Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Progesterone intolerant...HELP!!  (Read 765 times)

heljanejo

• First Flush
Progesterone intolerant...HELP!!
« on: August 22, 2019, 11:15:52 AM »

Hi All- I'm new here but totally desperate so any advice much appreciated!

I started on Elleste Duet 1mg at age of 45 which relieved my menopause symptoms really well but caused quite severe PMT type symptoms during the green tablet phase. I tolerated this for nearly 8 years as it was only bad for 3-4 days, and when I was taking the white oestrogen I was absolutely fine . I then figured that after 8 years the menopause should be done and dusted and decided to come off the medication (reducing a tablet a week over 6 months) WRONG!! The symptoms (hot flushes, sleeplessness, VA, constipation etc etc)  came back worse than 8 years previously to the point where in desperation I went back to the GP who prescribed Femoston Conti (as I'm now 54 and had no bleeding in 11 months of being medication free).

The new regime didn't eradicate all of the menopause symptoms but reduced them enough to make life tolerable and I had no mood swings or depression so generally I was quite pleased with it.  After 6 months I woke up one day feeling so depressed I didn't want to get out of bed, and also anxious, jittery, spaced out, breathless -you name it... It was so frightening that I stopped the tablets immediately and went back to GP  who prescribed Kliovance 1mg/0.5. As with the Elleste Duet previously, this medication completely stopped all the menopausal symptoms but I have such low mood again (similar to PMT symptoms previously but now everyday as its conti)

I am so fed up.. It seems that whichever type of progesterone I try it causes low mood to the point where it is seriously impacting on my mental health and and my relationship (thank fully I have a very understanding husband but there is a limit!)  I am loathe to try the Mirena coil  (supposedly good for progesterone intolerance) as I had one years ago for contraception and experienced such severe mood swings that I had to have it removed.

Should I bite the bullet and make an appointment to go private to get this sorted out? Anyone else had similar difficulties and if so, what helped you? Any replies gratefully received. 

Dotty

Re: Progesterone intolerant...HELP!!
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2019, 11:28:02 AM »

Hi you could try Oestrogel and Utrogestan (progesterone).  You can get this combination from your GP. x

trumpera

Re: Progesterone intolerant...HELP!!
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2019, 08:49:43 PM »

Hello, I completely empathise with you. I cant tolerate any progesterone at all. Or Tibone.
Utrogestan 100mg negatively affected my mood after only 6 days, and resulted in my bowel stopping for 48 hours. Apparently it can effect smooth muscles therefore an extreme IBS like response.
But the estrogel is soooo effective.

Anxiety has been my dominant  menopause problem.

It could be antidepressants or consideration to a hysterectomy for me.
I'm 55 so surgery would not be a problem for me.
I'm going to wait for fem 7 patches to come back on the market. The progesterone is a very very low dose and topically is lower risk
Good look with your trials.   :)