Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Question re Effexor/Venlafaxine  (Read 580 times)

Mav196

Question re Effexor/Venlafaxine
« on: September 12, 2019, 05:36:10 PM »

Hi
I am taking 125mg Venlafaxine extended release as a migraine prophylactic- for daily migraine and dizziness that started age 46 in perimenopause.  I started at 12.5mg in March of this year and titrated up to 137.5mg however at 137.5mg dose I started to experience “missed heartbeats” - mostly in the morning time for a few hours after getting up, they die down a bit during the day and pick back up again around 9pm and last for a few hours.  Typically it goes as follows - beat, beat, beat, long pause followed by a forceful beat and then beat, beat, beat until the next one happens.  I have since reduced to 125mg and while the intensity of the forceful beats has reduced, I am still gett No them on a daily basis.  I have had an ECG and a holter monitor done which revealed a number of premature ventricular contractions and premature atrial contractions.  My GP said it's nothing to worry about but I am worried nonetheless.

I am wondering if there are any Venlafaxine/Effexor users on this forum who may have experienced an alteration in heart rhythm?

Thanks for your help
Mav

Hurdity

Re: Question re Effexor/Venlafaxine
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2019, 07:31:55 PM »

Mav196 Whereabouts are you in menopause and are you taking HRT? Palpitations and iregular heartbeats are commomn symptoms of menopause caused by oestrogen deficiency so you might see an improvement if you start HRT? Is this something you have considered? has the ven.. helped your migranes?

Sorry I can't help specifically with your question but hopefully someone else will do so!

Hurdity x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2019, 10:35:59 AM »

I have taken various ADs since the 1980s but have never been aware of my heart  ::).  Sorry.  If your GP says not to worry ;-)

Mav196

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2019, 07:39:29 PM »

Thanks Hurdity and CKLD
I have reduced my dosage and the missed heartbeats have reduced in frequency so perhaps it is the medication causing it.
Mav