Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 19

Author Topic: Link to Guardian article this morning re increased breast cancer risk on HRT  (Read 29265 times)

orrla

Re: Link to Guardian article this morning re increased breast cancer risk on HRT
« Reply #195 on: September 03, 2019, 09:08:18 AM »

Well said Ladies!

This is exactly what we need them for!

To cope with this modern world!

I don't want to burst up in tears each time some stupid narcissist has a go at me...

I want to be able to cope, as I did before all that Meno havoc!

Sheanie

Re: Link to Guardian article this morning re increased breast cancer risk on HRT
« Reply #196 on: September 03, 2019, 10:16:30 AM »

I was skeptical the moment I saw the newspaper headline. I am even more so now having read this debate and all the reactions from various meno experts. Thank you to everyone for posting them!

HRT has improved my quality of life immeasurably and I am sure is providing me with multiple health benefits. I won't be coming off it because of this rehashed research paper.

Thank you again for all your contributions. This site is an amazing resource for women!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #197 on: September 03, 2019, 11:38:53 AM »

dahliagirl - eloquently put!  My thoughts but can't get words into action these days  :-\

I have Louise Newson's article to hand to read again.

bear

« Reply #198 on: September 03, 2019, 01:32:48 PM »

I thought research was presented to peers at conference etc for scrutiny before it was considered for policy.

The trouble with epidemiology and statistics is that it can find link, which this has done.  We know that there is a link with breast cancer and HRT.  But we do not know what that link is and hard science RCT are needed to find out what that link is and isolate the mechanisms, then something can be done.

We knew there was a link before, and this study shows that link exists (again) and that it may last longer than thought, but it still does not tell us what that link is.   There have been a number of studies since the millennium and million women trials looking at different progestogens to see if that could be a cause, and detailed analysis of the numbers has shown that it could be an effect, but we need a lot more of this sort of research before we get any answers.

I don't know why this study got so much attention.  They have only said there is a link and have not come up with anything that proves that HRT actually causes BC, and the study does not show that HRT increases the number of deaths from BC.

This study is the result of a joint effort of the Collaborative Group on Hormonal Factors in Breast Cancer, comprising 133 institutions around the world. I reckon they have discussed the study extensively before submitting it for publication, but of course there must be an equal number of scientists and other people trying to understand and possibly challenge their findings (it happened with the WHI trial). If the UK government is considering it for policy, I reckon it's because it's a robust study and the implications are serious for public health policy.  https://www.gov.uk/drug-safety-update/hormone-replacement-therapy-hrt-further-information-on-the-known-increased-risk-of-breast-cancer-with-hrt-and-its-persistence-after-stopping

I don't see any problem in finding links, or associations. They are very useful for seeing the big picture as long as no causality is inferred. Epidemiology studies are about groups of people, not individual patients. No government could exist without it. Statistics is a tool for all scientific studies. No science would survive without it.

There are not enough data from long term use of HRT studies to be analysed and breast cancer takes a long time to develop, but in the meantime, scientists who have a lot of data at their disposal won't just wait for a ‘hard science RCT' until ‘something can be done'. The purposes of Randomised Controlled Trials are not to isolate mechanisms, these are done via molecular studies in vitro and in vivo, usually using model animals. To isolate hormonal mechanisms using humans as objects would be a bit complicated. RCTs are important to provide strong evidence of cause-effect, IF they are well designed and methodologically sound. They also can be flawed.
This is not the purpose of this study, all analyses on risk ratios are welcome, until molecular investigations can find ‘that link'.

What could be a cause and what could be an effect of what? Sorry I can't understand what you mean. Do you mean that ‘detailed analysis' of the use of different progestogens ‘has shown' that ‘it' (breast cancer?) could be an effect? If that's what you mean, yes, and as I said before, scientists work with available data and if ‘this sort of research (that we need a lot more of)' takes a long time to achieve any significant results, scientists can't just wait.

The study aim was not to prove causality. Actually, scientific studies rarely ‘prove' anything beyond doubt, they are usually about evidence that can corroborate hypotheses or about data collection, analysis and interpretation, like this one.

This objection 'the study does not show that HRT increases the number of deaths from BC' keeps being raised by many doctors and ‘experts'. From a purely personal point of view, I would like to know what are my chances of getting breast cancer if I'm on HRT, independently of what comes next. Breast cancer mortality rates depend on many other variables. From the public health point of view, it's very important to know that HRT use can increase the absolute risks of BC (which has been provided by this study) not just during the use of HRT (up to 5 years), but also 15 years after discontinuation (which is a new finding of this study), for the very important reason that the NHS and equivalents around the world are going to pay for those breast cancer treatments, not to mention the obvious implications for individuals.

This study is about numbers (patients, years of HRT use, age, risk ratios), it is not about proving causality, there's a big IF in the Interpretation section:

‘If these associations are largely causal, then for women of average weight in developed countries, 5 years of MHT, starting at age 50 years, would increase breast cancer incidence at ages 50–69 years by about one in every 50 users of oestrogen plus daily progestagen preparations; one in every 70 users of oestrogen plus intermittent progestagen preparations; and one in every 200 users of oestrogen-only preparations. The corresponding excesses from 10 years of MHT would be about twice as great.'

It would be useful if one can separate what has been demonstrated in a 67-page study from 1-page media reports.

It's nice to be able to discuss things deeply and not let emotions and preconceptions get in the way. Science can certainly be flawed but it's still the best tool we have to address these flaws.

Sorry for not multiquoting, it's terribly difficult when there's no such an option, at least I haven't found it.

