms - biggest issues for me were low mood, brain fog and at the time sore boobs.  After doing some research GP prescribed femoston conti which I started taking.  I felt a bit better to start with but then realised I was still getting really tearful and after the second month I got the really sore boobs back along with cramps and some spotting. I was about to go on holiday so did a quick bit of research and decided to stop taking the HRT until I'd done some more and had my holiday!

I take cerazatte mini-pill for contraception so am wondering whether I need the progestorone from the HRT and could just ask for something purely oestrogen because the femoston conti + mini pill are giving me too much progesterone?

I'm due to go back to the GP on Monday so feel like I want to go armed with what I think I need as most of what I've read on here leads me to think I shouldn't be on femoston conti if I am just peri.  I have no idea what's going on period-wise as the minipill stopped them dead in their tracks long long ago and I had one before I fell pregnant with my daughter then went straight back on as soon as I could afterwards (that was 8 years ago).

Any advice very much welcomed!

« Last Edit: September 19, 2019, 12:29:49 PM by ohnowwhat »

Hurdity

Re: minipill and femoston conti 1/10 too much?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2019, 07:25:13 PM »

Hi ohnowwhat

:welcomemm:

I can understand why you are wondering this! It can be a problem when women are using the POP for contraception but also want HRT, because HRT does not provide contraception but one mini pill is not sufficient progesotgen to take with oestrogen only.

Another alternative is a different kind of CCP - called QLAIRA. It has the same oestrogen in it as Femoston but also contains sufficient progestogen to control your cycles and so acts as a contraceptive.

Also there is the Mirena coil which does both too - acts as contraceptive and protecting the womb lining from thickening as a result of oestrogen from HRT. With the Mirena you can then add oestrogen as a patch, gel or pill.

Hope this helps :)

Hurdity x

ohnowwhat

• First Flush
Re: minipill and femoston conti 1/10 too much?
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2019, 04:35:21 PM »

Thanks so much for the reply, and apologies this wasn't sooner, I've just realised I didn't reply to say thank you!