Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Information on UTIs  (Read 569 times)

Kathleen

Information on UTIs
« on: August 22, 2019, 06:57:14 PM »

Hello ladies

I was browsing some science sites as you do and learned a few things about the causes and treatment of UTIs. I thought I would pass the information on as it may be of interest.

In addition to the usual advice of drink plenty of water, follow good personal hygiene and always urinate after intercourse it seems that drinking cranberry juice ( not from concentrate ) mixed with raw honey can be very effective.

E Coli in the faeces can live on the skin of the perineum and migrate to the bladder causing a UTI. It seems that the E Coli in consumed chicken may be a contributory factor. The researchers suggest eliminating chicken from the diet to see if it helps.

I thought it was worth mentioning the above as it may be helpful to some ladies.

Wishing everyone well.

K.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Information on UTIs
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2019, 08:35:57 PM »

Can you let us know where you got this?  Cranberry juice has been more or less discredited in that there have never been any research reports resleased other than by the Companies that grow/sell cranberries  ::)

We all carry bugs on our skins, in our noses, in the bowel.  When the immune system is low then these bugs can take hold, particularly C.diff - my Dad had one of the nasties 3 times whilst in Hospital, can't remember which one.  :-\  Because he had been healthy most of his life, other than depression, ABs did the job.  Otherwise he may well not have survived. 

My friend had a stay in Hospital in the 1980s for something quite simple, nearly lost her Life due to being discharged far too early with C.diff.  Was told that her stomach would clear once she was home, well no one should be vomiting after surgery whilst in Hospital!!  Took 4 months to recover.

In the Hospitals where I worked each Ward had a team of cleaners that didn't go anywhere else - equipment was maintained on each Ward and not taken anywhere else.  Floors were stripped and repolished every morning ......... there was no C.diff etc. until the 1980s when cleaners were brought in from Agencies and who knew where they had been prior or went after attending the Wards!!  Infection rates rose dramatically.   Staff were not allowed to wear Uniform into town, they could go to their flats/homes and had to get changed and uniforms handed into the laundry.  They would then get changed into Uniform on the Wards. 

Any bugs can be passed physically to the bladder by bad personal hygiene.  They don't migrate.  Candida lives in the back passage and can be passed = vaginal thrush.

If poultry isn't cooked thoroughly: i.e. defrosted if necessary and cooked at high temperatures for the correct amount of time: then salmonella will be a problem.  We have never had D&V as all our chicken is well cooked, we don't use a thermometer but the juices run clear: I don't eat chicken unless DH cooks eat and won't touch turkey 'cos I know what it's fed on ....... I don't fancy raw fish  ::)

Urinary tract infections can be caused by many bugs but urine samples need to be sent to a Lab. to see if it really is an infection. 

Sparrow

Re: Information on UTIs
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2019, 09:03:45 PM »

Hello ladies

I was browsing some science sites as you do and learned a few things about the causes and treatment of UTIs. I thought I would pass the information on as it may be of interest.

In addition to the usual advice of drink plenty of water, follow good personal hygiene and always urinate after intercourse it seems that drinking cranberry juice ( not from concentrate ) mixed with raw honey can be very effective.

E Coli in the faeces can live on the skin of the perineum and migrate to the bladder causing a UTI. It seems that the E Coli in consumed chicken may be a contributory factor. The researchers suggest eliminating chicken from the diet to see if it helps.

I thought it was worth mentioning the above as it may be helpful to some ladies.

Wishing everyone well.

K.

That's very informative Kathleen, thank you. Since I had a kidney infection I always use wipes after no. 2s.  I'm sure it helps.