Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Can anyone decipher a glasses prescription  (Read 1614 times)

shrosphirelass

Can anyone decipher a glasses prescription
« on: August 28, 2019, 04:02:05 PM »

Following very bad headaches I went to the opticians for a check up. They could see the floaters in my left eye but my eyes were generally healthy. However, the optician said I should not get off the shelf reading glasses any more and should have prescription ones. He said I needed separate presciption for reading and computer work and could get away without any for long distance.

My readings were 2.75 for reading and 1.75 for computer, but in both cases I think I under estimated the distance I held a book and where the computer screen is, so suspect it should be slightly less. The other measurements which I think shows a slight astigmatism (?) were sphere 0.5 (right and left) Cylinder 0.75 (right and left) and axis 90 right and 70 left.

Ideally I want to get off the shelf but does anyone know whteher these readings mean I really need something tailor made. Many thanks for any advice

Sparrow

Re: Can anyone decipher a glasses prescription
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2019, 05:00:17 PM »

I would advise not getting over the counter glasses as you will need different strength lens for each eye.  I think you will find that reading glasses, even from and optician are a reasonable price and they will adjust them so they don't slide of your nose.

sheila99

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2019, 05:19:16 PM »

Are both eyes 2.75 and 1.75 or do they differ? If they differ I think you need to get them from the optician as I think off the shelf only come with the same lenses in both eyes. I had contact lenses that didn't correct my astigmatism and I didn't notice it but if you look carefully things will look either a bit fatter or a bit thinner and perhaps not as sharp. I'm not an optician so not in a position to advise you but if it was me I'd try the cheapies and see. You can still go back to the opticians if you get headaches.

shrosphirelass

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2019, 05:26:23 PM »

Yeah both eyes need the same strength magnification. Its just the cylinder and axis results I don't understand.

I have about 6 pairs of glasses so that Ive always got them with me as find it hard to read anything without them and I am a very mature student. This would make it a bit costly, but obviously if having optician ones would help my headaches (not that the guy suggested they would) I'd find the money.

Saffy

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2019, 12:37:46 AM »

The cylinder and axis are measurements of astigmatism (slightly squished, rugby ball shape of the eyeball). I think cylinder is the degree of astigmatism and axis is the 'direction' for want of a better description. With off the shelf specs you will only be able to match the sphere measurement (and this would have to be the same in both eyes) but the cylinder and axis will always be zero.

I'm extremely short sighted but now also need reading glasses and I always refuse to do as I'm told  ;D. Not suggesting you do this but...I selected a prescription myself by buying some really cheap reading (plus) lenses off Ebay and taping them to the front of my distance (minus) glasses while reading and on the computer. Then I got some specs made up online to my measurements without a prescription using my optician-measured cylinder and axis but my own sphere guesstimate for each eye (Zenni optical - very good and cheap). I've found this to be a far better way of doing it as it's based on a 'real world' situation rather than sitting at the opticians in the dark with them deciding how far away I read a book/use a computer. I also found I only needed one pair of specs for both situations.

dahliagirl

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2019, 07:18:03 PM »

Asda opticians used to do some very cheap prescription spectacles - knew someone with a very complex prescription that got some for £35 - worth a look?

Just had a look online - now 45 pounds.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2019, 07:23:48 PM by dahliagirl »

Mogster71

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2019, 04:47:28 PM »

I think readers are the only things you can get off the shelf, and even then you can really notice the difference in the quality. Specsavers glasses start around £40, I would say it's definitely worth having something tailor made.

The other thing to investigate is an on line specs dispenser - I got my prescription sunglasses from Superdrug opticians for £29. All you do is fill in the boxes on the website for each measurement. It taught me from an existing pair of glasses that the little numbers which I thought were shop serial numbers are actually measurements for the bridge distance and also the length of the bit that goes round your ear, plus the width of the frame!!

They did take a couple of weeks to come through but have been a real life saver. I've got an astigmatism too in both eyes and the left is more pronounced. Even if you could buy off the shelf in different prescriptions they wouldn't be able to fix the astigmatism part - I think you'll notice the difference SL!

shrosphirelass

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2019, 06:02:04 PM »

Thank you very much for all your helpful replies.