Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Night sweats again!?  (Read 1099 times)

Charliegirl@

Night sweats again!?
« on: August 28, 2019, 07:08:44 PM »

Hi all,  not been on here in a while. I am nearly 67 and night sweats have started up again, getting up in the night pj's wet through. Bit dismayed about it, obviously lack of estrogen again. Trouble is I cant take HRT estrogen, as blood pressure bit up and down. Any good alternatives?
Cheers Charliegirl.x

Hurdity

Re: Night sweats again!?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2019, 07:53:22 PM »

Hi Charliegirl - high BP is not a contra-indication for HRT but should be controlled preferable before starting:
https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/atoz.php#GlossH

"Blood pressure should be measured and, if high, should be controlled prior to starting HRT. Blood pressure measurement should be repeated 3 months after starting HRT and is then usually checked at annual review. There is a very small risk of conjugated equine estrogens causing a rise in blood pressure which resolves on cessation of treatment. In the presence of controlled hypertension, HRT is unlikely to worsen control; some recommend using transdermal (patch or gel) HRT.
Sage should be used with caution if hypertensive and St.John's Wort should be used with caution if taking antihypertensive therapy
."

Have you ever taken HRT and how long is it since your menopause?

There are prescribable alternatives to HRT for dealing with flushes and I printed out a fairly recent paper here which gives the recommended treatments for those who can't take hRT for medical reasons:
https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,45004.0.html

Also maybe check out with the doc if they have suddenly reappeared and nothing else had changed as there are other medical causes of sweats.

Hope you sort something out soon that enables you to be more confortable - night sweats are the pits!

Hurdity x

Charliegirl@

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2019, 04:21:19 PM »

Thank you Hurdity, glad to know I can still take it if blood pressure controlled. I finished meno at 52, since had a hysterectomy,didn't have sweats before so most likely hormonal. I would have estrogen patches only on a low dose I think.
Will hope the GP is helpful with this.
Cheers Charliegirl.x

Charliegirl@

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2019, 09:44:36 AM »

Thank you Birdy!😀 I have a GP app soon so will discuss hrt. Thanks for the info Hurdity.
Xx

Charliegirl@

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2019, 03:32:18 PM »

Well, visit to doctor today,  got the usual stuff, well, you are 67, we don't usually give HRT, the night sweats might be something else?  No its estrogen related. Well we will do blood tests. There is nothing wrong with my body, please just give me the patches. Well your blood pressure is a little bit high. Yes that's why I am on medication!  Nearly produced the research about women having meno symptoms in their 60s 70s and 80s!
I know my own body well enough by now!
 >:( >:(

Charliegirl@

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2019, 04:42:42 PM »

Hi Birdy, yes they are going to do pointless blood tests. Am off to Spain tomorrow, might look into patches in the farmacia, some ladies on here get them from there., although it is self medication!

Charliegirl@

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2019, 09:32:19 AM »

Hi Stellajane, yes I know that really, was just feeling so frustrated. To be honest I have been having night sweats on and off since menopause, just that this past month they have been almost every night, with horrendous depression/exhaustion. I have read a study about women continuing to have sweats into their70s and 80s. Also there is a difference between feeling hot and a bit sweaty in bed,and the soaking wet pyjamas scenario
I still have ovaries so am guessing there had been a drop in estrogen to cause symptoms, however I will have the blood test.
Charliegirl.xx

Charliegirl@

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2019, 11:37:03 AM »

Thank you Stellajane!😀💐

Countrygirl

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2019, 02:28:19 PM »

My mum never took hrt and still gets hot flushes and night sweats and she's in her 70's. She finds they stop for a while then just when she thinks that's it, they kick back off again x