Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Can anyone answer my query about patches and having a coil??  (Read 718 times)

Ally42

• First Flush
Can anyone answer my query about patches and having a coil??
« on: September 08, 2019, 09:34:22 AM »

I have struggled with the menopause for over 5 years and have been treated by me GP for anxiety and depression. I have been taking anti depressants but at no point did my GP suggest HRT. I was speaking to a friend and she was appalled my GP hadn't prescribed HRT and suggested I go to a private doctor which I did.  He listened to all I had been through, he was kind and understood and assured me things would improve. He prescribed Evorel 50 patches and the impact on all of my menopausal says proms has been amazingly positive. On my 2nd visit is shared my positive experience and he talked to me about having a coil to balance the estrogen and progesterone. I told him I'd rather have an alternative to having a coil. Has anyone experienced the same and have you had the coil fitted and does it help or is there an alternative.? I'd much prefer to take progesterone patches but I'm not sure that is something that is available. I look forward to your replies. Ally xx

orrla

Re: Can anyone answer my query about patches and having a coil??
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2019, 09:53:43 AM »

Hi,

For me a coil was a good solution after my difficult reaction to oral progesterone.

It is also easy. It is there, inside, and you'll not have to remember about taking any pills. It lasts 4 to 5 years. There are combined patches, but I don't know enough about them. I only got them at 62, after taking Mirena out. I could have new one if I wanted but though of moving so in that view was easier, otherwise I was fine with having it in. It lowered intensity of orgasms but to me it was a price worth to pay.

Ally42

• First Flush
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2019, 11:07:29 AM »

Thank you so much for your reply. I'm glad to hear it helped relieve your symptoms. Thank you 😊

Dotty

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2019, 11:47:37 AM »

Hi Ally42....are you just using Evorel 50 patches? How long have you been using them? x

scrubdub

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2019, 01:56:28 PM »

I've had a Mirena now for 3 months and so far so good. I started on Everol 25 for a month then now on everol 50. Had a bit of cramp post op (had it done under GA). My periods are lighter but seem to last for 7-10 days but my Gynae said this should settle and give it 6 months. I was a bit apprehensive about a mirena but having spoke to a couple of Female gp's at work,they all have them so they must know something I didn't.I will need to have it replaced in 5 years.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2019, 05:01:02 PM »

Having tried most of the different HRT types and regimes, I can can honestly say that Mirena with Oestrogel (patches give the same effect as Oestrogel) was my best HRT regime. The Mirena gave me the fewest progesterone side effects.  DG x

allie007

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2019, 09:36:45 PM »

I'm on my second Mirena and started using patches a year ago and all is fine now I'm on the right dose of patch. I use Estradot 100, plus a pump of gel.

Ally42

• First Flush
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2019, 07:50:29 AM »

Thank you all for your replies, they've  been really helpful.  Is the fitting a marina coil easy, does the GP do this or is it a visit to the hospital? Also, can you feel it inside or is it easy enough to forget its there? Sorry I know these are personal questions, I'm just nervous about the whole thing 😳

orrla

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2019, 08:55:16 AM »

I had one fitted by GP at surgery, and it was unpleasant as was told to take two paracetamol prior it and that's it. Afterwards, I had cramps like with a bad period. Second was done at Menopause clinic, under local anaesthetic and I felt nothing, or even rather jolly afterwards.

Once in, you forget it is there.

Best!
« Last Edit: September 09, 2019, 09:16:44 AM by orrla »

Beccascat

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2019, 09:13:44 AM »

Hi there
I had the Merina coil fitted under GA 4 months ago (had hysteroscopy and polyp removal also), and use with evorel 50 patches. I'm very happy with this hrt regime ...minimal side effects (if any) for me. I was on evorel conti prior to this but feel much more settled with the merina etc  ::)

allie007

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2019, 10:25:57 AM »

I've never felt anything with either coil, bit sore the first 24ish hours but I wouldn't know it was there after that x