Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Another Ovestin post  (Read 5752 times)

flutterby

Another Ovestin post
« on: August 09, 2019, 09:59:08 PM »

I've been wanting to ask this for a while, so here goes.
The morning after using the Ovestin cream when I get up I have a profuse discharge not just the small amount of cream that I inserted. I realise that it is encouraging cells to produce lubrication but I wondered if this is what others experience. I hasten to add there is no discomfort, odour or itching. As soon as it comes away there is just enough lubrication to feel comfortable until I use it again.

nan24

Re: Another Ovestin post
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2019, 08:37:22 AM »

Hi flutterby. I too have experienced a lot of discharge after using ovestin (I'm on to my 5th application,  I use twice a week) unfortunately though I'm experiencing a lot of discomfort/irritation. I insert as high as I can with applicator but it dosent help? Dont know weather to persevere or change?  It was.prescribed along with estrogel (1pump only) as a reintroduction of my HRT after a 5 year break.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2019, 08:44:18 AM »

I've never had problems with 'ovestin'.   I expect this is due to the vagina becoming moist and supple.

nan24 - up the dose if you are in discomfort, go back to nightly for 2 weeks.  Also wipe a little round the outer labia to prevent any dryness and itchy feelings there.

nan24

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2019, 08:59:44 AM »

I have been trying to get back on my HRT for 5 years and finally got a consultant (gp refused!) Who is sympathetic, it is so disappointing that things are not working out, I'm hoping they're just teething problems. The prescription was for one pump of oestrogel to start and ovestin inserted twice a week. I noted the leaflet said every night for 2 week then twice a week? So do you think using every night for  2 weeks will make the body adjust?

flutterby

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2019, 09:24:29 AM »

Hi Nan thanks for your reply. I think they should put something about this in their patient information instead of all the blurb which is about systemic HRT. The discharge appears a sort of fluorescent yellow but as there are no obvious signs of infection I'm a bit stumped to why. Sorry to hear you're having irritation and discomfort, maybe a different preparation would be gentler. When I see my GP I'm going to ask for a pessary based preparation. Flutterby x

nan24

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2019, 09:39:18 AM »

Thanks flutterby, I have made an appointment to discuss a possible change too. Good luck. Just  to add...although i had a slight urinary drip at night and sex was stingy I didnt really have daily discomfort before starting the ovestin? It's as though the ovestin has caused it? Is this normal? Does it settle? And do I need to do the 2 weeks continuous ? Just scared to make things worse? Has anyone else experienced this? And on top of this i my nipples have become quite over sensitive to the point of being painful! (Is this the oestrogel?) Just fed up as I've waited so long to get back on some form of HRT as my health wasnt  good  and things not going well, I'm hoping they're just teething problems.
Before coming off my HRT 5 years ago I was on elleste solo 1mg with no problems at all, but decided as I'm now 59 that low dose  transdermal would  be the safer option.

Joaniepat

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2019, 09:44:30 AM »

I have been trying to get back on my HRT for 5 years and finally got a consultant (gp refused!) Who is sympathetic, it is so disappointing that things are not working out, I'm hoping they're just teething problems. The prescription was for one pump of oestrogel to start and ovestin inserted twice a week. I noted the leaflet said every night for 2 week then twice a week? So do you think using every night for  2 weeks will make the body adjust?
You definitely need to do the 14 day loading dose. Just starting with twice a week won't do much. VA can result in a watery discharge (as opposed to the mucous secretions we used to get) and this in itself can irritate. I sugest the 14 day loading, then perhaps do every other day for a while before reducing to twice a week.

JP x

Dierdre

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2019, 09:47:24 AM »

Hi Flutterby, I had the fluorescent yellow for a while when I started on full HRT. I googled this and it came up with a discharge colour chart, this colour was within the normal range so I didnt worry too much and it did eventually change to a lighter more recognisable shade! Previously I'd been on  just local oestrogen but struggling and very dry so I assumed this was my body's attempt to start producing lubrication again. I'm just back on local  now, 5 a week Vagifem and Ovestin every night on the outer bits and sometimes internal too. Dont worry about the discharge, thats normal and the Ovestin is doing its job.

