Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Sudden bleed  (Read 855 times)

ElkWarning

Sudden bleed
« on: August 10, 2019, 07:23:01 PM »

Sorry if this is a daft question, but I seem to have got my period, or a period???

Ablation and Mirena coil Jan 2015 - to treat heavy periods.
Bleeding settled and had completely stopped by autumn 2015.
Asked for HRT in July 2018 due to muscle aches and brain fog.  For some reason I remember the nurse saying 'Last hurrah' and this probably referred to a bleed.  Sorry, the brain fog and memory issues were just absolutely debilitating.  Estradot 50mg.
Mirena replaced in February 2019, no bleed, the gynae (it was under general because of panic disorder and a thing I can't remember the name of, basically, lots of meat and folds of vagina, not a prolapse), said they'd had a good root around and all looked good.
Estradot withdrawn in early May 2019 due to sudden and unexpected diagnosis of extremely high blood pressure.
Blood pressure being treated with Ramipril, currently being withdrawn due to hacking cough, switching to Amlodipine.  BP almost under control.
Then this odd 'Oh my boobs hurt' a couple of days ago, slight dragging pain, very slight, and today the start of a bleed.  Sorry, hopefully this isn't slipping into TMI, but it _feels_ like a period.  I remember that softness and fullness 'down there'.  Period seems to be picking up pace.
Nurse appt on Monday re: hacking cough and BP med tweaking.

50 years old, history of very heavy periods.  Obviously, the Mirena has meant I'm not terribly sure of where I am in the menopause.  Mother and elder sister both had total hysterectomies due to issues.  Other older sister had a later hysterectomy, after meno at 55.

Any advice, other than talk to the nurse?  See above re: panic disorder.  Little bit freaked out, but otherwise feel kind of ok.  Sleeping quite a bit.

Thanks in advance, ladies.

EK. X

ElkWarning

Re: Sudden bleed
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2019, 08:52:58 PM »

Hello me lovelie. Yes it feels normal periody, in some ways quite nice, just a bit odd. Thanks for the reassurance.  X

Hurdity

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2019, 10:40:13 AM »

Sorry to hear about this Elkwarning - as Birdy says, sounds hormonal.

If your blood pressure is controlled and your menopausal symptoms return then you can restart the HRT. This is what it says on this website about hypertension and hRT:

Blood pressure should be measured and, if high, should be controlled prior to starting HRT. Blood pressure measurement should be repeated 3 months after starting HRT and is then usually checked at annual review. There is a very small risk of conjugated equine estrogens causing a rise in blood pressure which resolves on cessation of treatment. In the presence of controlled hypertension, HRT is unlikely to worsen control; some recommend using transdermal (patch or gel) HRT.
Sage should be used with caution if hypertensive and St.John's Wort should be used with caution if taking antihypertensive therapy.

https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/atoz.php#GlossH

Also,. as you have a Mirena and have had an ablation then you could ask for a blood test to determine whether you are peri-menopausal, now you are no longer on HRT? I think FSH is unaffected by Mirena?

Hurdity x

ElkWarning

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2019, 03:09:15 PM »

Thanks, Hurdity.  I think I can go back on the HRT now but I'm not sure I want to.  I had symptoms, and those were controlled, but three months after withdrawal I'm now a bit concerned that the HRT made me really weird.  I went for lunch with a work friend today who I haven't seen for a while and she was like 'Wow, you seem so much more together'.  I became very frazzled on HRT, like permanently in that 'up phase'.  My memory is a worse now, aches and pains are reappearing, but I don't feel jibbery, if that makes sense.

Hi CG, how you doing?  Ye, I believe it's the same with me.

Not sure about the blood test, will ask next time I see the nurse.  She actually withdrew the new med (Amlodipine) to see if that was interacting badly with the Ramipril, or both together with aggravating the coughing.  She also said I seemed a lot calmer and that it's not unusual for breakthrough bleeds if you've been through a lot recently.

Onwards and upwards.

Thanks, ladies.