Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Tibolone and bleeding  (Read 877 times)

joewillsmom

Tibolone and bleeding
« on: August 07, 2019, 04:12:07 PM »

Hi everyone,

I'm 49, two years post meno and have been prescribed Tibolone,
I've been taking it for a month now and have suddenly had breakthrough bleeding, lasting for 4 days, stopping for a couple, then starting again.
Just been to see the nurse who said these are red flags so now I'm fretting (I have health anxiety too).
I'm just wondering if the bleeding is normal? The nurse said it can sometimes happen with HRT, but she says its weird with Tibolone, so now my heads spinning in a direction I don't want it to.
I'd be grateful for any advice
xx

Taz2

Re: Tibolone and bleeding
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2019, 04:39:38 PM »

It gets me a bit annoyed when breakthrough bleeding is flagged up as a problem as in the first six months of use any conti HRT is known to cause spotting, breakthrough bleeding or even constant bleeding. It should state this in the information leaflet? Lots of us on here have experienced it in the first six months so, in my experience, it is normal so try not to worry.

Taz x  :)

Taz2

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2019, 04:43:49 PM »

I've just checked the information leaflet online and under irregular bleeding it states that this may happen in the first three to six months which is fine but if it lasts longer than six months then this should be discussed with your GP. Have you got the leaflet? The nurse should have known this rather than panic you.

Taz x

joewillsmom

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2019, 06:30:47 AM »

Thanks Taz, yes, thats what I read too last night.
My rational brain thinks yes, but the health anxiety part of my brain starts spinning with worry.
My gut reaction was to stop it right away, but its already helped so much with the flushes, dryness etc.
I wish I understood more about how it works, does it mean my womb lining is thickening..... is it safe to take it alone, does it have the right balance of hormones to be ok......health anxiety woman speaking here !! I have a GP appt in 2 weeks, but he is rather vague on his answers.
The nurse told me that if I'm still spotting when I have a blood test in 2 weeks, to ask for an examination. But I read that the spotting can last for up to 6 months, so that mightn't be necessary I think.
Thanks for your time, I really do appreciate this great forum.
xx

Taz2

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2019, 07:17:52 AM »

It's understandable to feel anxious but when it's down in black and white in the leaflet I feel it was unnecessary for the nurse to interpret the spotting as a problem when you are still in the first six months. I had constant bleeding, a full-on period type bleed, for the whole of the six months. At the end of that time I felt I'd given it enough time to settle so then returned to a sequi HRT which gave me a predictable light bleed each month. Others on here have done the same after having bleeding problems with on a conti regime. My GP just switched me over and I wasn't referred for a scan due to it being in the first six months of usage

Please try not to worry. If you search the forum you will find how common this annoying side effect is.

Taz x  :)

Sooze

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2019, 07:34:12 AM »

Spotting within the first 6 months of starting HRT whether having not been on HRT , or changing from a different type of HRT is very common even if post menopausal. If it's heavy bleeding or after 6 months of the same regime (no change in dose) it needs investigating.
HTH,
S

suzysunday

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2019, 05:40:49 PM »

Yes bleeding can be expected in the first 6 months.  I don't think it's more weird with tibolone than any other her.  I took tibolone for 18 months and did get some bleeding, but that was after 18 months.  It had caused womb lining thickening and the bleeding stopped when I stopped the tibolone.  The lining returned to normal after a couple of months without it .
It's all really worrying.   
Thanks Taz, yes, thats what I read too last night.
My rational brain thinks yes, but the health anxiety part of my brain starts spinning with worry.
My gut reaction was to stop it right away, but its already helped so much with the flushes, dryness etc.
I wish I understood more about how it works, does it mean my womb lining is thickening..... is it safe to take it alone, does it have the right balance of hormones to be ok......health anxiety woman speaking here !! I have a GP appt in 2 weeks, but he is rather vague on his answers.
The nurse told me that if I'm still spotting when I have a blood test in 2 weeks, to ask for an examination. But I read that the spotting can last for up to 6 months, so that mightn't be necessary I think.
Thanks for your time, I really do appreciate this great forum.
xx