Joaniepat

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2019, 09:55:57 AM »

Thanks flutterby, I have made an appointment to discuss a possible change too. Good luck. Just  to add...although i had a slight urinary drip at night and sex was stingy I didnt really have daily discomfort before starting the ovestin? It's as though the ovestin has caused it? Is this normal? Does it settle? And do I need to do the 2 weeks continuous ? Just scared to make things worse? Has anyone else experienced this? And on top of this i my nipples have become quite over sensitive to the point of being painful! (Is this the oestrogel?) Just fed up as I've waited so long to get back on some form of HRT as my health wasnt  good  and things not going well, I'm hoping they're just teething problems.
Before coming off my HRT 5 years ago I was on elleste solo 1mg with no problems at all, but decided as I'm now 59 that low dose  transdermal would  be the safer option.
The nipple thing is the Oestrogel working. At least it shows it's doing something! I had this when restarting HRT, it wore off after a while.

JP x

flutterby

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2019, 10:44:05 AM »

Thank you Deidre so pleased that this normal.
Nan I was on HRT for 16 years I've been off it now for 3 and having hot flushes, increased anxiety and of course the vagginal dryness. Just wanted to say I found the patches so much better than oral HRT.
Flutterbyx

nan24

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2019, 11:27:09 AM »

Joniepat..thank you, that's a relief!

Flutterby...I started on oral after my full hysterectomy at 44 and then moved to patches but the doc changed me back to oral elleste solo 1mg as I got older. I stopped altogether 5 years ago and aged 10 years in 2!!!😒 The discharge after  inserting the ovestin dosent worry me it's more the stinging/discomfort that is definitely worse than before commencing with it.
Will perhaps try a differrent one if things dont improve.

Whatsupwiththis

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2019, 01:24:01 AM »

Hi nan 24...I have been experiencing the same thing with Vagifem...seems I was better BEFORE starting on estrogen but I believe it has to do with the plumping up?  At least I hope so.

sprocket

• Shoot from the hip!
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2019, 05:51:50 PM »

When I started on Ovestin nightly three weeks ago I had the most horrendous thick cloudy white discharge! It was very unpleasant. I treated myself for thrush as I knew it felt thrush-like and was so profuse and thankfully it cleared up! I was worried about the glycerin in Ovestin as glycerin can cause thrush especially if you're already susceptible to it. Since the discharge went, I have been discharge-free thank G. However, I get “ twinges “ of thrush in its early stages and Im trying to manage this with Multi Gyn Flora inserted a couple of times a week. It really is a case of managing this thing as opposed to Ovestin being a miraculous cure-all which I foolishly thought it would be when I was first issued it. Good luck darling. Its not easy. x

nan24

« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2019, 06:04:52 PM »

That more or less describes exactly how I have been sprocket! I just dont like the idea of the ovestin creating more problems than I started with! I dont see the point. I have not had thrush for years...until starting ovestin! Thankfully natural yoghurt sorted things out but I'm VERY reluctant to use it this week. I think I would sooner put up with the mild problems i had before than use a cream that going to give me thrush! I will ask for a differrent one and if that doesn't work i will just use a decent lubricant (I know it wont help the urinary issue but cant have everything!) And just run with the estrogel for other problems. Good luck with getting sorted.

sprocket

• Shoot from the hip!
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2019, 10:14:27 PM »

Nan, its still early days I think for you. The first two weeks I used Ovestin I honestly thought “ this is awful “ but I took a fluconazole and I havent had any discharge since. Ive taken it nightly for 3 wks now and start the twice a week regime this week. Things have definately improved. Not gone away completely but improved. The Multi Gyn Flora twice a week ( inbetween the Ovestin nights ) should keep any twinges of thrush on the down low. Stay with Ovestin a tad longer. Its the lowest dose and type of vaginal oestrogen out there and in my case ( post-breast cancer - the safest )
Stick with it another week or two then see how you feel “ down yonder “. 😉
X
Pages: [1] 2