BeaR.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #199 on: September 03, 2019, 10:06:35 PM »

I don't know how HRT can be blamed for breast cancer that far down the line  :-\.  We are told that blood tests are reliably un-reliable.  How can anyone prove that HRT can cause cancer by looking at paper work  :-\

No one has asked me back for discussion or further investigation even though my lump, in the 1990s, was supposedly oestrogen driven.  I could have taken HRT after surgery and not been affected.  I have routine mammograms even though the lump was found on palpation and never showed on film.  There4, unless I get breast cancer in the future - I will never call it recurrence - I won't be asked for discussion as to how I've been over-all ...........

Confused.  You bet I am  >:(.  Annoyed.  Yep. 

dangermouse

« Reply #200 on: September 04, 2019, 07:44:13 AM »

This came out this morning:

More (post menopausal) women should take anti-breast-cancer drugs, US officials say

https://mol.im/a/7422841

I wonder why the progestogen use causes more breast cancer (in the main study been discussing) but here they are saying it’s oestrogen that needs reducing - which makes more logical sense for oestrogen driven breast cancer?

Perhaps it’s referring to non bio identical prog only, where natural prog would reduce the risks.

Emma

• Administrator

Hurdity

« Reply #202 on: September 04, 2019, 11:20:25 AM »

Thanks for posting this Emma - an illuminating statement and puts the study into perspective very clearly.

I do find it odd that the Government and specifically the MHRA saw fit to update their recommendations almost immediately on the basis of the published Lancet paper - without waiting for the latest analysis to be properly scrutinised and taking into account the very specific and valid points made in the IMS statement notably relating to the types of HRT now being commonly prescribed. It's like it was a knee-jerk reaction to all the Press publicity?

MHRA statement sent to health professionals last week:
https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/media/5d68d0e340f0b607c6dcb697/HRT-patient-sheet-3008.pdf

Hurdity x

orrla

« Reply #203 on: September 04, 2019, 11:34:10 AM »

..which, combined with a severe shortages can make one quite suspicious of what's going on, I'd say...

I am hoping that there will be some explanation soon, of why this paper got such a coverage, etc.!

Katy60

• First Flush
« Reply #204 on: September 04, 2019, 01:28:55 PM »

Interesting comments from Liz Earle. I agree with her opinion on this video. I have used HRT for many years and followed the research carefully.

https://twitter.com/BBCWorldatOne/status/1167460712597397504

Katy x

Callisto

« Reply #205 on: September 04, 2019, 01:38:18 PM »

Can't read the report as having an anxiety attack even at responses by you guys so far -  more nervous than ever- not about the increased cancer risks ( I am personallymore at risk of stress and insomnia related disease including heart attacks and depression) but palpitations and shortness of breathe at what is likely to be an even bigger battle to get HRT through GP's NHS or otherwise. :'(
Ironically on way to GP's now to discuss increase in dose..

Bobidy

« Reply #206 on: September 04, 2019, 02:36:19 PM »

Please listen to this new podcast from the goddess Dr Newson. She chats with Liz Earle about this 'new' bc scare headline and puts it all into perspective:

https://www.menopausedoctor.co.uk/podcasts/s1e13-hrt-and-breast-cancer-dr-louise-newson-and-liz-earle-mbe

As you know I'm totally biased but all her podcasts are great and you can find them here:

https://www.menopausedoctor.co.uk/podcasts

This one in particular discusses the original flawed research in more detail (about halfway through):

https://www.menopausedoctor.co.uk/podcasts/symptoms-and-effective-treatment-for-women-experiencing-the-menopause-and-peri-menopause

You may need to download Podbean first.

I found this reassuring, I hope you do too xx

bear

« Reply #207 on: September 04, 2019, 04:17:05 PM »

The International Menopause Society comment (pdf)
https://www.imsociety.org/manage/images/pdf/2b650ccd4a2e0c63806d82ed2984ed69.pdf

Thank you for the link, Emma.

Firs of of all, the IMS comment begins with a question in bold letters ‘Is there new information that menopausal hormone therapy (MHT) substantially increases breast cancer risk as suggested by a paper published in the Lancet this month (1) and should women be worried?'

There are 4 hits for the word ‘substantially' in the study:

In general, the RR did not differ substantially
by the progestagenic constituent of the combinations,
including rarely used hormones, such as micronised
[natural] progesterone (RR 2.05, 1.38–3.56), although
the RR appeared to be somewhat lower for oestrogen
plus dydrogesterone (appendix p 45).

Most studies provided data on tumour characteristics.
RRs in current users during years 5–14 were substantially
greater for ER+ than ER– tumours and for lobular than
ductal tumours, but were similar for localised tumours
and tumours that had spread beyond the breast (figure 5).
The appendix (pp 46–47) gives further results by ER
status.

Risks did not differ substantially
between the main oestrogenic constituents,
or by whether
oestrogens were administered orally or transdermally.

Ovarian function ceases with menopause; thereafter,
oestrogen levels fall substantially and progesterone levels
fall to near zero.

So I reckon the IMS comment refers to their own perception/interpretation that the risks for BC are substantially increased by HRT (MHT) or more likely, that this important and misleading word has been borrowed from media reports instead.

I have other observations on the IMS comment, I don't have enough time now, but will do it later on, although my own perception of this thread is that I'm talking to myself. Anyway, I like talking to myself.

BeaR.

Jari

« Reply #208 on: September 04, 2019, 04:34:16 PM »

Definitely not talking to yourself. I’m very interested to read your very informative posts!  ;) x
« Last Edit: September 04, 2019, 04:36:55 PM by Jari »

bear

« Reply #209 on: September 04, 2019, 04:41:38 PM »

Ah, thank you, Jari. I was going to comment on your last one, but the thread has escalated and I forgot. I will do it later on today.  :)

BeaR.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 19